1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Now It's My Turn To Worry :( (In memory of Chloe)

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by MLR, Dec 7, 2009.

1. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

Now It's My Turn To Worry :(

Was just wondering how she was feeling and if she is still eating ok?

Hope she is still making good progress MLR. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

i was going to ask the same Mary Lou, how ya all doing ???
    give Herc and Chloe a big hug from me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

It has been a few days now Mary Lou....I am really hoping no news is GOOD news!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

I was just thinking the same thing! Hope Chloe is doing okay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Mary Lou???? hope everyhting is doing ok on your end with Chloe and Herc

• Like Like x 1
  6. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Sorry guys. Everything's pretty much the same, with a twist. Chloe has reverted to leaking everywhere again owing to the Prednesone making her extremely thirsty. So she's back in Depends again for the duration of getting her off the steroids. I hope this is just a fluke because she was doing so good in that department. Her incision's still not completely healed and leeks a little blood but not gushing. That's from the steroids slowing down the healing, too. But the upper hole is slowly filling in. She's still eating on her own with my bribing her with ground chicken jerky mixed into her food. I tried some salt and vinegar potato chips crushed up in her food the other day and she went for it. That's way more cost effective than the jerky so I'm weaning her onto that as a food stimulus. She's still not interested in just dry kibble, though. Other than that she's doing fine. I've been working non-stop this weekend getting my above ground pool ready to fill and Chloe and Hercules have been outside with me most of the time. It got cold yesterday and Chloe was visibly shivering so I made both of them go in the house and to their crates to warm up. She doesn't really run around much. She just lays on the ground so if it's cold she's going to get cold faster than before. One thing happened Saturday that hasn't happened since this whole thing began. For just a little while Herc and Chloe played tug outside with one of their rubber toys. They did that until Herc reared up and knocked Chloe off her feet. That's never happened before and it kind of made Chloe know she wasn't as agile as she used to be so she came over and laid down by me at the picnic table. But she's at least trying some of the things she used to do. I've noticed that she doesn't stand up on just the one rear leg when they're barking at the gate at passersby anymore either. But she does stand there on all three and bark at them so that's something. We also buried her leg Saturday and said goodbye to the cancer. I've had it in the freezer waiting until the ground thawed enough to dig a hole for it. This was the first time I looked at it as it was wrapped up in a double thickness garbage bag. It was a bit of a jolt seeing her paw but I tried not to think about it. I saw all the cancer. It looked kind of a cream color and like rounded clusters of fat deposits all glued together. It was everywhere in the upper outside portion of her leg. I just hope the vet got it all. Anyway, we had a short ceremony and I let Chloe sniff her leg before I put it in the ground. I put a little fence around it so neither of them would bother trying to dig it up. I know all this may sound weird but when Chloe finally does go I want all of her buried in the same place. Thanks you all for being here and caring about Chloe and me. I don't know how I would get through this without you.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

Glad to hear Chloe is still doing well (except for the leak which is a small problem compared to most of her problems)and still eating on her own!! Nice to hear that she had a small game of tug with Herc....that sounds like she is feeling more like her old self, if only she hadn't got knocked over. I can understand how you want all of Chloe buried in the same place Mary Lou....but I don't know if I could have kept the leg and buried it myself....you are much braver than me!! Thanks so much for letting us know how things are going! Sending hugs and prayers for all of you!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I'm not all that brave BM. It sounded like a good idea back when she had the surgery but it was beginning to bother me having it in the freezer so long so I did what I had to with it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

It breaks my heart to hear about the leg but I can completly understand why you would do that...

I would have done the same thing in that situation. Be strong MLR. Chloe has a lot of life left to go in her... :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. lady Dobie

lady Dobie Notable member

keep hoping and praying things will keep looking up............

