Guess who got skunked

You are a great story teller! :thumbsup: Our last boy was out in the yard at 7am in the winter...30 degrees outside, and I watched a skunk come out from the bushes and try and make it to the fence....there goes our boy Dallas right after it....I was screaming at the top of my lungs LEAVE IT!!! COME!!!! to no avail....he was on that thing so fast...then I see him catch it, and fling it up in the air...(because it bit his lip) then jump on it when it landed. I was in my pj's banging on our sliding door. My husband opens the door, I yell "CLOSE IT! SKUNK!!!!" then yell for him to get the bucket and supplies....he had no idea what I was saying, so I made him come out and try and catch Dallas who was parading around with a dead skunk in his mouth; eyes swollen shut, foaming at the mouth!
What an ordeal when they get skunked....we had our house on the market at the time, and it had that faint skunk stink for a week, so I left a large note about the family dog getting skunked. :(

You are a great story teller! :thumbsup: Our last boy was out in the yard at 7am in the winter...30 degrees outside, and I watched a skunk come out from the bushes and try and make it to the fence....there goes our boy Dallas right after it....I was screaming at the top of my lungs LEAVE IT!!! COME!!!! to no avail....he was on that thing so fast...then I see him catch it, and fling it up in the air...(because it bit his lip) then jump on it when it landed. I was in my pj's banging on our sliding door. My husband opens the door, I yell "CLOSE IT! SKUNK!!!!" then yell for him to get the bucket and supplies....he had no idea what I was saying, so I made him come out and try and catch Dallas who was parading around with a dead skunk in his mouth; eyes swollen shut, foaming at the mouth!
What an ordeal when they get skunked....we had our house on the market at the time, and it had that faint skunk stink for a week, so I left a large note about the family dog getting skunked. :(
Yours was in the winter? Don't these a**holes hibernate?! And in his mouth? Omg, I can totally imagine that and the horror of it all!

We had a repair guy come in a couple days later and I had bowls of vinegar all over the house (they are supposed to help absorb the stink), he almost looked relieved when I told him what they were for :laughing:

I put this picture on here before but it fits the thread. These were under the back deck. My dad had already caught the mom in a trap not knowing she had babies. Skynyrd kept barking at the deck and trying to get under it. I got a flashlight and found the babies. IMG954112.jpg

I know there is not a whole lot you can do about a skunk spraying your dog......BUT did you know the spray can temporarily blind your dog? :shock: It happened to my sweet G. What a challenge that was! I think it was a few days that she couldn't see. Scared me to death!

Skynyrd kept barking at the deck and trying to get under it. I got a flashlight and found the babies.
Interesting. Kaiser has been indicating to something under the deck for months now. I have used a flashlight at all hours of the day to see if anything was under there and I didn’t see or smell anything. The perimeter has been wire fenced off since Kaiser was a puppy.
BUT did you know the spray can temporarily blind your dog? :shock: It happened to my sweet G.
I do believe this. He stood frozen in the yard when I saw him from the window. I couldn’t see him but his shadow was huge and I could tell that he stood still. Once he is in prey drive he doesn’t listen very well so it makes sense that he was blinded and that’s why he was frozen. His eyes were also red there after. How long did Gigi experience this?

Hopefully his eyes were rinsed well enough when I was washing his face. I just threw some treats to see if he could still catch them like before and he seems to be ok. I will call the vet as well just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the info!

Hopefully his eyes were rinsed well enough when I was washing his face. I just threw some treats to see if he could still catch them like before and he seems to be ok. I will call the vet as well just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the info!

How long did the smell last on Kaiser? Had the misfortune this morning at 4am of Trixie and myself being sprayed. Used baking soda and all the suggested stuff. However we both still smell like burnt rubber.

Attachments

• ABBA30DC-9310-4495-B915-91351CD2F517.jpeg
    ABBA30DC-9310-4495-B915-91351CD2F517.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 9
How long did the smell last on Kaiser? Had the misfortune this morning at 4am of Trixie and myself being sprayed. Used baking soda and all the suggested stuff. However we both still smell like burnt rubber.
Oh no! For the first 2-3 days it was strong. Bathe her everyday if you can and in particular target the area she got sprayed. Then the smell will come and go for about 2 weeks. I also kept him in the sun as much as possible. It helps to oxidize the oils of the skunk spray. At least Rex didn’t get sprayed too!

