Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Marinegeekswife, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TheDoberman

TheDoberman Notable member

I watched this video and learned that this is by far the most easiest way to tape. I was a first time taper when I tried this, and now my Doberman's ears stand very nicely!! :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kandeebee

Kandeebee Notable member

That's very great! I'm going to buy all the supplies tonight so I can start :) your puppy looks great! Very encouraging. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheDoberman

TheDoberman Notable member

Thank you!!

4. Kandeebee

Kandeebee Notable member

I did it! Followed the video exactly and here's the result! I think I did a good job and it was pretty easy. And he got a treat for being so good :) thank you thank you! image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. first dob

first dob Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm going to try this today!
    First a trip to the hardware store :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You did a great job!!! :thumbsup:

7. first dob

I got it! She won't hold still so it takes two of us. That fold on the uncut side of the ear goes back, right?

8. first dob

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

You "preserve" the fold. So when you go to tape, the part that is already folded back on itself should be taped in that folded position. I hope that makes sense.

10. JerseyFirefighter

JerseyFirefighter Site Sponsor

This video is a big confidence boost. Ears to the sky for my boy when it comes time.

• Like Like x 2
  11. first dob

I'm having a problem. The bottom part without duct tape that goes into the ear canal keeps breaking off. Suggestions? Should I use tampons instead? She won't leave them alone. Rubs her head on stuff & scratches. I've looked & her ears look fine. No sores or anything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JanS

Wow, I've never heard of that happening before because the backer rod is nice and flexible. How far down are you putting the duct tape? I only leave about 3/8" exposed without the duct tape and it's never been a problem.

13. first dob

Ok, maybe I left too much out. It broke right where the tape ended.

14. Megsha

Megsha Novitiate

Question, why is important to tape the fold back? What will happen if it's taped down? Thanks:)

15. JanS

The fold is natural in the ear and if it get's taped flat it will affect the way it stands and make the appearance unnatural. I hope that made sense. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Megsha

Megsha Novitiate

Thanks. Your video is REALLY great and as I've been tapping, I've been really working against that fold, so today I will repost and do just like you have shown. When I watched the vet tech Post, I really recall her tapping it down so that's why I was doing it that way. Luckily, my pups ears are standing, but I will definitely be easier to tape now with your video!! Thanks a bunch!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. JanS

Yes, unfortunately vet techs and vets do not specialize in taping and sometimes give terrible advice so we always recommend that people do them themselves. There are a few here and there who do a good job, but it isn't the case with the majority of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. chunkawunka1

chunkawunka1 Novitiate

This is the best video I have seen. Thank you so much. My Axel is only 11 wks and not happy with the Vet so far.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1452534029,1452533908][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I am having a hard time to understand which way to tape the fold. It looks like you are taping it back toward the rear of the dog??

19. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yep you always go back toward the head so you have the natural fold laying correctly :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. chunkawunka1

chunkawunka1 Novitiate

Thanks!