1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Tobie

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by LifeofRubie, Jan 5, 2018.

1. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Two years ago my phone rang on my birthday while I was still in bed. I knew it was the vet and I knew they were calling with the worst possible news: my sweet Tobes has passed away in the night.

I adopted Tobie in September of 2014. I'd lost my previous Doberman, Vega, in a nasty breakup (I learned a lot at that time about dog licensing laws in PA and that dogs are property but that's a topic for another time) and had moved into an apartment of my own that was too quiet. He'd come from a family that, I think with two young kids, had become too busy to give him the attention he needed. He came to me with no leash manners, a little dull and dirty, with talons for nails but with the most eager and beautiful caramel colored eyes I'd ever seen.

He was the perfect gentleman in the apartment (which consisted of the entire second floor of a mansion on Millionaires Row in downtown Williamsport). I started obedience class immediately, introduced him to my family's 6 dogs (at the time), started him on some high quality food and watched this dog blossom. My best guess was that he was around 3.5 yrs old when I got him, based on his minimal vet records that came with him.

A few weeks after bringing him home, I noticed he'd peed a little here and there during the day while I was at work. On a walk, I noticed there was blood in his urine. Off to the vet we go and they determine his prostate is so enlarged, it's aggravating his bladder and we expedite a neuter. He heals up and we're good to go.

He made it through Thanksgiving at my family's house, thrilled people at a Christmas party I hosted, and showed me how much he LOVED children. He would walk up to the smallest one and drag his enormous tongue across their ENTIRE face, nub wagging with delight!

We settled into a routine of dog parking, city walks, obedience class, and hanging out. I would give him a peanut butter filled kong when I left in the morning for work. I doubt it took him any longer than 10 minutes to empty it but without fail, as soon he heard me unlocking the door, he'd jump off the couch, grab it, and greet me at the door with his empty kong and tail going a mile a minute; so pleased with himself at what he'd accomplished.

In February of 2015, he started vomiting. EVERYWHERE. Black putrid vomit. Two golf ball sized pieces of a toy I'd never seen presented themselves. We went right to the vet the next morning, they x-rayed and called and said he needed immediate surgery. There was a third piece causing a blockage. My best guess is that he'd ingested these in his previous home and they were just rumbling around his tummy for months and months until one finally managed to squeeze it's way through. He came home and we relaxed for several weeks while he healed.

In June 2015, I started feeding raw. He THRIVED on it! Always eager for a meal, he would now sit in the kitchen, staring at the fridge waiting for me to feed him. An overall better diet and more exercise meant he'd actually lost a few pounds but he was now all muscle. His coat gleamed, his dry skin issues went away, and his toxic poo's were things of the past.

July 2015, we were goofing around on the balcony and I heard him cry out and immediately stop moving. Off to the emergency vet we went. Perforated intestine from a 4" chicken bone. It was a hairy few days but the emergency vets got him sorted out and he came home a few days after. A few more weeks of relaxing while he healed. For a dog who LOVED nothing more than to run circles for the sake of running circles, he was a dream when it came to relaxing and letting his body heal.

I bought a Weston 32 grinder, determined to keep raw feeding GOSH DARN IT.

In the year and a half that I had Tobie, he taught me so much. I learned that adopting a dog and showing them what life was all about was rewarded ten fold with affection, gratitude, and enthusiasm. He had all of my attention and I had all of his. I had to be within sight at all times but he wasn't anxious when I left. Watching him run was pure joy. He was introverted like me in that he'd go and socialize but when he'd had enough, he slink to a quiet corner and enjoy his solitude. We walked in a parade together, went camping, watched football games, kept up with obedience, did the dog park dozens of times, and he even made the trip with me to Chicago to spend new years with my now boyfriend.

We got home from our new years adventure on a Monday and I fed him his chicken and whatever dinner like normal. Sometime in the night, he woke me with incessant pacing. While I'd managed to get his nails within check, they always clicked on the hardwood floors. Off to the emergency vet we went at 3a. They made him vomit but didn't bother with X-Rays. The vet on duty was more concerned with telling me the dangers of raw feeding and that my dog probably had pancreatitis; scolding me in front of the vet techs for my dogs diet and dead set on his diagnosis without further testing.

Tobie stopped eating, though. He didn't eat on Tuesday. I took him to the regular vet on Wednesday where I signed everything saying test all things. I went to pick him up after work and the vet on duty said he'd eaten a 'little' (Tobie never ate a 'little') and he seemed fine. Didn't bother taking X-Rays even though I had signed off on that. No interest in food, water, treats, anything Wednesday night. I took him back Thursday with a different vet and signed all the paperwork again. They called Thursday afternoon and said he needed to go into surgery immediately.

