1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Jasper at the vet - restless

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Lizbeli, May 15, 2020.

1. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I might look into cooling mats. Im not familiar with them and wasn’t sure if they worked well. I saw some vests that you soak, but its humid here too. Good thing you mention this Ritz!

Jasper threw up again, had diarrhea. But otherwise he is acting normal. Has energy, wants to eat, cold wet nose, good color on gums. Im not that concerned yet. He had two small solid poops before this. I added in some kibble to the rice dinner, maybe thats what did it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I made my own cooling mats. Those you buy did not really give the results I wanted. The cooling vests to me are useless and can be a problem if humidity levels are high like they are here. You need to get the abdomen and chest cooled, thats where the most vascular areas are and will cool the dog off the quickest.
    Also battery operated fans work well in conjunction with the belly cooler on. I also made a neck gaiter to hold the cooling gel packs that I put on their necks when they get hot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I have a couple. I first tried a cooling vest for Greta because I thought it would serve 2 purposes, keep her cool and help protect her from the sun. BIG mistake because it did have the reverse effect as @Rits mentioned.
    I don't have my mats out yet but I think they are from a company called Arf pets or Arf dogs........Arf something. They are supposed to stay cool for something like 3 hours and recharge in 15-20 minutes. I can't attest to how long they actually stay cool because none of my dogs EVER stayed put that long. But I can say I like them and they seem to work well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Crap, I don't like to hear he threw up again. But everything else sounds good so :fingersx:.

I'll try and find them. I don’t know if he'll stay on it either except maybe when we are all sitting on the deck. Once we leave, he will too. And in the house, he'll go on the cool tile so....we'll see how useful this may be.

5. Lizbeli

@GennyB Are these the ones you have? I read they it doesn’t require refrigeration. Is it just a cooling gel inside? How do you get it cold?
    13B435D2-B548-4490-885A-F96FD130EECC.png

Jasper has been having diarrhea for the past two days. I started adding his kibble into the rice mixture. I wonder if thats why. I have been soaking the kibble too so he gets a bit more hydration.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

They work by weight pressure activating the gel. I liked those so they wouldnt get the surface they were on all wet from condensation.

Hmm so he vomited again, once and has had diarrhea recently? Have you checked in with the vet to see what they think? I wouldn't think slowly reintroducing the kibble in would cause that when we're thinking he had heat exhaustion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rnrgyrl

Rnrgyrl Hot Topics Subscriber

His liver was checked right? My twin dobes all had all those same symptoms when the Hepatitis started rearing its ugly head.

8. Lizbeli

He vomited once early since the last few days. Pooped two very small solid poops, but now has diarrhea. Otherwise acting normal. The vet said they could prescribe an anti-diarrheal. Didn’t mention anything about him having something else going on since he is otherwise playful and normal. Should I be worried about the diarrhea since he has had it for two days? We are still giving him the omeprazole per vet instructions. Maybe that is causing tummy aches? Ill look it up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MyBuddy

Sale until tomorrow at Arf. I have to measure for size.

Screenshot_20200519-183706_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Sorry to hear that Jasper is still not feeling well.

Ragnar is famous for eating cat poop or goose poop....both of which makes him sick. Vomits some but usually has diarrhea x3days which lead into soft stools.

I start adding 1tablespoon of natural canned pumpkin and a good probiotic to every meal. Usually clears it up pretty quick but not until he practically shits/vomits his guts up.

I cut his kibble in half to at least give him something to eat and help move the nastiness out of his bowels.

This stuff works very well.
    B29FC700-0FFC-4DD3-80F2-0F29ABE39D6A.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yep that looks like mine. As @Rits said they are pressure activated. Mine are older, maybe 7-8 years old and still seemed to work just fine last year. No doubt Rumor will put it to the test soon. She is my least tolerant of heat of any dog I've ever owned.

I got mine out of storage yesterday thanks to this thread. Mine is 27x43.

I should probably add that it gets very hot here and it's also VERY humid so I acclimate both my myself and my dogs to the elements when things start heating up. Rumor is the first dog I've had the struggles to adjust. She doe best with temps at about 50 or below. She loves the cold and snow. If for some reason we ever moved north she would be one happy dog. I can tell you that's NOT going to happen because I consider myself too far north now........I HATE cold!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MyBuddy

Thank you! Ordered!

13. MyBuddy

In looking this up, I read one review was from a Doberman owner! :) Interesting!

Another showed a picture of it and said it looked AND tasted like dirt.:shock: This is for people to take too so I wonder how it tastes. Ragnar likes it? Did you taste test it? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MyBuddy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ddski5

@MyBuddy

actually got that recommendation from @strykerdobe so you know it has been researched thoroughly. That man knows his shit.

How does it taste? That made me chuckle....It is probiotics used for the gut, I would imagine it would not taste too good. No, I have never tasted it.

I spread one scoop around on his kibble for every meal until he starts getting solid poops again. When eating, Ragnar does not slow down enough to taste the food so that has never been a worry.

The pumpkin and probiotics are a solid remedy here when he dines on goose poop. He is starting to learn about cause and effect of his snacking habits, not fully but he is not as bad as he use to be.

16. MyBuddy

So you don't use it year around? Only when he has diarrhea?

Sounds like Buddy! LOL

17. Ddski5

I only use it when he has a sour stomach/diarrhea.

18. Tropicalbri's

19. Tropicalbri's

I would ask the Vet to give an injection of Cerenia if Jasper is still nauseous. Omeprazole won’t be beneficial if he is vomiting it back up.

20. Tropicalbri's

Does your dog food contain Citric Acid? If so I would be concerned about soaking it as some are of the opinion it may contribute to bloat or upset stomach.
    Letting soaked food sit also produces bacteria rather quickly if it’s left to sit to completely absorb all the water then it’s within that zone of creating bacterial growth.

• Informative Informative x 1