Hotspot on Kali

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
I took Kali into the Vet the other day. She has a spot on her front left leg that she has been licking. She started it sometime in early December and I have been correcting her for it but, obviously she gets to it when I'm not around or sleeping. It just never healed and was looking so raw. So off to the vet we went.

You can see it here.
20180108_150416.jpg 20180108_150411.jpg

Not too long ago I was with her at the vet for her luxating patella and she was actually licking the other front leg! :facepalm: He had put her on an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory and it healed up nicely. We did the same thing this time, but I more or less insisted on an X-ray. He kept telling me he didn't think he was going to see anything on the X-ray and of course we didn't. :whistle: But it gave me peace of mind to know there was nothing going on inside there. And, of course, now we have a Baseline x-ray to look at if something does happen. I told him how hard she will play at tuggie. She loves it! She will bring you a toy and just dare you to take it. When you do, OMG, she is in it! Lots of noise, growling and acting like she's going to take your arm off and she never lets go! But after several minutes of that, she will quit and start to lick at her front legs. Every time she did that I wondered if she's in pain? It must be, if she is stopping and licking it. It was a concern. But after seeing no arthritis on the x-rays, my vet feels it is either some type of tendinitis or just simply not used to it and she strains the ligaments or tendons. I mean, we don't play tug all the time. And then of course, when she starts licking, it starts to get into that vicious cycle of a hotspot. So now we'll see how quickly this heals up and if I can keep her from doing it again. I thought of wrapping it but figured she'd get that off in a heartbeat.

Thoughts???

Aww poor girl. Otis (our GSP) had a problem with them and it all started with a bug bite that he didn't want to leave alone.
I wonder if a combo of the snow and cold irritated the area and she started licking it because it was bothering her? That could especially be the case if she's been wearing boots during the cold and a little bit of snow built up at the top of the boot.
I learned a really handy way to wrap a foot/leg so they can't get it off at the Red Cross dog first aid class but I'd have to look up exactly how to do it again. If I find it I'll post it.

Thanks Jan! My girlfriend was telling me to just put some Vetericyn on a gauze and wrap it with Vet wrap. I was going to try that. I wasn't sure how well it would stay on being right at the ankle but it's worth a shot. I never did find her boots so it's not from that.

Yes, I'd definitely try the Vetericyn since it works great. I think the Vet wrap is a great idea too with some gauze under it and it does seem to stay on spots like that if you go quite a bit over and under it to hold it in place.

You may remember Drake's tangle with some deer that jumped our fence for water. He got a good scrape on his hind leg from I'm guessing a hoof. Of course he started licking it. :rolleyes: Took forever to get it healed up. :groan:
I got some serious skills with vet wrap through that process. You can make little slits around joints to keep them moving. They also make a vet wrap that has bitter apple or some no chew stuff in it. That stuff became my best friend. :biggrin:

I took Kali into the Vet the other day. She has a spot on her front left leg that she has been licking. She started it sometime in early December and I have been correcting her for it but, obviously she gets to it when I'm not around or sleeping. It just never healed and was looking so raw. So off to the vet we went.

You can see it here.
View attachment 79009 View attachment 79010

Not too long ago I was with her at the vet for her luxating patella and she was actually licking the other front leg! :facepalm: He had put her on an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory and it healed up nicely. We did the same thing this time, but I more or less insisted on an X-ray. He kept telling me he didn't think he was going to see anything on the X-ray and of course we didn't. :whistle: But it gave me peace of mind to know there was nothing going on inside there. And, of course, now we have a Baseline x-ray to look at if something does happen. I told him how hard she will play at tuggie. She loves it! She will bring you a toy and just dare you to take it. When you do, OMG, she is in it! Lots of noise, growling and acting like she's going to take your arm off and she never lets go! But after several minutes of that, she will quit and start to lick at her front legs. Every time she did that I wondered if she's in pain? It must be, if she is stopping and licking it. It was a concern. But after seeing no arthritis on the x-rays, my vet feels it is either some type of tendinitis or just simply not used to it and she strains the ligaments or tendons. I mean, we don't play tug all the time. And then of course, when she starts licking, it starts to get into that vicious cycle of a hotspot. So now we'll see how quickly this heals up and if I can keep her from doing it again. I thought of wrapping it but figured she'd get that off in a heartbeat.

Thoughts???
Any added stresses?
Possibly because it's winter and she doesn't get out as much?

Daisy would get them once every year or so. Usually coincided with the windy season.
We're battling one on Rocky at the moment on his nub.
He didn't get as much exercise when I was out off my foot. He had another starting on his thigh but it's much better now.
If you look hard enough I suspect stressing out about something if there is nothing physically wrong with the limb or place they lick.

Aw, poor Kali :( that looks like a nasty hot spot, bless her heart!

Tara has a hot spot on her left paw, she’s had it since she arrived in the UK the year before last. We try our upmost best to stop her licking and gnawing it.

It’s a very small patch with no hair growth.

B796C559-44DC-482D-AF61-26D1A89DF220.jpeg

It’s clearly visible in the pic above. The vet has taken a look at it but didn’t take any action as it’s not inflamed or changed in anyway. I’ll still keep my eye on it.

I think with Tara it’s a stress thing and I think as time progresses with us she’ll learn to settle and leave it alone.