Oh no! For the first 2-3 days it was strong. Bathe her everyday if you can and in particular target the area she got sprayed. Then the smell will come and go for about 2 weeks. I also kept him in the sun as much as possible. It helps to oxidize the oils of the skunk spray. At least Rex didn’t get sprayed too!

Thanks for the info! After this post i grabbed some of the natures miracle skunk off and it greatly helped. Still a slight odor but it’s bearable.

And thank goodness rex didn’t get it. His fur is longer than trixies and he doesn’t like baths. So it would of been horrible trying to bathe him.

Hoping the odor on me goes away soon too lol.

i grabbed some of the natures miracle skunk off and it greatly helped.
That's what I keep on hand and it's worked better than anything else I've tried. There will always be a small faint smell with anything but it makes it WAY better.

That's what I keep on hand and it's worked better than anything else I've tried. There will always be a small faint smell with anything but it makes it WAY better.

Trixie and myself got sprayed again this morning. FML. The natures miracle did not help that much. But I assume because they previous odor was still there. However this time I got a lot of the skunk oil on my face. It’s horrible

A baking soda and peroxide paste might work better on your face. I used this on Kaiser's face, but couldn't leave it on for long since he might lick it off, so I put it on his snout and held his face for about 3-5 minutes at a time - wipe away the residue with a microfiber towel. A note about peroxide is that it can have a bleaching effect on hair/fur. I didn't notice anything on Kaiser's black fur though.

A baking soda and peroxide paste might work better on your face. I used this on Kaiser's face, but couldn't leave it on for long since he might lick it off, so I put it on his snout and held his face for about 3-5 minutes at a time - wipe away the residue with a microfiber towel. A note about peroxide is that it can have a bleaching effect on hair/fur. I didn't notice anything on Kaiser's black fur though.

I used tomato paste. Baking soda and dawn. Peroxide and shampoo. All in the same hour long bath and she still smells. I used the same on myself and I still smell.

I think imma have to wait this one out. However Trixie has lost all off leash potty privileges in the morning because of this. Lol

I used tomato paste. Baking soda and dawn. Peroxide and shampoo. All in the same hour long bath and she still smells. I used the same on myself and I still smell.

I think imma have to wait this one out. However Trixie has lost all off leash potty privileges in the morning because of this. Lol
Oh man, I guess you tried the whole variety and now getting hit twice by a skunk is just a lot of concentrated stink!

Nature's Miracle is very similar to Simple Solution which is what I had on hand. I don't know if you want to try yet another product, but it was this:

What we started to do is to knock on the back door before opening it for potty breaks that are early morning (while still dark), that way the knocking will startle any critters in the yard and they hopefully leave. We also found a part of the gate where we think the skunk was coming in and have since blocked that off 🤞

Oh man, I guess you tried the whole variety and now getting hit twice by a skunk is just a lot of concentrated stink!

Nature's Miracle is very similar to Simple Solution which is what I had on hand. I don't know if you want to try yet another product, but it was this:

What we started to do is to knock on the back door before opening it for potty breaks that are early morning (while still dark), that way the knocking will startle any critters in the yard and they hopefully leave. We also found a part of the gate where we think the skunk was coming in and have since blocked that off 🤞

I just gave her another bath after I got off work and it greatly helped. So we’re back to the same smell level to before today’s incident thankfully. The natures miracle seems to help after the skunk has had time to sit for a few hours.

I live on 5+acres in a rural area so unfortunately knocking won’t do anything since the potty area is a distance from the door and there’s no way to stop them from coming. However I’m going to start going outside while the first dog is eating and bring a 10k lumens flashlight and walk the potty area and hopefully that startled anything away.

Hoping to not have this happen again, Rex runs away from skunks as he’s encountered them before and knows better thankfully. However Trix is dumb and tries to kill anything smaller than her in the yard.

Omg, 4 hours is already a long drive, and then with that smell :wacky:
Ugh there isn't much worse than being skunked...

I remember our Boxer getting sprayed more than once in the 80's, always at night and at the time tomato juice was the only known remedy. It didn't work well at all and one of those times I had a 4 hour drive to St. Paul the next day with him in the car. :green:
Omg @JanS guess who got skunked again! And…we have a 3 hour drive tomorrow…😫 :pullhair:

Back