FCI countries with AKC doberman

I was trying to be sarcastic not in a bad way didn't meanto be rude, sorry if it felt that way. Actually I had a good time reading the discution.
IMHO Long ears or cropped modern style you can grab them easy, that ear style of the old picture looks more dificult to grab though.

I was trying to be sarcastic not in a bad way didn't meanto be rude, sorry if it felt that way. Actually I had a good time reading the discution.
IMHO Long ears or cropped modern style you can grab them easy, that ear style of the old picture looks more dificult to grab though.
I had a feeling on that but wasn't quite sure.A persons "tone" is lost through the keyboard.
I try to add tone with those handy little emoticons,that usually works.Other times it just pissed someone off even more if used correctly:D

There are basic difference but they are minor - the FCI allows for a little larger dog and they allow for 5%longer in males and 10% in females while the standard of both countries call for a square compact dog. Both standard call for elegance but the FCI produces a courser looking dog if they are not very careful in their breeding. FCI standard has done a beter job maintaining heavy bone without going to the Rottie look.

As far as judging -- any country that bans a a dog from a dog show that meets the REAL standard and then does not allow dogs to come in from countries that do allow c/d should be done away with. Otherwise they have succeed in doing exactly what they have done which is strangle what their countrymen are allowed to see. An uncropped do will not compete will with a cropped docked dog as they appearance is just so much more appealing for a protection dog. JMHO. So I don't see them coming together anytime soon. America may be the last hold out to preserve our beautiful Doberman as Herr Doberman intended from the beginning. All his dogs were cropped and docked. Who are we to destroy what he created???

I think you said it the best!

Guys for me a Doberman is a Doberman regardless of where he comes from or the differences in style and standard. If you read line for line both standards I see the same dog. Back in the 40's - 60's when you saw a dog in the ring you knew who bred it because each breeder developed a specific look that made their lines very distinguishable. For me that is exactly the same thing Euro's have done. They have develop the dog that matches their vision and ideal of the Doberman. But in the end they all came from the dogs created by Herr Dobermann. This is our breed here or there and the more we put down either side the more we hurt the Doberman we love. There are good dogs here and there are good dogs there just as there are poor examples here and poor examples there.

What hurts the most is the destruction of the standard, here or there that gave breeders the freedom to create and develop their ideas of the ideal within a framework that made this dog the most treasured, loved, respected, feared and admired of any breed. The Doberman is the ONLY breed bred specifically to work as a protector of man as his personal companion and champion. Now he is under attack by the AR fanatics who want to destroy half of what makes this dog so impressive.

We cry choice we cry destruction. When you choose a c/d breed you made the choice - c/d. To do other wise is to disrespect all that is sacred and that preserves the breed. We have a choice to choose the dog breed we like best - not to then come in and chance it on a whim. Purebred was never about what individuals like it was about preserving specific looks, task, coat, color, size all of it made the purebred. To make sure that happen breed clubs formed and standards were written. JMHO

Purebred was never about what individuals like it was about preserving specific looks, task, coat, color, size all of it made the purebred. To make sure that happen breed clubs formed and standards were written. JMHO
This is NOT directed at D4E or any other breeder in particular. My question is what is in place here in the States to enforce the standard? Is the European requirements working/enforced/bettering the breed?

I was at the Regional with the National so I saw how the judging went and it was typical AKC, where sometimes the judge was looking at the wrong end of the leash. Many quality dogs weren't put up because a lesser dog was handled better. That is another whole topic, but that also plays into the standard. Many standards have a DQ for height, but it is extremely rare that anyone including the judge will call for a wicket. What about the breeder who continues to breed the over standard dog? Who holds them accountable? How many breeders will cull a pup? What is done to eradicate a genetic issue once it has been identified in a line? Examples: Great temperament on a dog who throws bad hips? OFA Excellent who is timid and skittish? Are both of those dogs worthy of breeding? What happens when they are bred together? Are we willing to dilute a desired trait to correct a bad one and then have a plan to staunch up the desired trait again? Knowing that traits are often stronger in the 3rd generation, are we willing to sacrifice the 2nd gen to get what we need?

You might have a choice.. But people in other parts of the world do not.. Its not only illegal, C/D is explicitly against the FCI breed standard. (or will be soon)
I understand you are passionate about the C?D debate and dont want to lose your right as others already have. however when you add the standard as your argument it looses merit because the USA and the DPCA is about the last hold out and its not the only standard out there...

So my question is.. Since its not illegal in many FCI governed countries to crop and dock but it is against the standard and you cannot compete with a C/D Dobermann.. Would you still get your personal Dobermans C/D? or would you leave them natural so you can compete and title your progeny?

My question is what is in place here in the States to enforce the standard? Is the European requirements working/enforced/bettering the breed?

