Getting Publicly Shamed for Ear Cropping :/

Something else to add...do you have plans for your future Dobe? Agility? Schutzhund? Rally? Canicross? Therapy? Something else?

If your main goal is a healthy, stable pet, be clear about that with your breeder. You don't want to end up with a drivey dog! They can have a strong work drive and off-the-chart intelligence.
 
Something else to add...do you have plans for your future Dobe? Agility? Schutzhund? Rally? Canicross? Therapy? Something else?

If your main goal is a healthy, stable pet, be clear about that with your breeder. You don't want to end up with a drivey dog! They can have a strong work drive and off-the-chart intelligence.

We're quite keen to get him into Agility training. But yes, totally understand where you're coming from.

Tell me if I'm overstepping here but would you mind if I send you a DM with the websites that I have found from breeders. Just to get your opinion on them. Absolutely no rush and would not be offended if you didn't want to.
 
We're quite keen to get him into Agility training. But yes, totally understand where you're coming from.

Tell me if I'm overstepping here but would you mind if I send you a DM with the websites that I have found from breeders. Just to get your opinion on them. Absolutely no rush and would not be offended if you didn't want to.

Yeah, sure :)
 
I’ve had my Doberman Lex now for 1 1/2 years and I had to stop taking her out because I had so many comments about me cropping her ears and how that was inhuman. Plus on top of that they have gone a lot further since one of her ears has fallen. It has come down almost to fights in stores and in parks. I hate it. She is such a sweet dog and I won’t take her out more bc of stupid people. It’s not worth me getting into with someone and hen she gets wound up bc she knows I’m getting upset. But hey, play stupid games when stupid prizes. Best of luck to you!!!
 
With our first girl I didn't get much opinions but that was 8 years ago. Now that we are about to get our new little girl people keep saying aweh dont do the ear crop. And personally I like both looks so i could care less but my husband does like the crop better he says its a significant thing that makes the doberman so unique. We are in canada and no vets will do the ear crop but the breeder brings the puppies to washington . With the border closed I was worried she wouldn't be able to and if so so be it we are gettinf a natural one then but it has been said it will be able to get the crop still in washington.
 
ummmm i actually just saw some interesting facts on this. They said that you don't see floppy ears on animals in the wild and there's a reason for that: They're more hygienic, they're more efficient at pinpointing sounds, they can't be grabbed onto in an attack situation, and they're more expressive so easier for other animals to read their body language. I believe Dobe's had naturally standing ears and with cross breeding, lost them?
I could be wrong but im pretty sure the dobermans have always had the ears floppy and that they would get the ear crop back then just like today to get the standing ears.
 
I could be wrong but im pretty sure the dobermans have always had the ears floppy and that they would get the ear crop back then just like today to get the standing ears.
I believe that in the very early days of the breed, they had naturally prick (standing) ears, but the breed lost that as it progressed. So, yes @LifeofRubie is right on all counts with her comment.

It was actually here on DCF that I first saw the notion that you don't find animals in the wild with floppy ears, and it was @AresMyDobie who made me aware of this.
 
I believe that in the very early days of the breed, they had naturally prick (standing) ears, but the breed lost that as it progressed. So, yes @LifeofRubie is right on all counts with her comment.

It was actually here on DCF that I first saw the notion that you don't find animals in the wild with floppy ears, and it was @AresMyDobie who made me aware of this.

From reading about Louis doberman it does say he did crop his dogs ears. "
As early as the late 1600s, ears were cropped on dogs used for protection, fighting and hunting large game, primarily for safety reasons. Ears are a ready target for attackers to grab"
 
From reading about Louis doberman it does say he did crop his dogs ears. "
As early as the late 1600s, ears were cropped on dogs used for protection, fighting and hunting large game, primarily for safety reasons. Ears are a ready target for attackers to grab"
I believe Louis Dobermann would have cropped even if the dogs' ears stood naturally- he wanted to eliminate a potential hand-hold on the dogs. The crops we see today are highly stylized versions of the original crops.
 
From reading about Louis doberman it does say he did crop his dogs ears. "
As early as the late 1600s, ears were cropped on dogs used for protection, fighting and hunting large game, primarily for safety reasons. Ears are a ready target for attackers to grab"
It depends on when we're talking about.
 
I believe Louis Dobermann would have cropped even if the dogs' ears stood naturally- he wanted to eliminate a potential hand-hold on the dogs. The crops we see today are highly stylized versions of the original crops.
Good on him, then.
 
I believe Louis Dobermann would have cropped even if the dogs' ears stood naturally- he wanted to eliminate a potential hand-hold on the dogs. The crops we see today are highly stylized versions of the original crops.
Yeah looking at the first doberman picture it was a really short crop. Def looked like any ear holding was eliminated.
 
I agree that it doesn't make a great deal of difference about the actual temperament of the Doberman, but do you guys think is better to crop or not. I am looking at getting a Dobie from Nobilis Domum Kennel - criação selecionada da raça Dobermann em Brasília - DF in Brazil. Because there is a prohibition on ear cropping and tail docking. Well, from what I can see it depends on what the law enforcers consider 'maus tratamentos' or abusive(evil) treatment. I prefer the look with the crop, and the breeder said that it would be easier if the dog had a foreign pedigree. Anyway, I have options in the US, but I really cannot decide. Also, this breeder in Brazil(and another I know) breeds European working line. Nobilis Domum has the only female Doberman with a title in level 3 Schutzhund. Really can't decide. The breeder said that if there is a change in the law, he may start offering those services again.
 
but do you guys think is better to crop or not.
I think it's better to crop!

