Skynyrd at vet getting stitches

Well it certainly has been a chain of events for him! After just posting his leg all nicely healed and then this! It was quite amazing. And I'm sure it's going to be quite the mystery trying to figure out where he keeps hurting himself. Is there one spot? Or could it be several? Were you there when it happened? Or did he just happen to come in limping and you noticed it? My horse was the same thing. Such a horrible wound and I have no idea how it happened. The only thing with having three horses is it could have happened with a kick. I thought it was a loose board or something but I couldn't find anything. And neither one of the other two horses was talking! :spit:
 
We need a picture. LOL we want to see how he's doing. Plus a close up of the wound to see how it looks today.
 
Well it certainly has been a chain of events for him! After just posting his leg all nicely healed and then this! It was quite amazing. And I'm sure it's going to be quite the mystery trying to figure out where he keeps hurting himself. Is there one spot? Or could it be several? Were you there when it happened? Or did he just happen to come in limping and you noticed it? My horse was the same thing. Such a horrible wound and I have no idea how it happened. The only thing with having three horses is it could have happened with a kick. I thought it was a loose board or something but I couldn't find anything. And neither one of the other two horses was talking! :spit:
It's that same area in the backyard. I had just come home with him and undid his leash and he took off running his usual squirrel route around the trees and stuff. When he came in he was walking funny and thats when I saw it. This time its so high up on his leg I have no idea what it could be. We've been walking around out there and can't figure it out! So frustrating
 
I am glad you got him in. I was concerned with his limping and pain level. Still concerned with tendons and or ligaments being involved.
perhaps just inflamed from initial injury.

I’m glad you can keep the bandage off but still keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean. It wil granulate out when healing.
 
  • Appreciation
Reactions: Skb
Just now seeing this, man I am so sorry this has happened.

Don’t feel bad, my two are ALWAYS cutting/hurting themselves in the yard. When we settle down for the evening, there always seem to be a new wound or scar that I hadn’t noticed before.

If it was a slice or laceration, I would not be too concerned but a puncture wound can be highly problematic. They tend to heal on the surface and bacteria deep in the puncture will fester and abscess. So glad you took him in and they cleaned him out and put him on antibiotics. Even though it was at 4am and prob cost a shat ton, you did the right thing.

You have a rambunctious beast and prob you will have is keeping it clean. Just try to keep it as clean as you can with some wound care solution. He will be okay, these Dobermans are some resilient cusses.
 
  • Appreciation
Reactions: Skb
I am glad you got him in. I was concerned with his limping and pain level. Still concerned with tendons and or ligaments being involved.
perhaps just inflamed from initial injury.

I’m glad you can keep the bandage off but still keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean. It wil granulate out when healing.
Yeah, he is still limping pretty bad but hopefully it will get better soon. Im glad I don't have to wrap it but concerned about keeping it clean. If he is still limping when I take him in to regular vet I will ask about x rays
 
When Kali was hurt, my vet gave her Carprofen 25mg for pain. Maybe @Tropicalbri's can tell us the difference in all these meds but I'm telling you, I gave her one and she was like a different dog! I don't know what was in it but it was like a miracle. She went from acting like her back was broken, all scrunched up, to actually walking normal!
Meloxicam and Carprofen are NSAIDs
Short term use is good. Long term use for arthritis and other joint diseases require bloodwork to check the liver and kidney values as the medication metabolizes through the liver. So twice a year blood chemistry is necessary to make sure there are no adverse changes.
 
Excuse me for liking the photo but from a medical standpoint it looks a lot better.
Once it starts healing from the inside (granulating) to outer side hopefully it won’t leave too bad of a scar.
 
Excuse me for liking the photo but from a medical standpoint it looks a lot better.
Once it starts healing from the inside (granulating) to outer side hopefully it won’t leave too bad of a scar.
Im just worried about the limping. Im gonna post the exam findings so you can see exactly what they saidScreenshot_20210905-143345_Drive.webp
 
The pain is coming from deep tissue inflammation. Between the Meloxicam and the Gaba, he should get some relief from pain.
Is your regular GP open tomorrow? If so get him in.

Whatever he punctured himself on, I am thinking it is a mostly blunt end to split it and go through the tissue. He had to have hit it with force and that bruised his broken skin, tissue and muscle.
That alone will cause a lot more pain than if it was a clean slit like last time.

Dogs carry 62% of their weight and power on their front legs so it is not an anomaly for him to be limping.
Once the inflammation subsides it won’t be as tender. I am thinking it may be 4-5 days before he is back to normal weight bearing on the leg without favoring it.

Once it fully heals and you find him limping more from habit than pain, then you can wrap his good leg and he will most likely favor the wrapped leg and start using his healed injured leg.
We do this with dogs that will chronically limp without pain just out of habit.
 
The pain is coming from deep tissue inflammation. Between the Meloxicam and the Gaba, he should get some relief from pain.
Is your regular GP open tomorrow? If so get him in.

Whatever he punctured himself on, I am thinking it is a mostly blunt end to split it and go through the tissue. He had to have hit it with force and that bruised his broken skin, tissue and muscle.
That alone will cause a lot more pain than if it was a clean slit like last time.

Dogs carry 62% of their weight and power on their front legs so it is not an anomaly for him to be limping.
Once the inflammation subsides it won’t be as tender. I am thinking it may be 4-5 days before he is back to normal weight bearing on the leg without favoring it.

Once it fully heals and you find him limping more from habit than pain, then you can wrap his good leg and he will most likely favor the wrapped leg and start using his healed injured leg.
We do this with dogs that will chronically limp without pain just out of habit.
Thank you! This really helps and makes a lot of sense. He barrels around those trees and through the yard full speed. Thank you so much for all the advice and help. You have helped me so much!
 
Here are a couple pics from today. It's hard to see how deep it is from the pictures.
Yep, looks about like the gash above my horses eye.


Actually, his looks pretty good. Clean. I hope you don't have a lot of trouble with him bothering it. I'm sure it's painful, busting through the skin like that. Hoping for an uneventful night!
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Skb
Yep, looks about like the gash above my horses eye.


Actually, his looks pretty good. Clean. I hope you don't have a lot of trouble with him bothering it. I'm sure it's painful, busting through the skin like that. Hoping for an uneventful night!
It looks like her whole eye was swollen! Wow! That looks painful!
 
Yes!! Was that puss coming out in the one?! Thats horrible!! Did she act like it bothered her?
I don't think it was pus. But I'm not going to go back and look because I'm eating right now. đŸ¤¢LOL she didn't really act like it hurt her. I never saw her trying to rub it or anything. But it was pretty traumatic for me. đŸ˜¬

So back to your pupper... How's he doing today?
 

Back
Top