Guess who got skunked

Two Dobes

Hot Topics Subscriber
You are a great story teller! :thumbsup: Our last boy was out in the yard at 7am in the winter...30 degrees outside, and I watched a skunk come out from the bushes and try and make it to the fence....there goes our boy Dallas right after it....I was screaming at the top of my lungs LEAVE IT!!! COME!!!! to no avail....he was on that thing so fast...then I see him catch it, and fling it up in the air...(because it bit his lip) then jump on it when it landed. I was in my pj's banging on our sliding door. My husband opens the door, I yell "CLOSE IT! SKUNK!!!!" then yell for him to get the bucket and supplies....he had no idea what I was saying, so I made him come out and try and catch Dallas who was parading around with a dead skunk in his mouth; eyes swollen shut, foaming at the mouth!
What an ordeal when they get skunked....we had our house on the market at the time, and it had that faint skunk stink for a week, so I left a large note about the family dog getting skunked. :(

Kaiser2016

You are a great story teller! :thumbsup: Our last boy was out in the yard at 7am in the winter...30 degrees outside, and I watched a skunk come out from the bushes and try and make it to the fence....there goes our boy Dallas right after it....I was screaming at the top of my lungs LEAVE IT!!! COME!!!! to no avail....he was on that thing so fast...then I see him catch it, and fling it up in the air...(because it bit his lip) then jump on it when it landed. I was in my pj's banging on our sliding door. My husband opens the door, I yell "CLOSE IT! SKUNK!!!!" then yell for him to get the bucket and supplies....he had no idea what I was saying, so I made him come out and try and catch Dallas who was parading around with a dead skunk in his mouth; eyes swollen shut, foaming at the mouth!
What an ordeal when they get skunked....we had our house on the market at the time, and it had that faint skunk stink for a week, so I left a large note about the family dog getting skunked. :(
Yours was in the winter? Don't these a**holes hibernate?! And in his mouth? Omg, I can totally imagine that and the horror of it all!

We had a repair guy come in a couple days later and I had bowls of vinegar all over the house (they are supposed to help absorb the stink), he almost looked relieved when I told him what they were for :laughing:

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
I put this picture on here before but it fits the thread. These were under the back deck. My dad had already caught the mom in a trap not knowing she had babies. Skynyrd kept barking at the deck and trying to get under it. I got a flashlight and found the babies. IMG954112.jpg

GennyB

Hot Topics Subscriber
I know there is not a whole lot you can do about a skunk spraying your dog......BUT did you know the spray can temporarily blind your dog? :shock: It happened to my sweet G. What a challenge that was! I think it was a few days that she couldn't see. Scared me to death!

Kaiser2016

Skynyrd kept barking at the deck and trying to get under it. I got a flashlight and found the babies.
Interesting. Kaiser has been indicating to something under the deck for months now. I have used a flashlight at all hours of the day to see if anything was under there and I didn’t see or smell anything. The perimeter has been wire fenced off since Kaiser was a puppy.
BUT did you know the spray can temporarily blind your dog? :shock: It happened to my sweet G.
I do believe this. He stood frozen in the yard when I saw him from the window. I couldn’t see him but his shadow was huge and I could tell that he stood still. Once he is in prey drive he doesn’t listen very well so it makes sense that he was blinded and that’s why he was frozen. His eyes were also red there after. How long did Gigi experience this?

Kaiser2016

Hopefully his eyes were rinsed well enough when I was washing his face. I just threw some treats to see if he could still catch them like before and he seems to be ok. I will call the vet as well just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the info!