May I ask what is in place other places to "enforce" a standard that is made of millions of recessive genes that no one can control when they pop up???? Do you think the ZTP enforces good breeding practices???? Just read about the corruption that goes on in the "testing" it is still one judges opinion on any given day- ONE DAY....The true test is in numerous trials and venues were the dog continues to perform and achieve. How that dog holds up over time

Good breeders who are passionate about their breed are not going to breed for junk. Liars is a different matter and if they lie you will not be able to weed them out. All you do is eliminate good breeders and some dogs that might truly add great things to the gene pool but are eliminated just based on one criteria. No I have not seen better temperament coming out of dogs that have passed the ZTP any more than I have seen perfect dogs ONLY coming out of champion dogs.

Many standards have a DQ for height, but it is extremely rare that anyone including the judge will call for a wicket. What about the breeder who continues to breed the over standard dog? Who holds them accountable? How many breeders will cull a pup? What is done to eradicate a genetic issue once it has been identified in a line? Examples: Great temperament on a dog who throws bad hips? OFA Excellent who is timid and skittish? Are both of those dogs worthy of breeding? What happens when they are bred together? Are we willing to dilute a desired trait to correct a bad one and then have a plan to staunch up the desired trait again? Knowing that traits are often stronger in the 3rd generation, are we willing to sacrifice the 2nd gen to get what we need?

In a free country the cream does rise to the top and reputation is everything. What many seem to miss is good breeders hold themselves accountable. So do you honestly think a breed can prosper and succeed when any breeder only considers one aspect of the standard??? You have to look at the majority of what any dog throws not one or two that were not desirable. Who on earth would breed a timid or skittish dog for any reason especially in a working breed??? If we cull the vast majority because one person likes this but another want something different then where do you go????

So a good dog who throws bad hips - Do we have a test that predicts the future of puppies???? What part do you think the bitch played??? Was it just that one breeding that produced problems???? So who do you eliminate and based on what criteria??? How do you tell if a dog is OFA excellent that he will produce bad hips - so then OFA is useless???? Should one consider numbers-- say an ofa excellent dog produces 10% bad hips over a 5 year period??? Would you eliminate that dog if all the bad hips came out of one bitch???? How do your regulate successfully genetics?????

Breeders cannot look at just one dog - they have to consider so much more than one dog - they have to consider the impact on future generations, future pedigrees 10 years from now. I go to dog shows and unless it is a provisional judge who is not as familiar with every particular breed standard, the judging is very fair and most times they pick really nice specimens. You have to remember that sitting ring side you did not see the mouth, you did not feel the shoulder lay back and feel the rib spring - you did not put your hands on the dog which is a part of judging.

I do think a lot of losers have been very successfully in promoting the--- its political theory. Far too many of those who criticize have never shown a dog period. But something to consider is that judged a different day the same judge might pick a different dog. It is their evaluation on that particular day in that particular ring. I always make my picks based on what I can see and the majority of the time the dog I liked comes in first or second, so if I agree with the judging I see going on am I political??? Most of the time people who spend their money to send a dog to a handler send a nice dog because they can't afford to campaign a dud. So yes handlers win more often - but they also show more often.......so just the law of averages they win more often. I do not see anything out of balance with that. So much of the dislike is based on rumor, speculation and just down right sour grapes. A good dog will finish in a decent amount of time.

Do we honestly want the future of any breed in the hands of some PAID breed warden???? With that payment comes corruption. Breeds just need to stay focused on working to improve the breed they have - they need the freedom to create and develop - if you stifle that creativity you stifle progress.

For buyers who are primarily interested in temperament then they can CHOOSE a dog who has passed the WAE, but with that choice will come more responsibility for the owner to socialize and train that dog.

Do we honestly want the future of any breed in the hands of some PAID breed warden????
Hans Wiblishauser comes to mind here... Look what he has done and then look at his motive, it will be plain for all to see how easily one person can totally destroy a decade of work with a single signature.

You might have a choice.. But people in other parts of the world do not.. Its not only illegal, C/D is explicitly against the FCI breed standard. (or will be soon)
I understand you are passionate about the C?D debate and dont want to lose your right as others already have. however when you add the standard as your argument it looses merit because the USA and the DPCA is about the last hold out and its not the only standard out there...

So my question is.. Since its not illegal in many FCI governed countries to crop and dock but it is against the standard and you cannot compete with a C/D Dobermann.. Would you still get your personal Dobermans C/D? or would you leave them natural so you can compete and title your progeny?
Of course the guy who likes the breed and is not interested in shows is going to c/d no doubt about it, for sure that is what is going to happen here. Now if I were a judge, rules are rules and I wouldn't allow c/d dogs to participate. As a breeder I would show my dogs without c/d because people who usually goes to dog shows want to see how pure breed dogs look like and they are going to buy from serious breeders, the final owner c/d or not

Supply and demand also dictates that crop vets will become even more increasingly difficult to locate and the price will likely also increase.. Both these things will effect the overall percentages of Traditional vs Natural. IDC Breeders are now less likely to Dock a puppies tail at two day old and now tails will be amputated at 10 to 12 weeks.. :(

May I ask what is in place other places to "enforce" a standard that is made of millions of recessive genes that no one can control when they pop up???? Do you think the ZTP enforces good breeding practices???? Just read about the corruption that goes on in the "testing" it is still one judges opinion on any given day- ONE DAY....The true test is in numerous trials and venues were the dog continues to perform and achieve. How that dog holds up over time

Good breeders who are passionate about their breed are not going to breed for junk. Liars is a different matter and if they lie you will not be able to weed them out. All you do is eliminate good breeders and some dogs that might truly add great things to the gene pool but are eliminated just based on one criteria. No I have not seen better temperament coming out of dogs that have passed the ZTP any more than I have seen perfect dogs ONLY coming out of champion dogs.

