1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Featured Is your dog fat?

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by GennyB, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

He’s usually in the mid-high 90s and yes very tall.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

Nero has put on a little big of fat cover since his neuter. (he's actually hungry now... go figure.) Personally I think he's about 70lbs and ideal. He could use some more conditioning and muscle though, which I'm hoping to do over the summer. It's nice not to see his backbone and ribs though! They're still obvious to feel though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

DSC06499-472x418-804x715.jpg

140 lbs. :tap:

4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Just so you know: That picture is squeezed horizontally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes just a tad. Do you think he is really 140lbs? It says so on the breeders site... I suppose it's possible if the dog is 32" tall :wtf3:

DSC06499-655x492.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

What ever the dogs weight is, it is extremely overweight. Obese is a better word, just another form of abuse by idiots who think bigger is better.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

32"?? How do they get that height without mixing in a taller dog?

And then there is poor dog. His fat rolls are just beyond excessive.

image.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  8. GennyB

It doesn't matter. Wouldn't even surprise me if the squeeze was on purpose to make the dog look even more heavy. The breeder's site is full of huge fat dogs. There is different dog at 135 lbs. and said to be all muscle. :rolleyes:
    I know someone that is actually considering a pup from this breeder. :shock:

9. Oh Little Oji

See, the guy's smart: It makes his Dobe look thicker and makes him look more slender :rofl: Seriously, though, squeezing (disproportionately sizing pictures) is a peeve of mine since my graphic arts days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Oh Little Oji

I would think that they just breed, or use Dobes that have been bred, for size. Isn't that how it works? People can breed toward the traits they want? (Of course I'm not saying it's okay, necessarily).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

140? That’s twice the size of Tara. Oh no, no, no!! Bigger is just harder on the joints and organs, and usually results in reduced longevity. Who wants that?

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Oh Little Oji

Totally! It's twice the weight of Oji as well!

13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This was Albert this morning after he's put a little weight back on. I'd guess he's about 90# now after I figured out that Della was stealing his food in the mornings. He's just under 28" tall, but big boned.
    Trotting by grill Mar 29 18.JPG

This was Della this morning after she lost a little that Albert picked up after she stopped stealing his food, so she lost about what Albert gained. She has a rather large fatty tumor on her underside so don't take that into consideration since it makes her look plumper than she really is.
    Stacked by door shiny Mar 29 18.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  14. GennyB

I'm surprised Drake doesn't have any yet. He'll be 8 this year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GennyB

I harp all the time about fat dogs cause you see them everywhere you turn. :mad:
    You don't want to see this either. :(

this I would worry about.jpg

• Empathetic Empathetic x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

If I saw THAT ^^^ I'd lose my mind...DOGNAPPER...

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Do you know the story behind this? Ugh. How horrible.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  18. Oh Little Oji

Oh. I just saw this pic. This version of it does not look squeezed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GennyB

He was taken from his owners because of neglect. Now in a foster home and doing great! I think the last update he has put on about 10 pounds.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Brioddy

Brioddy Active Member

Being a life long equestrian, I relate a lot of things to horses. Dobermans to me are the thoroughbreds of the dog world. Sensitive, at times hot blooded, lean but world class athletes. Elegant. You would not expect a thoroughbred to have the same weight as a draught horse even at the same height, they are just not built that way and the same goes for the dogs... one would not expect a Doberman in excellent shape to be the same as a mastiff in their own form of exceptional shape. I feel my mutt dog is doing good for himself, considering... I went to look for a recent photo but found it too difficult to find one where he's not doing something silly or laying down being lazy.

• Like Like x 2