1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Jasper at the vet - restless

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Lizbeli, May 15, 2020.

1. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Our State park finally opened where we play ball and frisbee. Jasper has a good time, it didn’t take long to tire him out.

But once we got home he was acting really strange. Pacing, wouldn’t lay down, threw up. So we are at the vet right now getting x rays and whatever else they want to do. I knew something was off when I offering him a Primal marrow bone. He buried it and kept walking around looking glum.

A657C853-CF0B-4197-BF96-EF934AA18DF7.jpeg

• Empathetic Empathetic x 15
  2. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Sorry I had to move this out of the random pic thread. I know we all will want to stay easily updated on Jasper!! And this could help others with similar symptoms.

I hope he's ok? It sounds a little like bloat with the restlessness and vomiting. Did you see him eating anything at the park? Please keep us updated on how he's doing and what the vet finds. Hoping he will be ok!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Lizbeli

Well ill add a little more than if someone else ever has this issue.

At the park he just runs for the ball, I always have eyes on him so I know he didn’t ingest anything. He got tired, so we brought him home.

After exercise I never let him gulp water. So I usually wait until he is done panting and seems relaxed. When I offered water he stood over his bowl wanting to drink but just stared at it. So I picked it back up. Eventually he drank.

I offered a raw meaty bone while I was doing some chores in the house. He buried it- which he has never done. He seemed restless, would stand awkwardly and give me weird looks. I just felt something was off. Then he threw up water and kibble from hours before exercising. He seemed less alert, walked slowly even when called with a toy. Just not himself.

Update 1: Did xrays. No bloat. Is an xray enough to know this??

• Empathetic Empathetic x 5
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww poor guy. :( It almost sounds like it could be some sort of blockage but I'm not sure if an xray would show all types of obstructions or not.

Keep us posted and prayers are sent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

If he is hunched over, sounds like a blockage. Bloat usually has a distended belly. I think xrays would show a blockage because they’d be looking for some variation in the intestines. Like there is more gas before or after the blockage. Plus, a blockage doesn’t have be from something he ate today, anything suspicious from the day or two before?

I’m hoping it turns out to be just heat related lethargy. Please keep us posted!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lizbeli

Thanks guys. Im still waiting in my car in the heat. Have been here for two hours.

He wasn’t hunched over (no bent back) but he would stand strange. Like stretching out his neck. He had the flat ears out to the side too. Usually his disgruntled look.

I think you are right Kaiser about the xrays. So im glad they came back clean.

Im wondering if it could be heat related. Its not hot, only 70degrees, but it’s certainly warmer than it has been. Maybe he worked too hard?

I forgot to mention, he had a healthy poop right when we got home from the park. So less chance of blockage unless he got something without me looking. Which we all know is possible.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

They are so freaking fast....

X-rays do not pick up socks, I know that from two blockages. As Kaiser points out, they can identify gas backed up by blockage.

A tell tale sign with Ragnar was he would extend and turn his torso weirdly as if he was trying to unstick the blockage.

He had a good poop after the park. You said he had water afterwards.

Did he eat also? When did he last eat?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ddski5

Remembering back when, a DChat Doberman got really sick when he ate some dope at the park.....

9. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

So sorry Jasper is unwell and I hope they find the cause soon. Once question, does Jasper get meaty bones that have fat on them? Jazz got very sick after swallowing hard lumps of fat or gristle and acted a lot like that.

10. Lizbeli

Ate at 9am. Headed to park at about 1130am. He was actually due for lunch not long after we got home but I held water and food. So he only ate breakfast today. He got some water around a half hour after exercise. He was still panting though I think I should have waited longer

We are home now. He has his energy back. Stomach doesn't look so full. He is now showing a lot of interest in food. Vet gave fluid under his skin, he looks like a camel lol. I can’t give him water or food until morning.

Right now he is actually settling down. He is curled up in his usual ball. No panting or signs of discomfort. Im really hoping this is the end if it.

