Throw Back Thursday

Do we have to wait for Thursdays to post?

It could be a fun tradition to be patient and wait until Thursdays and then fun for everyone to tune in to this thread on Thursdays! Discussions can happen any time though!

It could be a fun tradition to be patient and wait until Thursdays and then fun for everyone to tune in to this thread on Thursdays! Discussions can happen any time though!
That sounds perfect! Like I have nothing to do besides go look through boxes of paper photos from years ago. :rolleyes: But I will.
This is all Dobermans or any pets or any blast from the past?

From 1993 here's my first Doberman puppy named Dietrich (I'd have to look even further back for my very first Doberman that I got as a young adult). I named her after Marlene Dietrich, the famous German actress/singer. Dietrich's sire was German working lines, her dam was pretty much American pet bred.

I was advised to get a kennel for house breaking, so I got a Veri-Kennel and before she was 5 months old I'd taken it apart and made it into her bed. My sister was quilting at the time and made her a "baby quilt". I'm one of those people who keep things, and when Asha came to me in 2019 she used the same kennel for a bed and still has the same baby quilt now almost 30 years old.

IMG_2142.JPG

On the left is Tiger- a Maine Coon cat. We had him for a long time. Strange that he developed a cancerous blister on the base of his tail and passed. He was huge….We would medicate him to knock him out and I would shave his body leaving his mane and head alone. Tiger was a mean shit, didn’t like too many folks and would let them know it too. I was very surprised when he went to lay next to Alex- thus me taking this picture.

Alex was my last yellow lab, he was a pound rescue that was good as gold. Such a wonderful soul he was. He found me and helped me through some post military rough times.

1663857147844.jpeg

I think I've posted a picture of her before but this was/is Vega, my first rescue Dobe.

I say was/is because I don't know if she's still alive, unfortunately. A jerk of an ex basically stole her from me to get 'back at me.' These photo's are from 2014 when she was 1. She was a spunky and incredibly sweet dog!

1899290_654227576331_368688599_o.jpg

10515164_671741383521_3133909864031723859_o.jpg

It’s midnight in the UK so here we go!!
My throwback Thursday pic is Jake. Our first Dobe cross mix.

You’ve seen babies placed in furniture draws to sleep, so why not pups in cardboard boxes? 🤣

Attachments

• 2C20415A-C7C3-459D-A677-0A8310DC3D1A.jpeg
    2C20415A-C7C3-459D-A677-0A8310DC3D1A.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
More of Dietrich - she loved every body and all dogs. These were taken in the 1990's.

Dress up time around Christmas. The poodle belonged to my ex. The two dogs got along great, never a fuss about anything.

fullsizeoutput_5c3.jpeg

Visiting my friends place who had this awesome Rottie. She was going to the Schutzund club with him where Dietrich's sire was training. That was her only visit to a bite club and she loved it. The Rottie owner is the friend who now has Reckless the Dutch Shepherd.
fullsizeoutput_5c5.jpeg

another trip across country to my sisters place for Thanksgiving one year. She had a Golden Retriever. Again, instant friends. There were 20 people there for TG day and the two dogs behaved perfectly.
fullsizeoutput_5c6.jpeg

Man, this is making us go back in time! LOL So many great memories.

These were our first two Pomeranians. The white one was first and then the fawn. The white one in the photo with our son is from 1984. Our son was 4 years old and our dog was probably around 12. I always have to tell the funny story with the white Pom. We were at a breeders house looking for a Pomeranian for my mother-in-law. She had recently lost hers and we wanted to buy her another as a gift. My husband and I both went there with the definite decision that we were going there to buy this for his mom. PERIOD. We were not going to get distracted!

I'll never forget the moment. My husband was kneeling down playing with this beautiful cream colored puppy when he suddenly looked up at me and said, Isn't she cute? All Reserve left me and I crumbled to the ground saying, YES, yes she's adorable! I love her! !

We left there with two Pomeranian puppies. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

We bought the fawn colored one a couple years later!

I love the typical two-tone Shag carpet of the 70s-'80s! 🤪
20220929_104340.jpg

20220929_104227.jpg

What a beauty!

Gosh, some men can be jerks!! :rp: :cus: They know where to hurt the heart! I would chase them to the ends of the Earth! :sonic:

I tried. Unfortunately, in PA, dogs are/were considered property and possession is 9/10s of the law. Didn't matter that I had all the records of the application for adoption, paid for adoption, vetting, buying food, providing training, had references, etc. I did talk to a lawyer about it and they were like, Over... a dog????

In PA, you also need to buy an annual license for your dogs (or, are supposed to, anyway!) or, if your dog is microchipped or tattooed, you can buy a lifetime license. This jerk got the lifetime license in his name only.

Another reason I would only ever work with very specific rescues in the future. Once the SPCA was free of a dog, they were zero percent involved and didn't care who had the dog or the dogs best interest in mind. I was working on pick-up day and they needed her out FAST so I sent the jerk to pick her up (with a check with my name on it!) which meant his name was on the official adoption paperwork with the associated microchip and that's how he was able to get the lifetime license in his name.

I learned a lot of lessons around that time... I think my mom and sister went right out and got lifetime licenses for their dogs, too.

Sorry! :ot:

He was quite a looker, @JanS (the boxer, not the ex :thumbdown:)

Edit to add a throwback photo so it's not TOTALLY off topic: Me (in middle school, I think?) and my little cousin on Amber, my grandparents Quarter Horse (or so they were told when they bought him)! Closest thing I've ever had to my own horse :D He was a dream.

1664481999440.png

Back