Puppy won’t cuddle with us

nms0115

Novitiate
Hi! I am a first time Doberman owner. Our puppy is about 14 weeks old and he won’t cuddle with us. When he gets tired his biting get so bad that we end up just putting him in the crate for nap time. It’s almost like he doesn’t have an off switch with us. Is this normal and will he ever want to lay and cuddle with us?

Hi! I am a first time Doberman owner. Our puppy is about 14 weeks old and he won’t cuddle with us. When he gets tired his biting get so bad that we end up just putting him in the crate for nap time. It’s almost like he doesn’t have an off switch with us. Is this normal and will he ever want to lay and cuddle with us?
Yes, that can be normal. He will eventually settle down some but some are just not super cuddly. You are doing the right thing using the crate for naps. When he gets older and your training starts settling in, you can start capping his drive to allow calm petting thus will teach him to settle down for affection from you.

My girl, (Dobe mix), was not a cuddly puppy! I found that at a certain stage of training, about 8 months for us, she started showing more affection. As we played and trained and established our house rules she learned to respect me and that is when she came to me for affection. She didn't fear or dislike me, just hadn't formed that really close bond. When you do reach that stage your pup will probably be as velcro as any Dobe out there! :)

My Dobe is a snuggle bug; my Lab just wants to be near us but not touching. Just like how some people are huggers and others are not, it can totally be a personality trait. I've learned to not take my Labs non-desire to snuggle personally (most days) :D

I agree that they all vary but once they form a bond with you, which takes some time, they want to be near you all the time.

Just don't push it on him and he'll start coming around when he's ready.

Yes, that can be normal. He will eventually settle down some but some are just not super cuddly. You are doing the right thing using the crate for naps. When he gets older and your training starts settling in, you can start capping his drive to allow calm petting thus will teach him to settle down for affection from you.
That is what we are hoping for! When we first brought him home he loved laying with us but once he started liking his crate that’s the only place he really likes to nap in now
I agree that they all vary but once they form a bond with you, which takes some time, they want to be near you all the time.

Just don't push it on him and he'll start coming around when he's ready.
that is what we’re hoping for! Sometimes it’s so hard to not want to cuddle him. They’re just the cutest things lol

My girl, (Dobe mix), was not a cuddly puppy! I found that at a certain stage of training, about 8 months for us, she started showing more affection. As we played and trained and established our house rules she learned to respect me and that is when she came to me for affection. She didn't fear or dislike me, just hadn't formed that really close bond. When you do reach that stage your pup will probably be as velcro as any Dobe out there! :)
I can’t wait for that! He’s had such a strict routine and I know it will be better for him in the long run but sometimes I wonder if that will cause him to never want to cuddle and relax with us.

I know it will be better for him in the long run but sometimes I wonder if that will cause him to never want to cuddle and relax with us.
As has already been said, let him come around on his own time. Mine was extremely independent and didn't like being close to anyone. I let her have her space and she took it. I've never witnessed a more serious puppy, but she eventually warmed up and would tolerate petting, but it took about a year to where she would really snooze by my legs. It'll all work out, believe it!

We are in the same boat with our now 5 month old. But he seems to just barely be starting to figure out how not to bite. And he likes to be pet now! (For 30 seconds in the morning and immediately before bed). 🤣 Otherwise, he only wants to PLAY!

Maybe it's not so much cuddling, but if you find their happy spot, they will hold still for that! For Kaiser, he loves having the base of his ears being rubbed. He'll even lower his head and make sighing sounds.

Back