Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Featured American VS European Doberman

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by FredC, Aug 29, 2010.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, my first thought when I saw his face was Great Dane! He looks big too, like a Dane. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that either! He really quite beautiful!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Gman88

Gman88 Hot Topics Subscriber

I also forgot to add that he is not nuetered.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gman88

Everyone who sees him on the street says hes the best looking great Dane they have ever seen; then they want to pet him until I tell them hes a Doberman then they start acting weird lol.

For all I know he could have some in him but from experience I can tell you he walks, talks, and acts like a Dobie and not a Dane.

Thanks for the gracious comment on his looks...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nutz

Nutz Hot Topics Subscriber

So, by all accounts Grumble (here in South Africa) is of European stock?
    grumbles 10 weeks conformance proportion.jpg

5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Apparently their initial puppy stage is a good indicator of how they will look as adults, but once they start growing they are rather disproportionate so it's harder to predict. To me, the type shows up in the under jaw and the amount of teeth. Smaller American jaws have room for fewer teeth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nutz

Nutz Hot Topics Subscriber

Morning you fellas...

Well, I had her for conformance viewing this weekend.

Without having photo's of the sire and the dam, The concensus is she is a cross between the English strain, as shown the in the more pointy snout and definately the European strain manifested in the big bones....

Proportionatly she is 100 %, consensus is she is going to be a big-un

This weekend, at 11 weeks she clocked in on the scales at 12.4Kg (27.33 Lbs)and is currently 435mm high (17.12")

Did the first booster inoculation & second round of de-worming

7. Gman88

I'm by no means a doberman expert or an experienced owner in the sense of titles and multiple dogs, but my own lens of characteristics for Euro vs American lie in the snout (as mentioned by @Kaiser2016 ) chest thickness, and neck length (thin and elegant is more American than short and stout Euro IMO), and overall height/size.

The only way my fat kid self can compare them is an American looks like a McDonalds cheeseburger while a Euro is more like a Burger King double Whopper. Same type of sandwich but starkly different. :rofl: Grumble (like my Bruno) is flame grilled from Burger King, I think your partner is more Euro.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rocky6527

Rocky6527 New Member

I think that euro dogs are a bit more bigger and thicker. So they need more exercise. I’ve typically noticed that Americans are made for a more sleek look whereas euros look more muscular and the bone mass is typically heavier. So they would be a bit more dangerous looking than the Americans as the Americans are look thinner and more compact.

10. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

Well I always think of it this way.. I have one of each a Euro and an American..I compare them to a Quarter horse ( Euro) and an Arabian ( American) ..LOL ..I can tell you this they both for sure need the same amount of exercise..personal experience! Indiviuals of both types can be quite different ..just as people have different personalities so do the Dobermans.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

It’s been a long time since I read this thread in its entirety so it may have been mentioned.

Check out some South American Dobermans sometime;)
    A bit different than N American or Euro stock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1