• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Does Cardiac OFA Actually Matter?

StateOfMine

Hot Topics Subscriber
I've got a friend asking if Cardiac OFA is better than a 24 hour holter monitor, or better than an ECG. I don't actually know.

I would think from "best" to "doesn't matter" it would be

1. 24 hour holter
2. ECG
3. Cardiac OFA

But I'm curious if anyone else would know.
 
It's not one over the other, they are not testing the same things.

A 24 hour holter measures heart rhythm over 24 hours to detect skips or extra beats.
The OFA cardiac Echo takes a picture of the heart itself to observe size (enlargement) and watch how it functions in real time.

Since DCM/heart failure is HEREDITARY in this breed it is suggested to test Dobermans in both to catch any early development and it is essential to test any dogs that are being bred. It's recommended these tests be done yearly starting at age 2. Reputable breeders should notify you if your dogs sire or dam (or littermates) get diagnosed with heart issues (or other heritable diseases as far as that goes), but I don't think many do.
 
To add, the Holter is basically a 24 hour ECG, so your 1 & 2 are basically the same.
Also, for OFA heart clearance, both Echo and Holter tests must be done within 60 or 90 days (can't remember). In other words a breeder needs to do both because as I mentioned they measure two different things.
Anyone looking for a Doberman puppy should make sure both parents have OFA heart clearance within the past year of breeding.
 
ECG/EKG is just a snapshot, it only shows you what's happening right now. Holter is a 24hr (or more or less) record of the heart's activity.
 
I've got a friend asking if Cardiac OFA is better than a 24 hour holter monitor, or better than an ECG. I don't actually know.
I think it's important to understand OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) is a database for genetic testing. Kind of like AKC is a registry of purebred pedigrees. A Veterinarian tests for different things (heart, elbows, hips, etc.) and sends the results to OFA to certify and store in the database.
 
As i understand it, and i would like to be taught if this isn't correct, Cardiac OFA just means that the Orthopedic Foundation has record of both a holter test and an echo being done within thier specified time frame?
 
As i understand it, and i would like to be taught if this isn't correct, Cardiac OFA just means that the Orthopedic Foundation has record of both a holter test and an echo being done within thier specified time frame?
And that time frame is 90 days. I hope researchers can get to a place that these tests actually mean something. We are still at the place that the tests mean they are clear at that moment. In the big picture we know so little about the disease and everything about testing and treatment is so expensive that not many are participating. It's a long slow road to finding answers.
 

Back
Top