Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear Taping using bumpers

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by FredC, Jan 12, 2009.

1. iceman

iceman Active Member

;)
    nope..............but Glucosamine suppliments do help a lot..;)

2. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

yep and vitamin C too

• Like Like x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh no! Since the place I had the pics hosted at suddenly closed it's doors with no notice, I'm finding more and more pics missing. I will get this fixed up asap. :eek:
    ~~~~~~~[​IMG]"Double Post Auto Merge"[​IMG]~~~~~~~
    .​
    Fixed....

4. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

since there so many new puppy owners now, i thought i bump this thread up and post a link.
    its the same methode step by step, thats ho we did it, before we ever heard of van Layne.
    and for all new ear posters, if you wanna get the tape off, without pulling to much hair out, you can use babyoil. just soak the tape for awhile in babyoil and they tape slides off. then clean the ears with luke warm soap water, to get the rest of the oil of, afterwards clean with rubbing alcohol. let the ears dry and air out and post again :)
    me personal i changed post every 3 or 4 days, sure if they start to look funny or maybe start smelling, you better take the post of right away and make sure that the don't get wet, if so, you need to take them of too. and the ears should be in a 10:00 and 2:00 position \ _ / looks like that ;)
    so here is the other link :)

http://misteldobermans.com/earwrapping.htm

5. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

OK now i need some advice or Tips, you all now we got Aesa here and its posting time here. thats not the problem at all. The problem is, that we have 108 degrees here and she feels missable with the posting and i worry that she might gets a infection in her ear as well. right now i change the posting every second day, but still i'm not happy with it and wonder if someone might has another methode then the backerrode, were nothing is in the ears. hope that makes sense LOL
    i really would try something else for her with this kind of heat here.
    And suggestions ?????Experience with anothr methode ???

• Like Like x 1
  6. iceman

iceman Active Member

I would carry on using posts...there is not substitute that would do the job as good..
    Continue to backtape the post and just try to use less tape to secure the ear to the posts..
    Why should ears get infected if posts rest on the base of the ear and not cover the ear canal?

• Like Like x 1
  7. BreesMom

BreesMom Novitiate

Please explain Iceman, as every method I have heard of has the post in the ear canal??? Love to know a method that dosen't!!!! Seems in hot weather it would be so much better to not have the post in the ear canal!!

8. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

yep i wanna know that too , you have to put in the ear and it will cover the ear canal and i do sure backtape and i just have two pieces of tape , one on the bottom and one on top, but her ears are so small it covers her ears completely LOL

and maybe pic's would be great, close up shots, its easier to understand if you can see it :)

9. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Novitiate

Why would the heat matter at all if your dog is living inside the house with you?
    If you are doing your part and keeping the ears clean - You will not have any infections to worry about.

FWIW - I have always used rolled up gauze instead of backer rod. It is very absorbent and inexpensive also.

10. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

we have over 108 degrees here and only a swampcooler DG, you probably don't know what it is and don't worry i keep all my dogs ears very clean and the nails very short and you do what you have to do and i do what i do.
    And guess what i post every second day, don't let them off for to long and its working fine, i do it like i did with Apollo and i think his ears just fine, so will Aesa ears too, but i'm not afraid to ask question and do not like i knew it all, always open to learn something new. And i'm also not afraid to admit if something isn't working or my dogs maybe did something wrong and i need advice, because there isn't suge a thing like a perfect dog out there. Every pupppie or dog gets into misshief once or twice ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Costa

Costa New Member

I'm getting my new pups ears done and I'm getting the short/pet crop just a little shorter than the medium crop. I was told that using a Popsicle sticks and tape would help them stand, but how often do I change the tape?

• Like Like x 1
  12. JanS

The popsicle stick method is very old and isn't used much anymore since they're rigid and can hurt if your pup lays on them wrong, so I'd encourage you to use the backer rod method. I have instructions on how to change the tape in this thread. Doberman ear posting - improved method | Doberman Chat Forum: Talk About Doberman Pinschers
    And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

If the backer rod is not stiff enough for you I have two methods I use that have worked very well. Number 1 is my most preferred.

1. Lay the backer rod on a piece of standard size duct tape and roll the tape on to the backer rod. Then use your zonas style tape around that.

2. Cut a zip tie to the length of the backer rod. Leave about 2 inches at the bottom so you don't irritate the base of the ear. Position the zip tie so it is not touching any skin.

Both will stiffen the backer rod considerably.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dober_mom24

Dober_mom24 Jr Member

I use this same method (backer rod), I at first didn't use a bridge and the ears would stand at the 10:00 and 2:00 position but I was concerned that once the posts came out the ears would also be at 10:00 and 2:00 instead of 12:00. I posted this way for almost two weeks (5-7 days at a time) and everytime I took his posts out his ears wouldn't be at 12:00 they would be more at 10:00 and 2:00 or 11:00 and 1:00. I decided to use the bridge but I'm not sure how long I should use it for. I have heard that you only need it until the base of the ear is sturdy. He has been posted with the bridge for about 3 weeks now, do you think he still needs it or can I go without from now on? My husband complains that he needs the bridge the entire time throughout the posting period because it helps the ears stand at 12:00.. He doesn't think it's a good idea that the ears are out at 10:00 and 2:00 because he thinks that's how the ears will train to stand (he of course knows nothing about ear posting what so ever, this is just his opinion) What do you suggest I do? bridge or no bridge? Let me know if you need pictures to determine whether or not he still needs them. Thanks so much!

P.S. sorry about the blank page above! oops

15. JanS

I only use the center brace for the first few weeks, if that and they come out fine. If you can see slack in the bridge when they're alert most of the time you can get rid of it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dober_mom24

Dober_mom24 Jr Member

Ok thanks, I will keep an eye on his posts and the bridge after this next taping and see how it looks.. Thanks so much! Pictures will be coming soon of the boy with his posts out :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Costa

Costa New Member

I'm still unsure how long do you keep taping the ears to stand. I'm getting the short crop and I heard they stand faster and quicker, and do you change the tape every 4 days and can you take the stitches out yourself or should I go back to the vet.

18. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Keep posting through the teething stage...then post a few weeks more. It depends on the ears on how much longer past then. No, you should not take the stitches out yourself. Have the vet do it cause then they can also check the healing of the ears at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dockermann

Dockermann New Member

nice article

20. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Member

While the posting is a great help I googled her name very very disturbing if its the same person