You will hear many people say it's merely "cosmetic," but I disagree. I can point to a handful of purposes cropping serves. I have done so in other threads on here.
 
I think it's better to crop!

You will hear many people say it's merely "cosmetic," but I disagree. I can point to a handful of purposes cropping serves. I have done so in other threads on here.
I grew up with Huskies and GSDs, so I prefer the erect ear appearance, although I prefer the Rottweiler normal(tail). I heard though that Dobermans that do protection or Schutzhund often have problems if their ears are left normal. One said that they blister easily and get infected.
 
I grew up with Huskies and GSDs, so I prefer the erect ear appearance, although I prefer the Rottweiler normal(tail). I heard though that Dobermans that do protection or Schutzhund often have problems if their ears are left normal. One said that they blister easily and get infected.
I'd agree with that on that aspect of the ear thing you mention.

It's funny on the tail thing: I've been looking into other breeds like the Cane Corso. They have docked tails, but most of them are too long for me, aesthetically. The standard says dock at the 4th joint if I'm not mistaken, but I see some tails that are 5 or 6 inches long. Even 4 inches long is too long for me – this, especially since I see so many Corsi that are so waggy with the tail. I detest that look – the rapidly wagging, silly and gay (a technical term) docked tail. I also see the same in the Boerboel. So if I were to get one of those breeds, I would try to get the breeder to either give mine a nice short dock (which I understand is almost not possible because they don't know which dog is going to which home at that age) or just leave the tail intact! That said, I know that goes against the breed standard and I know how I feel about people saying they want things their way when it comes to the Doberman. Hmmm.

I'm hesitant to say this, but I also have been thinking about the topic of docking in the Doberman. I've heard it said that the tail helps dogs balance, and I believe it. I can tell you that for some reason, Oji falls over fairly often when he's running around and juking this way and that, and stopping and turning. Still, I realize that tail docking serves some functional purposes as well.
 
I'd agree with that on that aspect of the ear thing you mention.

It's funny on the tail thing: I've been looking into other breeds like the Cane Corso. They have docked tails, but most of them are too long for me, aesthetically. The standard says dock at the 4th joint if I'm not mistaken, but I see some tails that are 5 or 6 inches long. Even 4 inches long is too long for me – this, especially since I see so many Corsi that are so waggy with the tail. I detest that look – the rapidly wagging, silly and gay (a technical term) docked tail. I also see the same in the Boerboel. So if I were to get one of those breeds, I would try to get the breeder to either give mine a nice short dock (which I understand is almost not possible because they don't know which dog is going to which home at that age) or just leave the tail intact! That said, I know that goes against the breed standard and I know how I feel about people saying they want things their way when it comes to the Doberman. Hmmm.

I'm hesitant to say this, but I also have been thinking about the topic of docking in the Doberman. I've heard it said that the tail helps dogs balance, and I believe it. I can tell you that for some reason, Oji falls over fairly often when he's running around and juking this way and that, and stopping and turning. Still, I realize that tail docking serves some functional purposes as well.
My feeling is it depends on the dog and owner. The tail is probably better docked if the dog is doing things that could leave it injured, but otherwise could be left normal. Dobermans seem to have a very thin tail. Also, I know from experience that the tail is a handle that people can grab unto. Here an interesting side-line: I had a macaw for about three years, and I probably saved his life several times by grabbing his tail when he started to fly into the road(after being spooked). Sadly, he was with my dad and flew into the road and was killed instantly. Even with our dogs, if there is an emergency and the dog must be stopped, the tail is handy. I would be scared, though, to do it on a more delicate tail. Our GSDs have thick and luxurious tails.

I agree on the tail dock. Docking is for usefulness, not show. What is the point of docking if you leave it that long. To say nothing about the way they crop the Cane Corso's ears. They take them almost all the way off. It's a little humorous that they do the same thing with the Dogo Argentino's ears, but they leave the tail.

I wonder how they got this picture but it is interesting. I still think that the Doberman has a somewhat delicate tail, and that that should be taken into consideration.
 

Attachments

  • Crop vs not cropped.webp
    Crop vs not cropped.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Doberman uncropped.webp
    Doberman uncropped.webp
    101.9 KB · Views: 9
  • doberman-pinscher-portrait-photo.webp
    doberman-pinscher-portrait-photo.webp
    526.6 KB · Views: 9
I'm hesitant to say this, but I also have been thinking about the topic of docking in the Doberman. I've heard it said that the tail helps dogs balance, and I believe it. I can tell you that for some reason, Oji falls over fairly often when he's running around and juking this way and that, and stopping and turning. Still, I realize that tail docking serves some functional purposes as well.
I agree with the function of the tail just from watching my cat running - she uses it a lot and she is just a tiny 7 lb cat, so imagine what difference it would make for a big dog.
Dobermans seem to have a very thin tail.
I have wondered if all Doberman tails are really so thin and delicate. My euro male has a thick nub and I noticed our local American Dobermans had thinner ones, but those tails were docked, so I could only judge based on the thickness of the nub. I think if Kaiser had a full tail, I would imagine it to be pretty sturdy. That said, for how much he smashes his nub into walls and doorways, would it be injury prone, who knows.
 

Back
Top