1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

New breeder

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Noraline De Bedulli, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Noraline De Bedulli

Noraline De Bedulli New Member

This site has already proved to be more than helpful with some of my questions so i wanted to drop a line on this new venture. I have owned the doberman breed for the last 20 years and i am extremely passionate about this animal i could not own another breed. I have learned a lot however i have a lot yet to learn. I am currently still doing my research on the subject.. and i have wanted to get into this for several years. Why am i interested in breeding dobermans? I am in love with this animal and dedicated to bringing more of these amazing creatures to our world. That said, i am dedicated to their optimal health and wellness and want to bring up to the standard for the breed. I have interest in both American and European bloodlines.

All that said, my question is on the AKC kennel registration. I do not currently show my dogs (although i had in the past) which is one of the requirements. I know so many breeders that have been able to register their kennel name with AKC without this requirement.

Both the mother and father i own and are AKC registered with full pedigrees and lineage, however must i be currently in show rings with them? Basically all i have at this point is the registered parents.. how can i set up a registered AKC kennel name with only that?

As i had stated above, i know many breeders who do not show or attend shows and they were able to accomplish this.. so i know it can be done in some way.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would contact AKC directly. They have always been very helpful. You can register a litter online but I would call first while sitting in front of a computer to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Register Your Litter With the American Kennel Club

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noraline De Bedulli

Not trying to register a litter yet... Just trying to Register an AKC kennel name for my dogs. I tried calling AKC and no one seemed to really know the answer to these questions. I will probably have to try again and see what progress i can make.

4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

The AKC does a lot of good (I guess it depends on who you ask!) but just because dogs are AKC registered, does not mean they were responsibly bred. Just because a breeder or kennel name is registered does not mean that breeder is reputable. Just because a dog is AKC registered does not mean it should be bred. If your dogs have limited registration (which a reputable breeder will register a puppy as), their litters cannot be registered and that was intentional from the breeder so that people can't buy their dogs and breed them for profit without their knowledge.

There are reputable breeders on this site so they will have some great guidelines for you but generally, people show and title their dogs to prove they are 'worth' breeding, their lineage would benefit the breed, etc. There is definitely a lot to it!! Finding a mentor would be your best bet! Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

For those unfamiliar with the 3 requirements:

1. Be a Breeder and Exhibitor in good standing with the American Kennel Club
    2. Have participated in AKC events through ownership of a dog (of the breed being applied for) that has competed in AKC Conformation, Companion, or Performance events
    3. Have registered 5 AKC litters of the applied for breed in the past 5 years or at least 1 litter in the past 5 years for provisional approval
    They require participation in SOMETHING sponsored by AKC other then just putting 2 dogs together to produce puppies. Go to a few shows, obedience trial, agility trials..etc and see what your dog(s) might excel at and get involved.

I got my first Dobe in 1988... produced my first litter in 2000. In 19 years (2000-2019) I have produced 7 litters. Although I use the prefix "Panama's", it is not a registered kennel name. Anyone I place a pup with, I do not require they use "Panama's" as a prefix to their pup's registered name as they are placed in pet/companion homes. If they are placed in a show home (only 1 from the last litter of 8) they are required to use Panama's as a prefix and I co-own.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I highly advise that you find your local dpca chapter club and get involved. They will be able to point you in the right direction, you'll make friends, learn a bunch, enter some shows, compete in obedience, performance, etc and hopefully find a mentor.

For breeding, breed for the betterment of the breed. We all think our dogs are beautiful and have great personalities. But, have they proven themselves? Does their conformation hold up to the standard (how else are we to preserve a breed if it doesn't continue to look like a Doberman, and yes you can breed away from this). Does their temperament hold up? Does their incredible smarts and obedience hold up? Do *something* with the two dogs you want to put together and show that they are worthy...the future puppy owners deserve that much.

Dobermans are prone to many genetic diseases. There are a number of health tests needing to be performed on both paired dogs. Some/most you cannot test for until after they turn 2. Please research into these tests too. There are breeders out there that like to cut corners with these tests and do the bare minimum so it *looks* like they care about the health to uninformed puppy buyers. It doesn't do this breed any good.