So a good dog who throws bad hips - Do we have a test that predicts the future of puppies???? What part do you think the bitch played??? Was it just that one breeding that produced problems???? So who do you eliminate and based on what criteria??? How do you tell if a dog is OFA excellent that he will produce bad hips - so then OFA is useless???? Should one consider numbers-- say an ofa excellent dog produces 10% bad hips over a 5 year period??? Would you eliminate that dog if all the bad hips came out of one bitch???? How do your regulate successfully genetics?????
With only one ZTP test you cannot be sure if a dog peogeny will be good in work, if you bred a dog probed in work with a bitch probed in work you are indirectly influencing the genes of the progeny by transmiting the genes that gives them that specific capability, however not all the puppies are gong to be good in work because the parents surely has "bad genes" somewhere that have the posibility of being transmited, but you do can improve the character of the progeny. Same thing japonés with the hips or other genetic diseases. If you do a test like Rx you cannot know if the dog will have the disease until it has it, if you performances a genetic test you can now if the dog has a resesecive gene or a dominant gene. If a "bad gene" is recesive it doesn't mean that it is not going to pass to the next generation, it means that you should bred your dog with a bitch free of that gene so the posibilities of being transmited and expresed are reduced to the minimum. The point is that yes, if a dog has had progeny with different bitches and gives progeny with bad hips he should not be used even if he is a beautiful dog with no hip disease because he has passed the "bad gene", if there is a posibility that the bitches are the ones passing the disease then stop breeding with them or ban that bitches from breeding. Now always thre are going to be exeptions and somewhere a dog with bad hips is going to appear, but you have to try the best to aviod that dog to appear. 10% is a lot, consider a genetic human disease that appears in 10 of 100 newborns

Here is the something to think about - what if the first 5 years he throws 10% bad but the next 5 years he throws 1% bad. Gene do not play by the rules we know and understand. In a small gene pool one must be very careful about jumping too fast to any conclusion. A dog that does not pass is a different story. A good breeder should not breed that dog. DNA test a pretty conclusive but again you have to use good judgment and proceed with caution.

Just look at the PDK4 mutation - There are dogs PDK4 homo who have lived past 11 or 12 years of age. My thinking is since we know there are several genes that affect cardio and a PDK4 homo dogs live then are the other genes so strong that we need to SAVE them as we breed to eliminate the bad gene??? It certainly gives breeders something to think about - A dog that is PDK4 neg but dies young of cardio definitely should not be contributing to the gene pool as he obviously has enough of the fatal genes that as of this date are unknown. Genetics do not not play by concrete rules

But if a dog is PDK4 homo it means he has the disease even if he is not showing symptoms, for sure if you make a autopsy you will see the heart cells are abnormal. And if a dog negative any genetic disease dies from such disease there are several options: the genetic test was wrong, the diagnostic of the disease was wrong, the dog is within the 2% of the possibles impresicions of any test or it was a fake test. Any way the dog positive but with no symptoms should not breed, an the dog that dies of a genetic disease pretested or not should not breed. Just MHO, that is what I would do if I was a breeder, but maybe you are right and in the practice is more dificult, however i think it worth to sacrifice a good physical characteristic for healthier future dogs

But if a dog is PDK4 homo it means he has the disease even if he is not showing symptoms

What iT means is he does not produce enough of the PDK4 protein that can contribute - it does not mean he has cardio. He would have to have an unknown # of other genes that are the ones that actually trigger cardio. PDK4 in and of itself alone is not a fatal gene or no dogs would live past 10 who are PDK4 homo. And just like Vwd you would only responsibility breed him to PDK4 neg and continue working to PDK4 neg. PDK4 neg does not mean the dog has cardio. That is why when anyone advertises cardio clear it is false or misrepresentation.

I agree with Gel - I believe it is every breeders responsibility to do a necropsy to determine the condition of the heart as well as the reason for death.

But regardless starting at 7 (when they are considered a senior) things are going on that will lead to death. They are going to die regardless and that is what I think people do not understand. I think we can improve quality of life once diagnosed - I think we can reduce the numbers but I do not believe it will every disappear.

Of course is never going to disapear, they have it literaly in their genes and the diseases are going to appear some where despite of what we do, but got to diminish the probabilities, just like you said

Back