• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Trusting his instincts

Buck Nasty

Hot Topics Subscriber
As we do every morning, we left the house for our walk at about 5:15 a.m. It is still dark out, obviously. We got around the corner and down to the main road when Buck just stopped walking and stared at us. He clearly did not want to go any further. Now I know he is not a huge fan of walking in the dark, but we do it every day because that is when we can. Most mornings - no problem. He will occasionally hesitate as if to say "really?", but we motor on and he's fine. This morning there was something a little different about the look he gave us and the way he stopped. I could tell he did not want to go down the road we were on. So we turned around and went home. We did take the long way around the block and he was fine with that. I have to wonder if there was something he sensed that made him feel it wasn't safe to keep going, or if he just wasn't feeling the walk today. There are a lot of wooded areas around us and a lot of coyotes, so who knows. After we got back home, he seemed to be a little extra clingy. I like to believe he was protecting us from something.

Attachments

• 20210923_152522_HDR~2.jpg
    20210923_152522_HDR~2.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 10
Yes I do think we need to trust our dogs when they try to tell us something, especially those with Dobe blood. You get to read them very well!

I learned to trust their instincts, in particular at night when they are way more serious and alert. It’s like they go into stealth mode so we don’t get caught by whatever is “out there”.

The Sinisters are always more alert at night, when they tense up I pay attention. Dobes are great early warning devices of danger. My money is that Buck knew something you didn't!

Yup I trust their instincts. I know they don't want anything to do with bears so it could have even been that.

They indeed have great instinct & senses way beyond what we can imagine.
A word of caution though. My last Dobe started to occasionally stop on walks & became more clingy for no apparent reason & a year later we lost her with DCM age nearly 7 years.:disrelieved:

A word of caution though. My last Dobe started to occasionally stop on walks & became more clingy for no apparent reason & a year later we lost her with DCM age nearly 7 years.:disrelieved:
And then there is that.....I experienced the same thing a year ago :( That kind of stopping is exercise intolerance...but you do need to pay close attention to tell the difference between Alert, and I'm tired...

And then there is that.....I experienced the same thing a year ago :( That kind of stopping is exercise intolerance...but you do need to pay close attention to tell the difference between Alert, and I'm tired...
I'm thinking (hoping) that it is an Alert since we had just started off on our walk and he shouldn't have been tired already. He's just over a year old. But this is good information and we will definitely be paying attention. So sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Back