• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

We lost our Blu boy today.

C908

I have been dreading this day and it finally happened. Yesterday afternoon Blu took a sudden turn for the worse. His heart had finally reached a point where he could not continue on. He went on heart medication in June 2017 and managed to do pretty well until just recently. We had to stop our walks which he always loved. Never the less he always seemed content just being with us. Recently he slept a lot and would eat and go outside to potty but that was about it. Yesterday afternoon he wouldn't eat or drink and began trying to throw up but only small amounts of liquid would come out. He went down to the basement which he never does. I new he had fluid built up bad because he was bloated and wouldn't lay down. I stayed up with him all night and finally at 4:30 am he laid down.I covered him up and stayed next to him. Once I saw he was going to stay put I put a little heater next to him. He didn't move until it was time for me to take him in at 2 pm today. The vet told me because of his heart condition he could have a seizure once the sedative was injected.It turned out he had no reaction and laid there very peacefully as we petted him. As he was dozing off he raised his paw to shake with me. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I felt like this dog was a part of me and its hard to imagine life without him. I will now have to put all of my energy into raising Preacher, I know he is going to be a good dog. I just feel like Blu was that once in a lifetime dog, he was special. I have never done cremation but Blu is being cremated because I want him in my casket with me when I die. I asked my wife if she was ok with that and she said yes. We have 3 other dobies buried in our backyard.I will be 64 in March and losing these dogs is getting really hard for me to handle. Blu would have been 14 on March 17, 2019.

Attachments

• Dec 23, 2018 037.jpg
    Dec 23, 2018 037.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 36
Oh my. Heartwrenching and heartwarming to read. This is so tough.

You are clearly such a dedicated, caring Doberman owner. Praying for you in this painful time. Your Dobe had a great, long life and you did very right by him. This is all any dog can wish for.

I am so sorry to hear this. Blu crossed my mind several times today and I was so hoping...not this. His handshake :cry:What a dedicated boy he was to say goodbye like that.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

It is one of the hardest things to do. Just remember you gave him peace when he needed it. One of the best gifts you can give IMHO. I'm sure he shares my opinion and is grateful to you. Now he is home free from pain and nice and warm in that little spot in your heart where he'll always remain.
so sorry.jpg

:( So sorry ... What a good boy he was.

How my heart hurts for you and your family. The pain and sorrow in your words brought back a very familiar sting inside my heart. I lost my boy the very same way. I can tell you that when there is a such a strong bond, that even though you no longer see him he is right there beside you and his love will live forever in your heart. I know that right now your world is upside down and it will be for awhile but in time you will see. Being there for him like you were was the very best thing you could have done and I believe it meant the world to him.
Run free sweet Blu :sorrow:

(((Hugs))) So sorry that you are going through this :down:

I have been dreading this day and it finally happened. Yesterday afternoon Blu took a sudden turn for the worse. His heart had finally reached a point where he could not continue on. He went on heart medication in June 2017 and managed to do pretty well until just recently. We had to stop our walks which he always loved. Never the less he always seemed content just being with us. Recently he slept a lot and would eat and go outside to potty but that was about it. Yesterday afternoon he wouldn't eat or drink and began trying to throw up but only small amounts of liquid would come out. He went down to the basement which he never does. I new he had fluid built up bad because he was bloated and wouldn't lay down. I stayed up with him all night and finally at 4:30 am he laid down.I covered him up and stayed next to him. Once I saw he was going to stay put I put a little heater next to him. He didn't move until it was time for me to take him in at 2 pm today. The vet told me because of his heart condition he could have a seizure once the sedative was injected.It turned out he had no reaction and laid there very peacefully as we petted him. As he was dozing off he raised his paw to shake with me. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I felt like this dog was a part of me and its hard to imagine life without him. I will now have to put all of my energy into raising Preacher, I know he is going to be a good dog. I just feel like Blu was that once in a lifetime dog, he was special. I have never done cremation but Blu is being cremated because I want him in my casket with me when I die. I asked my wife if she was ok with that and she said yes. We have 3 other dobies buried in our backyard.I will be 64 in March and losing these dogs is getting really hard for me to handle. Blu would have been 14 on March 17, 2019.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my Charlie in June at just five years old. He got up in the morning and went to work with me which he did every day and by 2:30 I was saying goodbye to him. I was a mess for a couple months and right or wrong I got a puppy. While nothing can replace Charlie the puppies doing good his ears are nice and he's pretty good boy. It's very hard to lose a family member. It's also true they're not just pets. My condolences

I’m so sorry for your loss, @C908 :(

It's never easy to lose a dear friend and loyal companion. Stay strong and remember the good times and memories that you guys have had together.

RIP sweet boy :sorrow:

I read this early this morning and my throat closed with the pain of losing yet another beautiful, loyal companion to such a devastating disease. I have a really hard time with loss of my animals and it’s no different with Blu. You shared him with us, he gave us hope for a long lived Doberman and I want to thank you for that! He is beautiful in body and soul and I have you all in my heart and prayers.
It’s never easy to walk the path of loss but you don’t have to do it alone. We are here to help in any way we can because we know how profound that loss truly is.

Oh man....

Words cannot express.

Just know that you are not alone, we are all here in our own sections of the world thinking about you and Blu. Pretty powerful if you think about that.

I still have Alex’s cremation remains on a shelf with the “Rainbow Bridge” story and his paw print. The Vet sent the card along with his remains. To this day I don’t know the full story of the Rainbow Bridge because I can’t get all the way through it.

9F4BC0FC-4482-477B-906B-83586FD83297.jpeg

There are and will be times you will get down and out about Blu but think about the happy times and how good life was with him. Then take that energy and redirect it into Preacher. That’s what I do...redirect into asshat Ragnar....

Take care.

You have all our thoughts and best wishes at this most heartbreaking time. It is such a difficult thing to say goodbye to our loyal friends, and I'm sure everyone here is revisiting the pain along with you. So, so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

Back