Gelatin to harden ear cartilage?

Jolene23

Hot Topics Subscriber
Does giving your puppy gelatin really help harden their ear cartilage for cropped ears? Has anyone tried it? Does it cause diarrhea or any issues like that?

Following, because if it helped significantly, I'd be excited.

FYI, the title of this thread says "war cartilage". I thought: Hmm. Pretty hardcore.

I don't know about gelatin but I give Flint pig ears from time to time when I need a moment of freaking peace. His left ear is practically solid. I started giving vitamins with probiotics too and it has extra glucosamine in it. Hoping the right ear stops being so weak and catches up to his left. The left ear stood for 8 hours out of a post (I know, bad, but it was a crappy situation at the time) and didn't flop at all by the time I got it back into a post.

That said, the right ear stands out of a post for maybe an hour before flopping. Flint is 3.5 months old and was cropped at 9 weeks. Maybe pig ears are the answer, but don't quote me on it.

I don't know about gelatin but I give Flint pig ears from time to time when I need a moment of freaking peace. His left ear is practically solid. I started giving vitamins with probiotics too and it has extra glucosamine in it. Hoping the right ear stops being so weak and catches up to his left. The left ear stood for 8 hours out of a post (I know, bad, but it was a crappy situation at the time) and didn't flop at all by the time I got it back into a post.

That said, the right ear stands out of a post for maybe an hour before flopping. Flint is 3.5 months old and was cropped at 9 weeks. Maybe pig ears are the answer, but don't quote me on it.
Is glucosamine supposed to help harden the cartilage?

I think Gelatin is good for lubricating the intestines (think when they give you jello after surgery and the benefits of that super thick bone broth).

Glucosamine is more for keeping tendons, ligaments, and cartilage healthy and maintaining the fluid that surrounds joints (keeping them cushioned). Not sure how that translate to affecting the ears, though. Even if it doesn't do anything for the ears, it's not a bad idea to supplement it! Moo has been on Dasuquin MSM since puppy hood and Rubie for the last several years. They're also on Vit C and Ligaplex Standard II and so far, no issues with joints or soft tissues *fingers crossed!* Might all be snake oil but at least it makes me feel like I'm being proactive.

I think the biggest thing for ears is the body redirecting calcium it's otherwise using to focus on adult teeth, etc. That's why posting through teething is super important, I believe. Not sure if that means supplementing calcium helps ears. I'm sure someone will know, though!

I really don’t mean to be a scrooge downer on this post but supplements being beneficial are purely speculative and subjective to each individual.

What is proven over and over is to be consistently posting with no lengthy testing of ears over an hour during clean out- all the way through teething.

The more one tests the ears and it droops, bends, shows any weakness; the more one is setting the ear back and making a harder hill to climb.

Is glucosamine supposed to help harden the cartilage?

I've read in older threads around here that it may/may not as well as vitamin C :lolsign:

That's not why I started giving Flint vitamins though. I honestly just want him healthy and the probiotics have tamed his gut a bit (every 4th stool this pup has has something weird about it I swear :rolleyes: ).

The pig ears... I'm definitely not claiming it does a single thing but maybe consuming cartilage has a weird Jeepers Creepers effect. Who knows? Maybe I have only been giving Flint  left pig ears and that's why his left ear is so much stronger than his right. :rofl:

I tried it with our first pup and I didn't notice a difference at all and can't remember how the stool was. I gave Phoebe Ester C and again didn't notice much difference for the ears but her stool did stay nice and firm.

I have heard gelatin helps with ears, but I have never tried it. I suppose gelatin (as with collagen) would provide some benefits but I'd say not enough for the desired results.

Back