If you want to try a natural remedy search ‘Calendula’ you can buy it in a cream, lotion, oil....at most health food shops. It’s highly effective (fast healing) and will calm the itch.

Hot spots suck. Straight up suck. I would try to wrap it. Like Genny said, you can cut slits so as to not immobilize the joint. Just be sure to change the dressing, a lot. I always over change. I'd rather "waste" bandage than risk an infection.

Dermabond might be another option. But I dunno if that would work for a hot spot since a major factor is that they have already made a habit of messing with it.

And hubs wonders why I'm so crazy about the dogs licking/chewing themselves. The sound alone drives me nuts, but I haaaaate dealing with "open" wounds.

You may remember Drake's tangle with some deer that jumped our fence for water. He got a good scrape on his hind leg from I'm guessing a hoof. Of course he started licking it. :rolleyes: Took forever to get it healed up. :groan:
I got some serious skills with vet wrap through that process. You can make little slits around joints to keep them moving. They also make a vet wrap that has bitter apple or some no chew stuff in it. That stuff became my best friend. :biggrin:
Yes, I remember. :( I'm gonna try to wrap it. I'm pretty darn good at wrapping hooves now so I'm confident I can wrap this. I just want to do it when I am home for a while so I can watch her. :)

My sister and I were talking about that bitter apple. I told her some dogs love it! lol And she said it isn't cheap so if they end up loving it, well, you just wasted your money. If she won't leave the wrap along, I'll check my dog place here to see if she carries that bitter apple Vet Wrap!

Any added stresses?
Possibly because it's winter and she doesn't get out as much?

Daisy would get them once every year or so. Usually coincided with the windy season.
We're battling one on Rocky at the moment on his nub.
He didn't get as much exercise when I was out off my foot. He had another starting on his thigh but it's much better now.
If you look hard enough I suspect stressing out about something if there is nothing physically wrong with the limb or place they lick.
No stresses except not getting out as much as they'd like. Lack of exercise is a killer for so many things, in my opinion. That could be a cause for some 'recreational' licking....and then it becomes a vicious circle. They lick, it feels raw, so they lick again. On and on. The Vet says there's nothing wrong with the bones so its got to be tendons or something. I should take a video of her playing Tug. She is ON. lol She loves it! But you'll see how she'll quit and then go lick those front legs.

I hope Rocky stops licking too!

Aw, poor Kali :( that looks like a nasty hot spot, bless her heart!

Tara has a hot spot on her left paw, she’s had it since she arrived in the UK the year before last. We try our upmost best to stop her licking and gnawing it.

Yup, I can easily see Tara's. :( I guess this is very common. I was hoping that I could keep her from licking it and making it worse, but when it didn't heal, I wanted to see what the Vet thought. I'm hoping with the pills this will heal up like the other leg! Then I hope I can keep an eye out and nip it in the bud if she starts again.
And hubs wonders why I'm so crazy about the dogs licking/chewing themselves. The sound alone drives me nuts, but I haaaaate dealing with "open" wounds.
:pullhair: OMG, why is it that that sound drives us crazy!!!!? lol Both my husband and I can't stand it either! :spit: In a way, I'm glad though, because I hope it nips any 'recreational' licking with Buddy right in the bud!!

I'll post that video and also show any improvements on Kali's leg! Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!! I so appreciate it!

Gahhhhh these dogs ! Ares did a number on both his hocks ... IMG_5823.JPGIMG_5824.JPGI had to warm and cold compress him the vet wasn't open till the next day and this wasn't an e vet situation. The top is no compress obviously swollen, bottom after compress.
But this all started by a simple scrape of the hocks that he wouldn't leave alone.
Well I tried wrapping, didn't work, in fact it made it worse.
Well time to bust out the cone, he went to the vet got antibiotics and a foam solution to rub on his hocks.
He wears his cone when he can't be watched and at night and it's almost completely healed up :)

I hope Kali gets better soon :)

Oh, poor Ares! Yeah, when they get a wound, then they won't leave it alone. Even Buddy had a scraped paw pad and was licking at it. But I've been on him to 'leave it' and so far, so good. I hope the antibiotics help Ares heal up!

Oh, poor Ares! Yeah, when they get a wound, then they won't leave it alone. Even Buddy had a scraped paw pad and was licking at it. But I've been on him to 'leave it' and so far, so good. I hope the antibiotics help Ares heal up!
He's almost back to normal :) the hair is coming back and they aren't red or swollen anymore :)

How’s Kalis hot spot, @MyBuddy? I’ve been thinking of her.
Thank you! :love:

It's not totally gone but it's looking better. I don't know if I should still be concerned or not. But I haven't seen her licking at it that much either. Might just take some time for the hair to grow back. Here is what it look like this morning.
20180131_060904.jpg

She has never shown any signs of limping or slowing down! She still runs like the wind!

Oh yes,you can definitely see an improvement. Thanks for the update and I’m sure the hair will grow back over time. Just need to wait for the skin irritation to clear and I believe it can take up to 3 months for full re-growth.

Phew! That looks so much better! Great!

Seeing a video of Kali playing tug would be cool! I know, though, it can be tough to arrange someone to video things.

I did catch her licking it this morning. :tap: I just hope she'll leave it alone so we don't end up in the same situation all over again.

I think about catching her playing tug on video all the time LOL I hope I can do it one day. Even if I have a camera in one hand and a toy in the other! LOL

Back