• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Is your dog fat?

Moo is an English Lab with a waist. *GASP*
I need to find and snag pictures of two Labs I know of from online classes. They excel at nose work, plus dock diving and fast cat. I've never seen fit labs like these - wonder if different working lines of labs have different physiques? Moo is one of few labs I've seen with a waist, he always looks good in your photos. And Rubie always looks perfect. :thumbsup2:

I frequently get "Your dogs are too thin" from people with fat dogs....I just say I like them lean. My thought is, Dobermans have so much against them with health issues, why add ONE more that you can control? I too adjust food weekly...when Glory is in heat, she puts weight on, so I have to cut her back. I can not get my Clarke over 77 pounds ever. High energy I guess.
Anyone else's window this dirty with nose prints? ;-)View attachment 115522
View attachment 115521

Your two are absolutely perfect where they are. No doubt about it!

Here is a photo of Jaspers waist for anyone looking at this thread wondering what the ideal waist is for a dobie. To me this is ideal- You don’t want a boney spine or protruding hip bones. You just want a clear distinction of where their waist is. No sausage dobies!

* I joined a doberman reddit group the other day. Saw a post of a clearly fat doberman. Like big. People were commenting “that dog is a unit!” Saying how not to listen to those who say he is fat. It was sad. I think I may just leave the group. Disappointing.

07982CAA-4093-47CD-9697-9F4DC200CFDF.jpeg

Your two are absolutely perfect where they are. No doubt about it!

Here is a photo of Jaspers waist for anyone looking at this thread wondering what the ideal waist is for a dobie. To me this is ideal- You don’t want a boney spine or protruding hip bones. You just want a clear distinction of where their waist is. No sausage dobies!

* I joined a doberman reddit group the other day. Saw a post of a clearly fat doberman. Like big. People were commenting “that dog is a unit!” Saying how not to listen to those who say he is fat. It was sad. I think I may just leave the group. Disappointing.

View attachment 115537
I just have to ask... are you standing on your tip toes to take that picture?:D

I need to find and snag pictures of two Labs I know of from online classes. They excel at nose work, plus dock diving and fast cat. I've never seen fit labs like these - wonder if different working lines of labs have different physiques? Moo is one of few labs I've seen with a waist, he always looks good in your photos. And Rubie always looks perfect. :thumbsup2:

Awww thank you! Moo is the English Style which is what you see for AKC Conformation and are usually fat/fatter/overweight but the English build overall is thicker. American style (probably the labs you are seeing in your online classes!) are built longer, leaner, and with more "drive," I would say; typically more working/field/hunting type labs.

That being said, I know there are several labs out of Moo's breeder that do bird hunting and do very well at it!

Awww thank you! Moo is the English Style which is what you see for AKC Conformation and are usually fat/fatter/overweight but the English build overall is thicker. American style (probably the labs you are seeing in your online classes!) are built longer, leaner, and with more "drive," I would say; typically more working/field/hunting type labs.

That being said, I know there are several labs out of Moo's breeder that do bird hunting and do very well at it!

I know nothing about labs, so sounds like Dobes: different world regions have a different look & drive? I did read that labs can have a gene that triggers constant hunger, so I can sympathize with having to constantly monitor that. Thanks for the information (always learning)!

I know nothing about labs, so sounds like Dobes: different world regions have a different look & drive? I did read that labs can have a gene that triggers constant hunger, so I can sympathize with having to constantly monitor that. Thanks for the information (always learning)!

English Labs are show labs. Some can hunt. They say they have fat to keep them warm for hunting/retrieving in frigid waters. Field labs (American) are considered 100% working Labs. Some can maybe show but they are bred to work. They have more stamina than English Labs and an insane prey drive. They are go go go all day. Java was a field lab and Im not sure if I ever would want to purposely get one LOL. But yes it's very similar to show dobes vs working. Then somewhere in the middle you get the best of both worlds.

I don't know if I've posted a pic here before, but here's what 28" at the withers, 6 1/2 yrs., and the same weight as Life Of Rubie's Rubie (70 lbs., did you say?) Watch: When I take him to the vet in the spring, their scale will still have him in the 60s. Tell you what though: As strong as any 100 lb. Cadillac Dobie you see out there.

GB6yr3mo3wkLookOutWindow.JPG

I don't know if I've posted a pic here before, but here's what 28" at the withers, 6 1/2 yrs., and the same weight as Life Of Rubie's Rubie (70 lbs., did you say?) Watch: When I take him to the vet in the spring, their scale will still have him in the 60s. Tell you what though: As strong as any 100 lb. Cadillac Dobie you see out there.

View attachment 115633
He looks great!

View attachment 115633
He looks like pure muscle!

Back