I think if you reach out to your local clubs, you'll be off to a great start all in all. Its great that you are asking questions and doing research now before you get started. Get involved in everything doberman, have fun with your gang and learn and do all you can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mahn0713

mahn0713 Jr Member

I always like to ask current and new breeders: what makes your dogs breeding worthy? How do they stand out? How do they contribute to bettering the breed?
    Generally I think breeding stock with titles shows proof of good conformation and breed standard as judged from people in the community.
    Gene analysis tests and annual health tests are also something every reputable breeder should be able to readily provide.
    Cheers and good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Noraline De Bedulli

both parents come from extremely reputable breeders in which of course were purchased with full breeding rights and my female imported straight from Serbia in which her father/and grandfather excelled in the show rings. SHOULD THEY be bred,, i see absolutely no reason why not if done responsibly. ..i will continue my research on the subject in other places.

9. Panama

It depends on each individual dog. Are they structurally correct? Correct temperament? Have they been evaluated by anyone outside or your home/family/kennel/immediate friends/breeder you got them from? Have they been health tested to ensure you aren't breeding in a health issue or worse doubling up on a health issue?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Noraline De Bedulli

Both parents have been tested with a full panel blood work (vWD/DM/DCM) as well as their parents from the breeders i purchased from (in which i have all documentation of)

11. Rits

Unfortunately and fortunately, there is much more health testing to be done than that. Hips, elbows, eyes, thyroid, echo and holter to start.

While it's great that their parents have shown, every offspring is an individual and should be proven themselves by a judge. Not every puppy from a litter will grow up to be worthy of being bred. It's easy to be kennel blind, this is why evaluation from showing is important to prove your stock.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Noraline De Bedulli

Eyes/hips were checked.

13. Noraline De Bedulli

Why does one dog have to be shown/judged just to breed good stock though? you might have one dog that has perfect conformation but misbehaves in show. Becuase a dog misbehaves and does not win a show that is a reason they may not produce good offspring?

14. Panama

As Rits said, not having dogs evaluated by someone outside of your circle (friends, relatives, breeder you got the dogs from) it is easy for one to become kennel blind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rits

It wouldn't be just one show. Over time your puppy/dog would get used to showing. There are a few rare exceptions, but usually this is from a person that has been showing and breeding for many, many years with an experienced eye...and they don't make the decision lightly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Noraline De Bedulli

well, everyone will start somewhere... however i am 20 yrs experience with this breed and only 3 years in the show rings with my dogs but don't do that anymore and don't plan to go back. I personally do not see why i still have to involve myself with the show ring to breed great dogs, also know so many others that do not. Do i see this as an unethical breeding practice?? ..No i do not.

17. Panama

Why not start off on the right foot?!

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

yes, we all start somewhere! But there is a lot to consider and you yourself said you have a lot to learn. There are a lot of different perspectives and knowledge here so please don't take offense. We're a passionate group ;)

If there complications during pregnancy, are you ready to make a decision to save either puppies, or momma, or spay her if they need to perform a cesarean? This happened with my Dobe's dam after her second litter. If your dam can't be used for breeding, do you retire her to a new pet home or spoil her yourself? If you keep her and add another female to your breeding program, are you prepared to crate and rotate if Same Sex Aggression becomes an issue?

If either of your dogs develops DCM or Wobblers when they get older, how do you communicate that to the families of the puppies you sold them?

If you home a puppy and 2, 8, 10 years down the line that family can't care for it, will you take it back in and re-home it? If the puppy home needs weekly help with posting ears, are you available?

Do you have vets available who are versed in cropping and docking so you can send your puppies home all ready for their new owners?

My Dobe is 4 and my Lab is 2 and I still ask questions to their breeders and they always respond. There is just so much to consider above and beyond registering a kennel name and having conformation titles (to be fair, I read the information Panama posted to say Conformation AND/OR Companion AND/OR Performance events). Finding a mentor would be immensely beneficial in determining why you want to breed and how to go about it correctly. And you very well may have already thought of all of the above which would be great!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Rits

Because we all believe we have great dogs. When you have many judges that are equipped with the trained eye to say you have a great dog, paired up against other great dogs, and they then say you have a great dog across more than one show...that really means something. It's easy to become kennel blind. Maybe try another venue like UKC that is less intense or find a show buddy and have fun together. You could ignore conformation totally and focus on performance or obedience. But the total package is important really so it's best to be involved in a little bit of it all to produce a total dog - sound in conformation and temperament. If one does none of those things, then you have to ask, whats the difference between that and breeding two pets together? We all know that there are plenty of pets at the shelter. Becoming a breeder is about doing all you can do to improve the breed. Just because there's a handful of people not trying doesn't mean you shouldnt either.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Noraline De Bedulli

Godamn where would this country be if there was this much interrogation associated with bringing a human children into the world.. lmao. It wld make compete sense but this... i think ill just disappear from here.. its been real.

• Wow x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1