Herding fun-My Sheltie earned her AKC Pretial title July 16, 2016

obbanner

Hot Topics Subscriber
Sabrina earned her AKC Pretrial title. The PT course is just a little bit easier than the basic trialing course, so she should be ready for trialing this fall. It's the herding equivalent of Beginner Novice in Obedience.

I put up the video of her second run which earned her title. I annotated the video to explain what's happening on the course. The video is 6 minutes long.

The first run was a hoot. We have 10 minutes to complete the course. Sabrina was a bit hinky when we entered the ring and walked to our starting position. I put her in a sit to indicate we were ready, then started the clock by sending her. She made contact with the sheep, then took a very long pee. Then started slowly walking to the sheep, and took a much longer poop! That took a minute and a half, not including the time after I sent her to the sheep, so we didn't get serious until over two minutes passed. Sabrina is empty and feeling great, so she gets the sheep riled up by chasing them around. We finally settle down and start going through the course. At the last obstacle, we lose the sheep and they run down to the far end of the course and the judge gives me the two minute warning. We get the sheep back and through the last obstacle, bring the sheep down the far side to the bottom side, and when I get there, the sidelines start chanting HURRY, HURRY! I run to the exhaust pen, fortunately with the sheep at my heels, turn to give Sabrina the required STAND, pen the sheep and the stock handler tells me I did it in 9:53. My official time was 9:39, but the stock handler was closer to the action and was probably more accurate.

I changed back into the club colors because I was working the trial as a stock handler. The AKC doesn't allow handlers to wear anything in the ring that indicates membership in a club.

RS_20160716_170436-Ribbons.jpg

Back