Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Zeus getting bossy/jelous?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by zmchristopher, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

I'm sure you have hear the saying that 'it's going to get worse before it gets better'. Yes, he is not happy about you setting boundries as he wants to be the one in charge. He will try to challenge it. It sounds like you are doing a great job so stick to it and it will pay off. Don't forget that what you get through now will make it a little bit easier when he becomes a teenager. Be prepared. LOL

The thing you said about not noticing things when he was smaller is a very good thing to realise. You don't want him to do any behaviour now that you wouldn't want him to do when he is full grown. :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. My Mateese

My Mateese Notable member

When I got Schaudeh and she was very young but had been abused, I had
    just lost my wonderful shepherd and I did not want another dog, actually
    I was looking for a kitten to help my old cat that was grieving my shepherd
    as well, I ran across Schaudeh and simply could not leave her behind. She
    was already aggressive (I am not saying yours is) and I had my work cut out.
    You could not discipline her she would come right after you.........eye contact
    OH Brother...............made her day. I had to set the rules and set the limits
    big time, I made her have eye contact without incidence. After she found she
    was not going to be boss and she wasn't going to have any more abuse, with
    PATIENCE, LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING she has turned out to be a
    wonderful, loving, loyal, devoted and extremely obedient girl, she is
    now 12yrs and a sweetheart, everybody loves her. On the other hand
    she is a very alert good watch dog...............WHITE FANG.......LOL

• Like Like x 3
  3. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

Hi Zoe, don't get too stressed out as he will pick up on that they know your emotions better than you , i would always say don't vocalize too much otherwise they get too used to hearing your voice dogs are more about your energy you put out , if for exampled he has a toy he should not have do not speak take a deep breath shoulders back and feel the power girl , walk towards him until he puts it down and leaves it he may even roll onto his back that is submission and that is what you want from him , i would even do it with your little girl next to you , just make sure you are calm and that he does submit and give up the item, he really has to know who is in charge and it is never him :tap:.
    Another thing i used is if he is doing something not acceptable or you want to get his attention just give a loud clap they usually always turn around to see what it is and it saves your vocal cords and when he comes treat him, i still use this with Bella if i want her attention quickly even when out walking as most people shout or whistle there dogs as soon as Bella hears the clap she knows it is for her these puppies will be brought up to know that a clap means attention , i have rambled on a bit but hope some of it helps, keep up the good work it will be well worth it .;)

• Like Like x 5
  4. zmchristopher

zmchristopher Notable member

Thanks Guys/Girls, Its improving day by day! I got him out early this morning 6:45am for a good run round, I have been out for the last 5 hours (first time he been on his own for that length of time, took low to cheeky tots on camp) and neighbours have not heard a thing, we came home he greeted us really calm, he had a little bark while i was jus peeling spuds but i put him in crate for 10 mins for time out n hes fine now sleeping at my feet. I think your right Judith he was definatly feeding off my energy I admit i got major stressed and feel awful bout it now but we're pals again and I think hes forgiven me! :oops: He doesnt barge through the hall and doorways anymore, hes sitting without me having to ask. Hes stopped snatching the toys off lowri but im paying real close attention to them both now. so yeah things are on the up yeeeeeeeeeey lol!!!;)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

When he barks at you he is challenging the new rules and protaesting. So teach him a quiet command and then redirect him to a toy as a reward. Dobermans are great manipulators.

I do have a questions to make sure I am understaniding - When you say you have him on lead and keep him away from your daughter are you holding the lead and keeping him close to you so he can't get to your daughter??? If so that is the wrong message again you are putting him ahead of her.

just have him drag the leash around snd when he heads for her grab it if you are behind him and stop him then move between you and her and back him off. Say No gentle. and calm him down then make him sit and have her come pet him. Have him sit and have her give him a treat then you and your daughter walk away. Do not let him move away. If he gets to excited take the leash and correct him and say No easy or gentle which every you prefer but make it the same each time.

Hope that makes it clearer.

• Like Like x 2
  6. zmchristopher

Hiya! no no i didnt bother letting him totaly not go near her just when he got into her space i stopped him.. its calmed down loads now! Lowri also is alot more aware of Zeus too which is better... The barking happens on occasion... its when Im having my time out now/eating tea, he doesnt like being ignored does he. lol But I try to ignore him and then tell him to lie down n ignore again....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

When he barks and you acknowledge by giving him a command it rewards him.

I hope you are working with a crate to crate train him. Puppies that do not get that time alone to regroup often have more more problems that develop into severe separation anxiety.

You are making headway and that is great!!! Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zmchristopher

Yes the crate is out, we did that since the day he came home n he ...was really good with it, we did make a mistake there, which might be the reason why hes started barking at me, about 2 weeks ago we took it away, we moved his bed to the kitchen (for the reason hes completely housetrained) so 'oh dont need this thing anymore' but since he naughty behaviour started a week ago i got it back out, Ok so note to self dont acknowledge him....

• Like Like x 1