• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

First heat

MichiH

Hot Topics Subscriber
Pepper is very swollen down below and I’m curious when will she begin to bleed?
Also, do male dogs already smell her starting her heat?
While away and out walking a few dogs tried to get to her. So how does or manage walking their dog in heat? She’s always on leash and with me. I know part of it was bad owners not paying attention and letting their dogs do whatever. It was just unbelievable how many dogs I had to yell at to stay back and then finally the owners would get their dog.

Should she wear a diaper when we walk during her entire heat cycle? And if so does she just urinate with it on?
Thank you!
 
Having my first intact female, I'll be following you closely! 😉 LOL I only had one female Doberman and she was already spayed when I got her from the breeder. And my Pomeranian we're not not a problem. This will be my first experience with something similar that you're going through. So no advice for you, sorry. But I'll be waiting for answers along with you!
 
Pepper is very swollen down below and I’m curious when will she begin to bleed?
Also, do male dogs already smell her starting her heat?
While away and out walking a few dogs tried to get to her. So how does or manage walking their dog in heat? She’s always on leash and with me. I know part of it was bad owners not paying attention and letting their dogs do whatever. It was just unbelievable how many dogs I had to yell at to stay back and then finally the owners would get their dog.

Should she wear a diaper when we walk during her entire heat cycle? And if so does she just urinate with it on?
Thank you!
i would not walk my female dog during heat cycle.. just too much temptation for trouble.. especially that you have already experienced dogs approaching.. this is not just advice for your female dog but for your own safety as well.. if you need to yell at dogs to back off.. your putting you and your dog in harms way..
 
I stopped walking my females when they were in heat. You never know how 'anxious' a male will be to get to her...
I also NEVER left them out in the yard without supervision, even though we had a 6ft fence. Just never wanted to take a chance. So a little inconvenience keeps everyone safe for 3 weeks.
 
Please think of them as Panties not diapers - there will be blood, yes. But diapers are made for pee & poop. Disposable panty liners on Peppers new panties, changed often enough will keep everything sanitary. Panties are not made to pee or poop in, nor will a panty liner be enough for that kind of volume, so do not have panties on her when she goes out to pee or poop! Since you only have an invisible fence (correct me if I'm mis-remembering) I would take her out on leash EVERY time like when she was a puppy. I have a hook by the door for the panties, take them off when going out, put back on when you come in. You can walk her, but potty her first, put the pants on then walk and don't let her squat! Or walk without pants. I have been everywhere with Asha in heat: classes, town walks, IGP practice (they encouraged me to come because the wanted their dogs to be proofed against this distraction as females in heat are allowed to trial). No dog has ever come up to Asha while in heat anywhere. Conformation dog shows have hundreds of dogs on skinny little chains and bitches in season are allowed to show. Granted these are trained dogs, but I got warnings that coyotes would come to my yard and that never happened. Still, it is your job to protect her and manage her and do not let her out of your sight unless she's in the house. First 9 days of bleeding a bitch usually won't let a dog mount her. From day 10 - 20 is critical that you manage her as during that time are a few days of what they call standing heat where she will accept a mate. @Rits knows plenty about the timing and protocols in public and other dogs.

Do whatever you are comfortable with, but it's really not that difficult.
 
🤔 Why when I 'watch' this thread I'm not getting notification? I've noticed that with a couple actually.

But good information! So is it only once a year that they go in heat?

Oops, I meant twice a year.
 
Please think of them as Panties not diapers - there will be blood, yes. But diapers are made for pee & poop. Disposable panty liners on Peppers new panties, changed often enough will keep everything sanitary. Panties are not made to pee or poop in, nor will a panty liner be enough for that kind of volume, so do not have panties on her when she goes out to pee or poop! Since you only have an invisible fence (correct me if I'm mis-remembering) I would take her out on leash EVERY time like when she was a puppy. I have a hook by the door for the panties, take them off when going out, put back on when you come in. You can walk her, but potty her first, put the pants on then walk and don't let her squat! Or walk without pants. I have been everywhere with Asha in heat: classes, town walks, IGP practice (they encouraged me to come because the wanted their dogs to be proofed against this distraction as females in heat are allowed to trial). No dog has ever come up to Asha while in heat anywhere. Conformation dog shows have hundreds of dogs on skinny little chains and bitches in season are allowed to show. Granted these are trained dogs, but I got warnings that coyotes would come to my yard and that never happened. Still, it is your job to protect her and manage her and do not let her out of your sight unless she's in the house. First 9 days of bleeding a bitch usually won't let a dog mount her. From day 10 - 20 is critical that you manage her as during that time are a few days of what they call standing heat where she will accept a mate. @Rits knows plenty about the timing and protocols in public and other dogs.

Do whatever you are comfortable with, but it's really not that difficult.
Ok good information and thank you! I don’t have a choice not to walk her or have her out in public. She’s always with me and always on leash- now will be leashed in the yard too with me. She’s always protected by me and I will ensure nothing happens.

Yard does have an invisible fence and we live in a suburban area where I don’t have issues with off leash dogs, thankfully.

I did order pants for dogs and will get some liners for her too. I’ll see how the walks go with pants, good idea to potty her before we head out. Thank you.

