When NOT to tug? esp. IGP/working dogs

Ravenbird

Moderator
$ Forum Donor $
Regarding not playing tug because of teething, is this just when adult teeth are coming in at 5 to 6 months? Or sooner? I play gentle tug with Asha and only at her head level, let her do the pulling. Seems I read somewhere not to let puppies tug hard or not at all until they have their adult teeth? She'll be 15 weeks on Sunday. This is strictly regarding her future in IGP and not wanting her to have any pain associations with biting or the tug.
 
I use rags at 7-8 weeks then switch to a puppy sleeve or wedge around 12 weeks. Then at 4 months it depends on the dog, softer dogs no tugging until teething is finished, hard Dogs it doesn’t matter that much they can loose teeth while biting and just keep coming back for more. Tugging at that age is not really that important because they can learn everything after teething really fast. It is more important to build focus and engagement at that age.
 
Before teething we let the dog do the fighting. Just light pressure on and off, when the puppy fights for the toy/tug/sleeve they get to win it. Also introduce light threats. Here is an old video of Prada at 13 weeks. Some light threats then just pressure on and off of the puppy sleeve until she fights and then she wins it.
 
With our 5 month (who is loosing his puppy teeth) old, at club we use a very soft tug or rag. Teasing him up the helper will toss either one towards him so he catches it. Then I just run him around in a half circle then stop and hold him under his jaw for a bit. So he holds it calmly. We also use a piece of burlap on what is called an escape bite. The helper teases him up and I run with him about 25ft, he bites and we go to the car.
No pulling back.
But still I have found a couple of his puppy teeth when I get him to release the tug or rag.
 
Then at 4 months it depends on the dog, softer dogs no tugging until teething is finished, hard Dogs it doesn’t matter that much they can loose teeth while biting and just keep coming back for more. Tugging at that age is not really that important because they can learn everything after teething really fast. It is more important to build focus and engagement at that age.
OK, that was the info I was remembering, something about 4 - 6 months getting their adult teeth. Thank you! Great video of Prada, that's kind of what I'm doing with Asha now.

Teasing him up the helper will toss either one towards him so he catches it. Then I just run him around in a half circle then stop and hold him under his jaw for a bit. So he holds it calmly. We also use a piece of burlap on what is called an escape bite. The helper teases him up and I run with him about 25ft, he bites and we go to the car.
No pulling back.
That's the kind of fun-training ideas I'm looking for! Thank you!
 

Back
Top