Not sure if you guys can see this, but here are the discharge instructions.

5F376052-5121-4A6A-B535-DFDAC0892026.jpeg

007408A3-9D96-4975-AB2C-8DACBB3BB736.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Hey this is great! I’m so glad he doesn’t have to stay overnight! Do they always have to pick a Friday to freak us out?!

I am hopeful this was dehydration from the heat. It was 62 today when Kaiser got his workout before lunch. This time of year, it takes him time to acclimate to warmer temps even though it’s barely hot. He came back home looking like he ran a marathon, but he didn’t even go his usual full two hours, he was seeking shade so they came home.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

Good sign that he is interested in food again! Now you just have to bear the watch and wait time, which is pretty hard to do! And they do seem to pick weekends to do worrying things!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Holding good thoughts for you and Jasper. It is so scary when they get sick! Sounds like this is ending well. Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rits

Glad he is feeling better. I know they marked that his stomach wasn't twisted so "not bloat" but their stomach doesn't have to twist to have early signs of bloat. They can bloat and then it may sometimes twist. It sounds very similar to it though, pacing, uncomfortable, gas and fluid in stomach, vomiting etc... Could be from breakfast a few hours before + exercise on a warm day. When Java had dock diving competition I had to either feed her really early or withold her breakfast that morning because she was going to be really working hard in the heat and inevitably drinking lots of water. Oh we also keep GasX on hand so we can administer as soon as we see signs of gas.

Dog Bloat: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments

I'm glad he is feeling lots better! Java had given me the same scare with similar symptoms. It worries me so!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ddski5

Believe me, every time my asshat vomits his meal, I immediately get extremely worried! I start rewinding time on when he last ate to his last poop.

So if he pooped after the park- what, about 1:30?? Too early for breakfast to digest? Prob was last nights dinner? I really would not feel better until I fed him again and he pooped from that meal. Talk about edgy nerves!! When my girls see me like this, the first thing they ask is, “What’s up with Dad? When is the last time Ragnar pooped??”

Drinking water and interested in food.... Great news.

Really hope he feels better!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Lizbeli

@Rits I really need to order Gasx. I have heard of it but never used it before. Bloat symptoms progress though right? Is it possible he might act back to normal now and then “randomly” regress tomorrow?

I know what you mean @Ddski5. Anything out of the ordinary almost has me in panic. Im such a worry wart. But we all know that getting them into the vet earliest with blockages/bloat is always best. I had the emergency clinic on the phone as soon as he vomited. I actually didn’t even clean it up until I got home later. It was mostly water and pieces of food, but still. I don’t think he will poop tomorrow morning just because he hasn’t eaten anything after his last poop. But after his rice and chicken breakfast ill be on the look out, believe me!

I was supposed to work tomorrow but instead I did a mutual with a coworker. The negative is that in a few days ill have a 16hr shift, 8hrs off to sleep and back to work for another shift. Thankfully my SO will be here for all the time im not now.

Also, vet said not to feed him. I felt terrible when I had dinner just after bringing him home. He seemed so hungry and I was eating a grilled steak in front of him. Talk about guilt haha.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

As soon as you said he was like a ‘camel’, my first thought was that he would be peeing a ton for sure, and then possibly loose stools, so give lots of potty breaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lizbeli

Yeah he has long pees. Its actually impressive lol. He can’t believe it either. He will start to walk and once he notices he is still peeing he looks under himself in confusion.

We are headed to bed now. Im hoping for the usual quiet nights sleep with no surprises. I used to have a dog that had seizures in the night. Now I am such a light sleeper. Its like I listen for any dog movement at night now. Well see!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rits

If caught in time and dealt with, it doesn't progress in my experience. Id think the night of no food and casual reintroduction of easy to digest food after a 24hr reset should help give his body some time to deal with the gas and reset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hope Jasper and the whole house is sleeping well! Just found this thread. Here's hoping for a quick, happy resolution to this!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1