We go away next week and I’m just curious when she’ll begin to bleed? She is super sleepy recently, but we also were away last week and she had a lot of activity.
 
I’m curious when will she begin to bleed?
It should be soon if she's swollen and males are noticing her so be ready for about 3 - 4 weeks of keeping close tabs on her and try to keep her with you in your own yard as much as you can.
Should she wear a diaper when we walk during her entire heat cycle? And if so does she just urinate with it on?
I always take the pants off when I take them outside so they can freely do their business. As stated, they're made to help catch the bleeding in the house. There's no need to put them on until she starts bleeding. Della bled so little that she didn't need them at all.
 
It should be soon if she's swollen and males are noticing her so be ready for about 3 - 4 weeks of keeping close tabs on her and try to keep her with you in your own yard as much as you can.

I always take the pants off when I take them outside so they can freely do their business. As stated, they're made to help catch the bleeding in the house. There's no need to put them on until she starts bleeding. Della bled so little that she didn't need them at all.
Ok good to know thank you @JanS! Yes, she’s with me 24/7 and been swollen for a little over a week. She always gets attention from dogs on walks sadly, but it’s now increased. 😫

Ooh nice hopefully she won’t be a heavy bleeder either. He pants arrive soon! I’m going to take them with this when we go away. Again, she’s with me or crates if we leave her alone.
 
Is there relation to anal glands leaking and heat cycles?
I've never noticed a relation between the two, but my dog has leaked on and off all her life. Opposite of releasing when overstimulated, she would leak when fast asleep or otherwise very relaxed. :scratch: I asked the vet about it when she was a puppy and they just shrugged, no answers. Probably another danged Doberman thing... LOL. Since there is a lot of fluid building up in that area it's likely that pressure contributes to leakage, but it's definitely one of those things you could do without!
 
I've never noticed a relation between the two, but my dog has leaked on and off all her life. Opposite of releasing when overstimulated, she would leak when fast asleep or otherwise very relaxed. :scratch: I asked the vet about it when she was a puppy and they just shrugged, no answers. Probably another danged Doberman thing... LOL. Since there is a lot of fluid building up in that area it's likely that pressure contributes to leakage, but it's definitely one of those things you could do without!
She’s been doing it when we walk in the beginning of the walk. It’s been a recent thing. I did have them checked before and vet said they weren’t full.

Good call with the added pressure down there too. For instance today she had a bm when we started our walk, then she got weird sat down and licked her rear end. It was her glands I checked 😬

Also, increased tiredness I suppose par for the course? She’s now walking behind me on walks lol. I’ve been cutting walks down to 30 min or just letting her sniff walk. She’s been napping a lot more and even with me 😍
 
Also, increased tiredness I suppose par for the course? She’s now walking behind me on walks lol. I’ve been cutting walks down to 30 min or just letting her sniff walk. She’s been napping a lot more
All dogs will be different, but with mine this tiredness usually begins after she goes out. So for mine from about a week or two after bleeding stops to about 2 months later, she is happy to do any work/training/play, but as soon as we finish she lays down and snoozes. Like hard sleep & snoring snoozes. I remember thinking after the first heat that maybe she finally got sane and was going to be a normal dog after all. Nope, she returned to "normal". LOL.
 
All dogs will be different, but with mine this tiredness usually begins after she goes out. So for mine from about a week or two after bleeding stops to about 2 months later, she is happy to do any work/training/play, but as soon as we finish she lays down and snoozes. Like hard sleep & snoring snoozes. I remember thinking after the first heat that maybe she finally got sane and was going to be a normal dog after all. Nope, she returned to "normal". LOL.
lol she’s a wild woman :)

This is all new to me and I appreciate the information and help. I’m watching her to see what she does and what is different. I keep checking for anything down there and only saw a tiny tiny bit last week of red.it was barely noticeable. So I’m thinking she will come into bleeding soon?

She definitely is zapped in her energy dept,it’s a nice change lol.
 
When you say she is swollen, are you talking about the vulva itself or the area between vulva and anus. The latter is what gets real puffy on mine about a week - 10 days before bleeding starts. If Peppers vulva is really swollen and has been for a week or more, she might be going through a silent heat (little or no bleeding). Haha, just what you need, another anomalie,
 
When you say she is swollen, are you talking about the vulva itself or the area between vulva and anus. The latter is what gets real puffy on mine about a week - 10 days before bleeding starts. If Peppers vulva is really swollen and has been for a week or more, she might be going through a silent heat (little or no bleeding). Haha, just what you need, another anomalie,
Oh no 😬 it’s her vulva that is swollen and pinkish. I know I wouldn’t freaking doubt it😭

Well, I suppose I’ll be googling it.

Her vulva has gradually gotten larger and now is pretty swollen it’s like an inter tube shape. She is kicking it often even when we walk she stops to lick it.
 
Yeah, I call that the baboon stage. Maybe others can say if their bitches ever swell like that before bleeding, but mine doesn't. It's big like that only after bleeding starts...
 
Yeah, I call that the baboon stage. Maybe others can say if their bitches ever swell like that before bleeding, but mine doesn't. It's big like that only after bleeding starts...
Oh crap ok, well I will wait and see what others say. I’ll call vet Monday too and get some info.

Only area swollen is her vulva lol baboon which it resembles lol
 

Back
Top