Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Attention/crate training

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by HakuTheDoberman, May 29, 2019.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I agree! I remember one unique day during the psycho puppy period where he was fast asleep during the day. I retreated to the couch upstairs and stayed silent so as not to disturb the peace. I ended up going hungry and couldn’t go to the bathroom until 4 pm lol. It was truly blissful lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. QUESION! Aha so our schedule have been going being well and all is good. I have a worry though.

So I come home at lunch, feed him, then take him outside he always goes poo and pee lol which is great I don’t have to worry about him holding one or the other in till we get home.

I play with him and get some energy out although I’m scared to get him moving to much since I know high amounts of exercise right after eating can cause bloat and him getting bloat is something I am always paranoid about.

An I just being paranoid or should I let him run around all he wants till it’s time for me to go back to work?

3. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

Are you guys planning on always doing the 3 meals a lot longer or are you going to switch to 2?

The idea if bloat scares me but we don't run into it around the time he's getting a walk because we only do 2 meals a day. Im sure others will have more suggestions and experience input.

4. Ohhh that’s true I won’t be doing 3 meals a day forever aha. 3 months old would you suggest doing 2 meals a day starting now or wait a bit

5. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

This is our first doberman puppy that we have raised ourselves but honestly at 3 months we were switching over to 2 meals. We haven't found a dog Walker yet so our guy was home in his tiled room creating mayhem while we were at work for 8 hours. This did leave us with only doing 2 meals and he did fine. It was the only option that worked for our schedule though. Im not sure if others would recommend holding off since that is still an option in your case.

The good doing is at that age they do a lot of sleeping

6. Aha that’s true as long as they get the amount of food they need at the end of the day that’s all that matters. I’ll look into switching to two meals though and I’ll keep his exercising toned down after meals still till then !

7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

What I would do is to play first, give a few pieces of kibble as reward during, then move on to play find it with some kibble, let him relax a bit before crating him, serve the last of his meal in a Kong while crated in your absence. Then upon getting home, so pre-dinner time, give a treat ball with some kibble. If I were kibble feeding, I’d have Kaiser eating all day long haha. Coming up with non-food related activities is the worst part about raw feeding lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Haha good tips thanks! And oh that’s true we are eventually going to be feeding raw so I guess I better take advantage of the kibble feeding till then :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Usually your pup will let you know when he no longer wants the midday meal. My twins were 5-6mo old when they lost interest in the midday meal. I would do what @Kaiser2016 suggested. Playing, training and giving his kibble a few pieces at a time as a reward for obeying commands. I did this and fed their entire meals by hand while training them using a clicker to mark their correct behavior. They would get the final cup of food as a jackpot after training.
    Bloat is my absolute worst nightmare and both my prior dobies got it with my first red boy dying from it.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  10. Oh nooo I’m so sorry for your loss :,( hearing that makes me more paranoid. I’ll be very careful and start taking portions of his meals into training.

11. Tropicalbri's

I don’t want to scare you because the vets do not know exactly the cause of bloat.
    From experience working at the Vet Hospitals I did notice a higher incident of bloat in deep chested dogs coming in that recently had surgery such as OHE, Neuter, limb amputation, abdominal surgeries and most notably spinal injuries and or spinal inflammation.
    This is something that we haven’t been able to definitively point to as contributing to bloat. It is most likely a combination of many factors but because I have experienced it with my last two Dobermanns, I am always keeping detailed notes of each dog and their activity right up to a bloat that come in the clinic.
    I keep hoping I will see some correlation between activity, diet and environment in all the cases. What I have noticed as I stated above was a higher incidence of bloat and GDV in dogs post surgery and with spinal issues that have been brought to us for surgical intervention and about 70% of the dogs also were being fed once a day and owners used elevated feeding bowls.
    Gastropexy at the time of spay or neuter or abdominal surgery is often recommended. That procedure is specifically done to prevent GDV (Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus), which is when the gut twists or flips causing the dog to be unable to wretch, burp or vomit. It can affect the spleen when it twists and cuts off blood supply to the intestines and requires immediate surgery.
    Gastropexy does not prevent Bloat. Just be aware of the signs and get medical attention immediately if your dobe is displaying any of the symptoms.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. Thank you for the information it’s a big help, a very scary and real problem that I’ll always be looking out for. I did read the statement online that the elevated food bowls help contribute so I have avoided those! We just got a slow eating bowl as well. I’ll keep that in mind for when we neuter (after 18months I’d longer) or if we even neuter !

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Another question ahahh I’m so SORRY.

So my guy knows that bitting people is bad but being a puppy he still nips every now and then and mostly it’s an accident while playing. But idk if my guy is just weird lol or if I should change something

But he doesn’t seem to like pets.. and rubs lol he could care less. He likes sitting on you and being near you and etc but when it comes to giving pets he could care less or kinda moves away (if standing) he also knows that it’s bad to bite so when I am with him and have my hands around him awhile he’s laying down he will roll around and follow my hand with his mouth wide open (like he’s gonna bite but never does ) is that something I should correct or just normal Doberman puppy behaviour lol.

Looks like a devil I swear just rolling around following my hands with his chomper wide open

Attached Files:

14. Tropicalbri's

He has that Dobergator mouth going on.
    I would always redirect him with a toy when his teeth get close to or makes contact with your skin. Open mouth on skin even accidentally should be redirected so he understands that never ever should he open his mouth on any part of your body. I wouldn’t yell or make a big deal of it, just redirect those gator teeth to a toy.

Oh and never apologize for asking questions. Everyone here enjoys helping out and asking questions is the way you learn! (Mostly from our mistakes):rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1

15. Ahah ok good good

And yeah I usually redirect with a toy and he knows not to actually bite me but he does it so often I wondered if he was mentally ok ( our guests were like what is he doing is he being aggressive?? As he’s rolling around mouth wide open following my hand around) ahahah

Accidental bites for him are when I’m holding a toy and he bites me by accident and I usually yell ouch. Not at him but in general cause .. well ouch xP and then redirect.

Razor teeth on these puppies lol good thing I have a high pain tolerance

16. Also we have him trained (just started a couple days ago) to ring a bell before going potty and then saying potty when he goes. He’s been good with it

The bell is on the door handle so when we take him up the stairs and wait in front of the door I say potty and he rings it and we go out he does his thing and then we come back.

I’m hoping that he will be able to ring it so we can let us know he wants out eventually, rather then me take him out when the time seems right.

By doing this consistently will he get the idea to ring it on his own if He Wants to go out? Or is there another training step I need to do.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  17. Tropicalbri's

Totally normal behavior for this breed. If they did not do that, I would worry.:D
    People that have never been around Dobermanns seldom understand their craziness. They think they are either crazy or aggressive but they are neither, just happy dobes enjoying life. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tropicalbri's

I think @WiglWerm bell trained her female and could answer it better than myself.
    My two would just ring the bell for the entertainment and annoyance value.:spit:

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Some just don’t. This might well change as he matures. It doesn’t mean he is any less bonded to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeah I mean he still loves us and is happy but just ain’t about those pets, the only time he seems to “tolerate it” is when he’s tried and half asleep aha. I hope he grows to like it more as he mature for sure but if that’s just his personality then that’s ok too.

But at the same time let me love you gosh darnit

• Funny Funny x 3