I went to see him Friday night but it had been a very difficult surgery and he was super drugged. Tiny pieces of tennis ball, that any other dog would've been able to pass, had gotten stuck right before the colon. They didn't dare remove that intestine for fear of nicking the colon and introducing bacteria. This is when I also learned about abdominal adhesion's. Since he'd already had two surgeries, his intestines had lost the ability to slide over themselves to pass things effectively. I told him how much I need him home and that I would see him soon and we'd be back to adventuring in no time.

I awoke suddenly from my sleep sometime Friday night when it was pitch black and new I'd never see my Buddy Boy alive again.

The emergency vet actually called later Saturday morning and asked how Tobie was doing after his visit Monday night. I had no qualms telling them that their vet was too busy lecturing and scolding me to find the root cause of the issue and he'd passed away. The secretary was rendered speechless and I hung up.

As stupid and trivial as it sounds, I went on Facebook and said that I didn't want any birthday well wishes but that I wanted people's memories of Tobie. They obliged and I got to smile through tears all day.

I hate that a lot of our time together was plagued by vet visits and surgeries. It hit me really hard when this animal that was in my sole care passed away after such a short time together. It left me wondering if he would've been better of in his previous home or another home. What if I'd been aware of abdominal adhesion's; would I have done something differently? Been more cautious? He really didn't really eat or act in anyway that was dangerous to himself so I doubt it. I think we just pulled all the short straws there were to pull.

I wish I'd been a part of this community when I'd had him. Sharing his pictures made me so proud of the dog he'd become and dealing with his loss was nothing short of devastating. I think I cried for weeks when I'd come home and there was no giant beast greeting me with his big accomplishment for the day: his empty Kong.

This was the day I bought him home
    [​IMG]

Three days later, meeting baby Cosmo:
    [​IMG]

A few weeks later; settling in
    [​IMG]

We won 1st place in a costume contest!
    [​IMG]

Fitting in nicely to the pack! (we're missing one in this picture)
    [​IMG]

Tobie and his BELOVED ball at the dog park. He could play with this thing for hours and ignore everything else. This is about a year after I got him where his coat and muscle tone were spot on.
    [​IMG]

He was not a fan of camping...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But LOVED footballs games
    [​IMG]

Me and my blockhead
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lest we forget the wicked black eye his ginormous head gave me
    [​IMG]

We won the costume contest (and hot dog eating contest) the following year, too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those eyes; Did I do so good, Mom?!
    [​IMG]

Stella Kitty LOVED Tobie
    [​IMG]

A few days before he got sick
    [​IMG]

And my favorite picture of my Toberman. My tattoo is based off this picture
    IMG_6336.JPG

Thank you all for reading. I loved this dog more than anything and I'm glad I was finally able to share our brief but certainly not-boring time together with all of you.

It's a few days early but I like to keep my Tobie thoughts to myself on my Birthday.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 9
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 5
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That's was a tough one to read and then seeing the pics. So many of the looks that I've seen from my boy too. Bless Tobie. He lived his best and happiest life with you.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That boy was loved more than life itself. What an absolute Gem!

My thoughts will be with you on your birthday x

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. blacknrust

blacknrust Notable member

The reason I keep reading this forum is because we all understand what our dogs mean to us. The members just get it. The joys, sadness, laughter, struggles, and the love...we all share this common bond.

Even in the sadness, your love gave Tobie the best life and I thank you for sharing him with us.
    :sorrow:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

What a heart wrenching and beautiful story. He was beautiful and the life you had with him was wonderful, as short as it was compared to what we want. You did the best of the best for him so don't ever let those "what ifs" creep in, even though it's hard not to do it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What a great story and you wrote it well.

This is another posts that I wish I hadn't of read but glad I did.

You are a special person.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Tobie was a great looking Doberman. Oh, how you loved him!! That kind of a bond can be found few places in this life. I know. You are better for having had it.

Thank you for inviting us to share in this. It's a pleasure to read what you have to say.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

It's a "special relation" we as Dobe owners have with our "friends". I say "friend" because of their need to be with us, and it's contagious due to the Velcro affect. Not to say other pets don't earn our love, but Dobes steel our hearts in a way that defies any explanation...I could go on, but you said it all.

Thanks for the share

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

A beautiful story that tugged at my heart! What a wonderful relationship! Thank you for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. LifeofRubie

I love that you all understand this. I can't make this stuff up... My Aunt, Uncle and Cousins lost their dog today, almost two years to the day as my Tobes. They were home and she collapsed. They tried CPR but it couldn't save her. Here are Tasha and Tobie; no doubt wrestling over the rainbow bridge.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  11. LifeofRubie

Kobi reminded me so much of Tobes... I think that's why his passing hit me so hard. I mean, tears steaming down my face when it was good news and then even more so when it was bad news.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. LifeofRubie

Tobie looks so much more impressive in video. I'm not sure my last one worked but I'll try this one. Tobie and his ball.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6