• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Is your dog fat?

I was irritated the other day when reading one of the many lost dog postings on our neighborhood info-sharing site. A dog had been found and taken in by someone. The pictures of the dog showed a thin dog, sure; but the overwhelming sentiment among commenters was that he was SO thin, and whomever he lived with was horrible and undeserving of a dog's love. One woman proclaimed "He's emaciated!"

Oh man. Don't tell me even veterinarians get it wrong like so many people do. I agree with you @Evowolf – Your Dobe looks to be a fine weight.

I think that most vets try and do good by your pet, but you always have a small number that think about the buisness. I think everything happens for a reason this may have been the universe telling me it's time for a new vet..

I was irritated the other day when reading one of the many lost dog postings on our neighborhood info-sharing site. A dog had been found and taken in by someone. The pictures of the dog showed a thin dog, sure; but the overwhelming sentiment among commenters was that he was SO thin, and whomever he lived with was horrible and undeserving of a dog's love. One woman proclaimed "He's emaciated!"

I think everyone is so used to seeing overweight children, adults and pets that when they see a thin dog to them it's a emaciated person or pet on their dying bed. So frustrating.

I think everyone is so used to seeing overweight children, adults and pets that when they see a thin dog to them it's a emaciated person or pet on their dying bed. So frustrating.
Yes. I can try to find that picture and post it here. I can tell you that Oji was worse off after being boarded than that stray dog was.

I see a ton of labs in my neighborhood. Every single one of them is obese. I was out in the front yard the other day when a man walked by with 2 that were heavier than the heaviest one in your pic. I said some thing like "WOW! They don't miss many meals."
The guy said he has to work hard to get them to maintain their weight. :shock: :groan::tap:

:scratch: Right??
My mom sees it.. “He’s a little thick” :nono:

Meanwhile others see him and say
“Don’t you ever feed him?”
:help:
It doesn’t help he acts like he hasn’t been fed since he got here several years ago.
:rolleyes:

A Dobe with a weak g.i. system who can't seem to absorb the nutrition he needs, and who was coming off nearly a week of boarding which probably consisted of almost nonstop pacing, barking and biting chainlink fencing. Yes, his voice was hoarse.
GB22mo3wkAfterBoardingSkinny.JPG

The husbands just can't handle it :laughing: Mine always says, "what about me?"

I can honestly say my hubs has not said this in a looong time. I had my first red boy when we got together and he knew my Doberman was everything to me so he did not complain. If he did complain it wasn’t to me that’s for sure.
He wasn’t blinded into it, he knew exactly how I treated and loved my Rocky so it was never a problem.
Being the control freak that I am, I don’t let anyone care for my pups!
Hubs has two hands and two feet and is capable of caring for himself so any “what about me?” would fall on deaf ears.
I figure I scrub the house, do the yard, wash clothes, buy groceries and cook our meals and care for all the animals and hold down a full time job, so there is no room for a “what about me” comment.

I love dependent Husbands...they're fun to watch after the divorce trying to cook, iron, vac, sew, laundry, etc...:yatta::yatta::yatta:

(living the dream, alone, happy, clean, and fed!)........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hubs has two hands and two feet and is capable of caring for himself so any “what about me?” would fall on deaf ears.
I always tell him he's not a dependent creature like Kaiser is. Funny that I have to defend the dog though. He is my hb's dream dog so he should be glad I'm so involved!

I mentioned it in the shout box that I noticed Della was looking a little plump and Albert was looking a little thin when I got back from training. I double checked with hubby and he was feeding what he was supposed to so I cut Della back some and then I realized what was happening. Albert usually eats in his crate because that's what he's used to but I happened to oversleep on the couch one morning and saw that he was just feeding Albert in there and leaving the door open. Naturally Della wolfs hers down, then goes and kicks him out of the crate and finishes his food too. :nono: Now that we have that corrected they're both balancing out again.

Back