Meet our first foster fail.

GennyB

Moderator
Hot Topics Subscriber
Most of you know that I voluteer at a local shelter. I have done this for decades and this shelter is probably the best shelter I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They have of a ton of community support which helps them to do the rescue process right.
A couple of weeks ago a sweet girl came in that just stole my heart. She's everything my family wants in a dog. As expected she went through the process of getting ready for a new home with flying colors. So when she was ready for home stay process and guess who put their name in the hat to be the one to keep her for her home stay. 😊 She is a lab mix named Tarra that is right at the 1 year mark. I brought her home Friday and my oldest son came for dinner last night. He fell for her at first sight and she quickly said this is MY man. So I called this morning and put her on the hold list and my son will be headed to the shelter in the morning to make her his.

Here she is, a goofy lovable little beast that will soon officially part of our family. :love:
Screenshot_20260922_165823_Messenger.webp
 
Ya, my understanding of Foster Fail is sorta wry: "you volunteer as a foster to help a dog get ready for the next owner, but fail when you end up keeping them..."

So @GennyB you technically "succeeded" with a fast placement with your son, amiright? Your record remains unblemished!

We had one of those Foster Fails...and boyhowdy was he a project: GSD/chow with trauma, rescued mid life from a back yard in some ghetto in San Bernadino chained to a tree, so long it was grown into the flesh. The GSD breed rescue got him from the county kill shelter, but he was not getting much love, returned once...

BW was volunteering at a shelter event first time...still grieving her soul dog, GSD that died from a horrible cancer...only a few months before...

and the Rescue staff saw her coming a mile away..."can you just please foster him for a few days"...🤷🏻‍♂️😆

Welp...he became BWs heart dog so it was all good...but, woo. I'll just say this:

You know in Stanley Corens book on dog intelligence the chow is number 149 of 150...and 150 is not the top...

The GSD part helped, some.
Sweet but man...that dog was in definitely in @Doc category of "Not Right" ...😉...I haz stories...

Ps: @GennyB hows the big ol' knucklehead Riley doing? Sure is a keeper thanks to all your experience and talent.

I can imagine the two of them becoming fast playmates on family visits.

And
PS2: thanks for all the good you do at shelters.
 
Last edited:
So @GennyB you technically "succeeded" with a fast placement with your son, amiright?
Absolutely! My son will give her a wonderful life!
Ps: @GennyB hows the big ol' knucklehead Riley doing? Sure is a keeper thanks to all your experience and talent.
Riley is GREAT! He turned 2 on Saturady and I'm so impressed with the dog he has become. He has a major girl crush right now. Tarra seems to be the perfect match for him as far as engery but Riley is a VERY strong dog and is struggling a bit with his strength when it comes to Tarra. I'm sure they'll work it out because they seem to really like each other.

I can imagine the two of them becoming fast playmates on family visits.
They definitely have a great time together!
 
:congrats:to your son! great story!

Every once in a while, you run across that dog. Glad you were able to connect her with your son, and I would guess you will have easy access to be able to see her mature and flourish.
I think Tarra will be THAT dog for my son. She is such a fun girl and just so willing to try anything. She went out on his canoe today so I can't wait to hear how that went.
 

Back
Top