Ear infection and posting

Chaosmom

First, thanks for letting me join!
Anyway, when I got Chaos he had the cone and a head tilt. It was an ear infection. We treated it with antibiotics, steroids, ear cleaner and drops. It went away. After a few weeks his head tilt went away too. Now his head tilt is back. Went to another vet and she did a swab test and he has a yeast infection!
I'm treating it with a cleaner and drops twice a day.
I'm posting with zip ties but this is not really convenient since I have to try and keep the ear canals dry and breathing and put drops in his ears twice a day.
I need suggestions on how to keep posting without anything in his ears.
Please help!

There is a Half Post method that might work for you. The post doesn't go down in the ear, it is seated at the "button". @JanS might know if there's a video here in the group that might show you or give you a better idea where it sits.

Attachments

• half posts.jpg
    half posts.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 43
There is a Half Post method that might work for you. The post doesn't go down in the ear, it is seated at the "button". @JanS might know if there's a video here in the group that might show you or give you a better idea where it sits.

Thanks. I tried this method with his first infection but I didn't use the bridge or that much tape and he kept getting them off. I'll try again with the bridge and that may be the key to keeping them on.

I imagine a euro style rack would be perfect for this but probably not that easy. Wish I had a more practical solution.. hm

Welcome from Minnesota! :welcome:

I'm not sure what to suggest if you've already tried the zip tie and half post method but I wish you luck. I do remember that Albert had a yeast infection in his ears when we were posting him, but the vet gave us some sort of ointment that allowed us to keep posting.

Might sound funny or odd to some, but lady products, Monistat 7 has always been my go to if whatever the vet has prescribed doesn't help/work.

I'm sorry did I miss his age..?? Kinda strange most breeders have them through the cone stage before they go home with a new owner. I'm assuming the edges are healed but there is just the yeast infection? If the pup is young enough you could postpone posting until the yeast infection is gone..It really won't do harm to the overall process of getting them to stand..especially if it's a fairly short crop. ;) Photos would be nice too .. ;) We love photos especially puppies.

IMG_20190625_070436.jpg View attachment 98219 IMG_20190616_091026.jpg
He is four months old. I brought him home at nine weeks. The stitches had already been removed and he just had one scab left to heal. One picture is between postings and in between ear infections. The other was my first attempt with backer rod. Epic fail. He plays so rough with my dachshund, and his bell is so small I couldn't keep those in. I used the tampon method on all my past dobies. That's when I started using the zip tie method.
I tried the half post method last night but one ear keeps flipping over his head even with a bridge.
The zip tie method worked and they stayed in, and I could get his drops in, I'm just worried about the ear canal not being able to dry out and breathe.

I just wanted to add that Chaos is my fifth dobie. I've had three puppies and a floppy eared rescue. They were not from the most reputable breeders and I got the puppies ears cropped myself. I really researched and purchased, for a lot of money I might add, from a show breeder this time and I've never been so upset.
Don't get me wrong. He's a great guy. Smart and pretty. But I'm making myself sick with the ear infections and head tilt. I'm so scared the tilt will stay and he'll have permanent damage.

Aww he's a handsome boy and the ears are off to a good start.

Chances are it's the yeast infection making his ears so itchy that's causing him to pick at the posts. Our natural eared dog gets yeast infections all the time and tries to de-ear herself by extreme scratching about every 3-4 weeks. It's possible once the yeast infection is under control he'll go back to not noticing the posts. We've also used a horizontal popsicle support to space between the ears in the past when one has leaned in like in the picture (they're lightweight, easy to size and you can just slip it in between the top and bottom crossbrace pieces of tape to hold it in place).

Or I might size one with its own piece of tape so that I could add it as a spacer at night and/or when he's resting and remove it during the day so he doesn't manage to catch the ear-to-ear tape on something low hanging. Little scudders.

Back