Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Looking for a good European Doberman puppy

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ronj1977, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

Yes she is from last years litter

2. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

do you know her ? I have never met just know she is down the road from me. Your thoughts on her?

3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Yea I met her a couple of years ago. She was judging a trial I was entered in at Gateway WDC in St. Peter’s. We have just been friends on Facebook but I may have her Judge one of my clubs trials in the future. I am planning on going up to train and trial at her club as well. She is very nice.

4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No, I don't know her at all. Just making observations and asking questions. Down the road from you is a good thing though, if she is open to visitors (which all good breeders should be!) You should ask to come visit her. Consider it an interview of her and and evaluation of what she has going on there. She, in turn, should consider it an interview of you as a potential puppy owner.

5. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

She doesn’t do Dobermans she just runs a shutzhound training place mostly Shepard’s and Belgium dogs

• Like Like x 1
  6. Doberman Gang

Cornhusker Schutzhund Club, it is a DVG club so all breed, Jacki has Mals that she competes with.

7. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

What’s DVG

8. Doberman Gang

It is the German club. You have to be a member of a club to acquire a scorebook for your dog to compete. Each dog has its own scorebook if the dog is sold the scorebook goes with the dog.

418A9481-8FEA-4276-B65E-3D4049A4C84C.jpeg 5F7BC174-1B87-4AAF-960E-7C247040317B.jpeg 7841F7DA-855C-400D-9811-14D249950569.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

She was the judge for my BH trial at Northern Illinois Schutzhund club. Seem very nice and helpful but that's all I know of her.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doberman Gang

I liked her judging because she said what things you were doing well in the critique along with what needed work. She was also very thorough explaining what she wanted to see during each exercise.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

What all is involved with shutzhound training what should I expect my dog to get from it

12. Doberman Gang

It is a more precision obedience. Three phases 1-Tracking 2-Obedience 3-Protection. Each requires a high level of obedience. In tracking dog must be obedient to the track they are following and not be distracted by other scents of people or wild animals that may be present. In Protection, the dog must be obedient to its handler. Calling off the bad guy they are guarding but not hesitate when he try’s to escape. Bite with stopping force and try to prevent the escape. Out on command and go into guarding again. Engage without hesitation when the bad guy attracts him/her and handle the pressure as the helper drives into the dog waiving a stick over there head and apply to two hits with a stick across the dogs shoulders. And a few other scenarios depending on what level you are competing. This is why I always try to express getting a dog from a reputable working line breeder. Most Dobermans and other breeds as well that aren’t working line dogs will not be able to do this work or training. It is too much pressure. We even build it slowly to help build confidence but eventually the dogs get to the point of either they can do it or they can’t. If you are truly interested in this sport I say research before you spend 1500-2000 on a dog that may not have what it takes.

13. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

Thx I might just try this I think it would be nice to have the socialization my expectations are see what happens if he has the drive great if not then it is what it is.i would say a dog that performs at 80% is better than not at all. This is for the dog not me.The best hunting dog I ever had who would out hunt most all others was bought in a Walmart parking lot. I know I got lucky but I think I might give it a shot

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drogon

I wish I knew then what I know now. I remember Jackie saying things like 'overall excellent exercise'. At the time I didn't realize that excellent is a rating/score range so I just thought she was offering a complement lol. I would have paid more attention if I knew what she was saying. She did make a point to come over to me privately and tell me 'You have a really nice dog'

• Like Like x 4
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

This brought back a (totally off topic) memory for me. We had a trainer named Jackie and she was old school hardcore. She said the strangest thing: "What a gorgeous head." I thought, what a weird thing to say. Lol. Turns out she had bred Euro and then American Dobermans in the past, before turning to...no kidding...Golden Retreivers :rolleyes: And what an obedient dog he was! Then she told me Kaiser was spoiled :woot2: Point being, there is dog language, breeder language, trainer language, and we only know English language! I had no idea what she meant until months later - hindsight is 20/20.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

So the breeder that was having my pup the dog had an issue and a pup got stuck so only 4 pups born and no males so back to the drawing board Looking for a 100% Eruopean Doberman I like them with the block head short muzzle and about 100lbs. Before people bash about that being outside the standard ( which doesn’t really matter to me) it says A Eruopean male Doberman standard is up to 99 lbs. According to what I have read I’m looking in the Nebraska/Kansas/Iowa/Missouri area

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  17. Drogon

Technically there is no weight in the standard but yes the FCI standard does give an about weight range.
    Males: about 40 – 45 kg.

Most Dobes who are that heavy aren't very active. They're sit around and look regal type of dogs. If I were in the market for a big male I would look to St Kreal or Diamante Nero or Rio Bianco but I would have to do more research on their health

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

19. Ronj1977

Ronj1977 New Member

I talked to a lady today who had this pedigree of dog and is active in ipo and such she will be having pups next month

20. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It's cool that you were able to talk to her. Breeders are notorious for being unreachable.

• Agree Agree x 1