• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Where did you guys get your Doberman?

ksirr

Hello Everyone,

I have posted before about breeder recommendations but now I am curious where you guys got your dogs. I am not having to much luck finding local breeders that seem trustworthy or have what I am looking for so I figured I would expand my search.

I would love to know where you went, how your experience was/is and what your dogs are like now. :)

It would probably help to know what you’re looking for in your Dobie? Working lines? show? companion? American? Euro?

Great idea for a thread, though frankly, don't expect many succinct answers.

I don't equate Euro and working. I know in Europe, working titles are more valued in breeding programs; but if you are talking about a pure working Doberman, it looks pretty darn opposite of that classic Euro look. Working Dobes bred for maximum performance on the IPO field are typically unimpressive looking but can run circles around a blocky, majestic Euro.

With my last two Dobes, I've gone with a pure working breeder (different breeders) because I want some of the qualities found in this type of Dobe – most importantly, I am less likely to wind up with a shy, submissive specimen. I must say that if I get another Dobe, I just might consider one of those blocky, majestic, showy Euros.

At any rate, I don't reveal my breeder(s) on here because I want this place to be a place I can speak with complete honesty about my Doberman – good and bad – without offending or casting in a negative light my breeder.

All that said, let's hear where everybody got their Dobermans! :thumbsup2:

Blaze came from Brandi at Masaya Doberman’s. She has working lines and longevity in her lines. Most people don’t realize what they are asking for when they say they want a protection dog. These dogs are awesome when working but not so fun to live with in your house on a day to day basis.
Here are some recent photos from last weekends training.
CC94B519-D97A-40AC-87DF-CF180D9D5B87.jpeg DA0BDD71-CBD9-424F-8CA8-DC8414E4ED04.jpeg AB00131F-AA2D-4FB1-ABAC-EEDECE894DE5.jpeg
We may be breeding him to her bitch Stormie this fall.

We got our female from TX and our male from southern MI but neither of those people are breeding anymore.

If you're looking for working lines you could check out the UDC breeder referral.
UDC Breeders – United Doberman Club

Ragnar came from Linda George at Horizon Dobermans in Richmond Texas.

I got my boy from DeeRun Dobermans in Graham, Wa. The experience was absolutely wonderful. Still have support from her for life and she always wants to see him when she is in town for the dog show in Kennewick Wa.

(There were several before these, but these are the ones since I joined the forum)

My red boy, Hawk (lost to liver failure at 6 yrs of age) came from Crestline in Montana. My Queen, Echo, came from Silverhawk in Indiana. Joker is my home-bred boy.

Great idea for a thread, though frankly, don't expect many succinct answers.

I don't equate Euro and working. I know in Europe, working titles are more valued in breeding programs; but if you are talking about a pure working Doberman, it looks pretty darn opposite of that classic Euro look. Working Dobes bred for maximum performance on the IPO field are typically unimpressive looking but can run circles around a blocky, majestic Euro.

With my last two Dobes, I've gone with a pure working breeder (different breeders) because I want some of the qualities found in this type of Dobe – most importantly, I am less likely to wind up with a shy, submissive specimen. I must say that if I get another Dobe, I just might consider one of those blocky, majestic, showy Euros.

At any rate, I don't reveal my breeder(s) on here because I want this place to be a place I can speak with complete honesty about my Doberman – good and bad – without offending or casting in a negative light my breeder.

All that said, let's hear where everybody got their Dobermans! :thumbsup2:

I have spoken to some breeds that cross working lines with show lines. So you get a little bit more of that showy Euro look and at the same time the dogs can perform a job without breaking down.

I have spoken to some breeds that cross working lines with show lines. So you get a little bit more of that showy Euro look and at the same time the dogs can perform a job without breaking down.
Right. But then there is the matter of speed and agility. Seems the Dobes that really tear up the course and fly at the helper are the ones that are kind of smallish and unattractive. You usually see an arch to the back just behind the midpoint. Kind of funny how the breed standard supposedly lays out the perfect design for the ultimate performing dog, but it's the wonky looking ones that perform the highest.

I do actually want a great looking Dobe that is impressive, imposing and majestic. But I don't want it to be all for show. Another thing a good working Doberman brings is the ability to full-mouth bite and have a good grip.

So I hope you find the best combination out there – then tell me who that breeder is so I can maybe get on the wait list for 3 - 5 years from now when Oji will die. :)

I will definitely get back to you. As long as you don’t mind importing because thats I’m doing and all the breeders I have spoken to are outside of America. It’s also important to remember that in some other countries dogs are not allowed to breed unless they pass a working test. For example, in some areas of Europe dogs can’t be bred unless pass a ZTP test. A ZTP test is designed to test a dogs’s mental stability, social skills, nerves and working performance.

I will definitely get back to you. As long as you don’t mind importing because thats I’m doing and all the breeders I have spoken to are outside of America. It’s also important to remember that in some other countries dogs are not allowed to breed unless they pass a working test. For example, in some areas of Europe dogs can’t be bred unless pass a ZTP test. A ZTP test is designed to test a dogs’s mental stability, social skills, nerves and working performance.
Yep righto. Yeah, I am actually considering importing, or at least going with a Euro. I would just hold my breath that it would wind up being a Dobe with courage and the goods to deliver. FWIW, my Oji here is a full Euro; only he also is from serious working lines – hence his, um, performance-oriented appearance.

Another word on working-line Dobes: It seems to me they may tend to be a pretty durable type – not prone to injury. A lot to be said for this!

Ok, what is the difference between a working line Dobermann and just a straight European?

Both are European I take it, but after that I admit I dont know the difference.

Ok, what is the difference between a working line Dobermann and just a straight European?

Both are European I take it, but after that I admit I dont know the difference.
It has to do with what working titles are, or are not, in the pedigree.

Many people seem to equate Euro and working, and sure, over in Europe there does seem to be more working titles put on Dobes.

But there are also Euro conformation (show) Dobes. Even these, though, will likely have a few working titles back in their pedigree, unlike most American confo. Dobes.

Hope that wasn't confusing. :)

Mars, thanks for letting us hear from your owner :D

Your welcome. Sorry, he snuck his phone into the bathroom. I gotta follow him everywhere right now. Stupid quarantine, it's exhausting.

I think he's looking to get me a puppy to play with and teach all my cool tricks to.

I have a show Euro, and although I haven’t experienced a working line Euro Dobe in person, I will say they both seem to be a demanding PITA :laughing: as far as living with them is concerned. Having seen working line dogs of other breeds, I would also say a working dog NEEDS an outlet. With a high energy breed like Dobermans, even more so. My Kaiser needs 2 hours of exercise a day, and not just free running like a maniac (which he could do ALL DAY LONG) but engaged play to exhaust him mentally. That said, he is like a star athlete, even walking across the room it’s like he got shot out of a cannon he’s so fast and impressive, he’s always ready for anything which makes him both fun and tiresome lol. Some days, I wish I could have a couch potato, though that is not in the breed standard, but it sure seems some Dobes are able to chill out more easily. Or maybe I just need to let him up on the sofa. Or maybe the grass is just greener on the other side of the Corona :spit:

I wasn't able to find a breeder here in Colorado. I did quite a bit of research and settled on a breeder in Loganville, Ga. Pamela Dehetre at Pamelot Dobermans. I picked her up at the airport on Thursday, couldn't be happier. Quality dogs aren't cheap or easy to come by but we'll we'll it. Good luck in your search

Back