I want to handle AJ myself. Advice requested.

obbanner

Hot Topics Subscriber
I could use some guidance on how to handle AJ in the AKC conformation ring. I have had bad luck with handlers and realized that since I've been in the ring hundreds of times in Performance Sports, it could be fun to handle him myself. He has one point. I quickly browsed this section and found good information. I'm currently working two jobs and would appreciate a bit of help.

I took a few handling classes with him when he was younger. I watched conformation several times and it seems there's a standard pattern. I could use some guidance on where to learn what to expect in the ring.

Thanks!

Go for it!! I would join handling classes again so you both can practice again! If you can find a show near you, go watch the breed ring as a spectator. The biggest thing is to listen to the judge! They each have their own routine. Is your breeder nearby? Either use them as a mentor or ask if she has contacts in your area that you can meet up with at a show and have them help show you the ropes.

https://showdogprepschool.com/ has what I think you are looking for.

Fenzi also has two courses. I haven't used them myself but I like what I'm reading. Handling a dog and showing them to their best has a lot of nuances!

I could use some guidance on how to handle AJ in the AKC conformation ring. I have had bad luck with handlers and realized that since I've been in the ring hundreds of times in Performance Sports, it could be fun to handle him myself. He has one point. I quickly browsed this section and found good information. I'm currently working two jobs and would appreciate a bit of help.

I took a few handling classes with him when he was younger. I watched conformation several times and it seems there's a standard pattern. I could use some guidance on where to learn what to expect in the ring.

Thanks!
Good luck!!

Back