• Like Like x 1
  11. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Everything's about the same. I'm still trying to wean Chloe off the Prednesone but every time I cut the does by a half a pill her gums turn pale so I'm doing it by quarter pill increments. She's also still eating on her own so long as I add a piece of ground up chicken jerky to her kibble and canned food mix. Lately I tried substituting salt and vinegar potato chips for the jerky because it's really expensive and Chloe's not balking at eating them instead mixed in with her food. That's $2.00 a bag vs $15.00 for the chicken jerky. I took Herc and Chloe for a walk to the playground last night. She enjoyed that but would not go up on the toddler jungle gym. So I asked some girls that were there to keep an eye on Herc and put Chloe's collar on and tried to lead her up the steps. She freaked and lost her balance and basically I half dragged her and she half crawled up the steps crying all the way. I think it was because these aren't solid stairs; they open mess like. Anyway, I finally got her to the top and I figured she wouldn't want to go down the slide. Wrong. I still had her leash looped around my wrist and off she plunged. She got hung up half way down because I couldn't get the leash off fast enough. But when I was finally able to let go she went the rest of the way down no problems and then ran right back over to our picnic table, and there she stayed until we walked the long way home. I will say one thing about her only having three legs, I can now walk her past any cat, dog, or squirrel and she hasn't once been able to pull me off my feet. But this is definitely not how I wanted her to learn not to do that. Even Herc is easier to manage now that she can't do her funny little back step and then lurch forward at full throttle. We walked back home through my neighborhood full of cats a squirrels and they both behaved. I'm sure that it was killing Chloe but I did remember to give them treats each time we managed to get past a critter without incident. Thank you for asking and praying for Chloe. All I know is that last winter my vet said she wouldn't be here by this time. But we all know whose responsible for him being wrong, don't we.

• Like Like x 4
  12. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

Glad to hear she is still eating on her own and getting around ok. Awesome news! :)

praying that your days continue to get better and that she continues to improve... :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Chloe's had another set back. She had her vet appointment today and I made him take a serious look at the lumps she's developed. The biggest one on top of her shoulder blades is ulcerated and I told him I didn't think it was a fatty cyst, that it looked more like cancer after my seeing her leg for the first time when I buried it last week. He agreed. That lump has gone form the size of a large marble to about a forth of an orange in one weeks time. So she's going in for more surgery this Thursday to remove all her lumps. She has five altogether, including one the size of a bebe just at the top of her leg amputation surgery. Please keep up your prayers. She also has to be off the Prednosone by Thursday. I've already started to cut back and her red cells are kicking out immature cells again. This is a danger for her as it affects her blood pressure and makes her bottom out. This is the first time I've been really afraid for her and the outcome of this surgery.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh no! You guys just can't seem to get a break. I hope everything goes well. Please keep us updated.

15. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

Sorry to hear that Mary. We will be saying a few extra prayers for you both.

I wish things did not have to be so darn rough for you and Chloe right now...

16. Damasyn

Damasyn Novitiate

So sorry to hear this Mary Lou! I hope though because of all the good care and feeding shes been getting, she will make it thru just fine. Dont get too discouraged, you two have made it this far. She has gotten alot more care than some would have been able to give in these hard economic times. So every day that she is tramping around the yard and the house is such a huge bonus you have given her. Keeping my fingers crossed for you both !

17. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

Dam Mary Lou...one more big bump in Chloe's road to recovery.....poor girl....but you and her are both such fighters and the entire forum will be sending up extra prayers to get her through this patch of rough road once again!!!! It is so darn frustrating (I can't imagine the frustration you must be feeling) but I guess we must try and stay positive for Chloe's sake, pray extra hard and with your loving care you will bring her through this once again!! Sending :bighug: to you Chloe and Herc!!!!!

18. swiftK9s

swiftK9s Hot Topics Subscriber

*Hugs* to you Mary Lou... and Chloe. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

19. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I got the verdict from the vet today; Chloe has a second kind of cancer going on with those lumps. It's called Cutanious Lymphoma which is basically a cancer of the immune system which would explain the anemia. Here's a link I found on this type of cancer. It's none curable but treatable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutaneous_T-cell_lymphoma

I guess I'm a little numb right now. I don't know what to think. All I know for sure is that I don't want her in pain. She has to be on antibiotics for 10 days and off the Prednesone for two weeks. Everything else we'll play by ear and take it one day at a time. You know, this doesn't seem right or fair for her. She's going to be four on June 27th if she lives that long. The vet's giving her a month this time. This is all in Gods hands. Thank you all for being here and praying for Chloe.

• Like Like x 3
  20. swiftK9s

swiftK9s Hot Topics Subscriber

I dont know what to say Mary Lou.. I am just so sorry. Please give Chloe a sweet hug for me. I wish I was there to give you a real hug, I know you could could one (or a hundred). Take good care.. you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like Like x 1