Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear infection and posting

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Chaosmom, Jul 17, 2019.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would recommend changing every 3 - 4 days with regular posts so they can be cleaned and aired out more often.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

I would personally leave the posts out till you get the infection cleared up. It will take a little longer but I wouldn't want to prolong an infection (if the posts are hindering the healing).

3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Euro rack? I've seen it on pups and young adults.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Half posts work best for this. Use the 3/8”
    Or 1/2” if they are flopping over the head. I have a how to half post thread here in the puppy section, BUT....your puppy has pockets in both ears. You will need to corrective post with bumpers to fix them. this happens with the ziptie method frequently and is also the result of improper posting by not pulling up enough on the ear when you adhere it to the post. Half posts will not work right now as they require a strong base which he does not have with the pockets. In this instance I would not post for a week to make sure the medicine gets in and treats the yeast. Then post with backer rod and bumpers. Really be sure you are pulling up on the ears and pushing the post down in the ear when you pull up. If you had to post during the treatment continue to post with zipties and then switch to backer rod. Do not bridge as it will contribute to the pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

He's a nice looking pup.. It's still curious to me that he would still have been in a cone if the stitches were already out.. oh well I know there are many ways around the barn... Hows he doing now?

6. Chaosmom

Chaosmom New Member

His ears were still healing and I guess she didn't want them hanging to heal. I just took it off and let them heal. Unless she knew he still had the head tilt and used the cup as an excuse.
    Either way, she's a very reputable show breeder but hasn't contacted me once to check on him. ☹️
    He's put together well, great temperament and learns quickly but....even though his yeast infection is cleared up, the head tilt has not gone away like it did after his initial infection
    I don't know what to do.
    Thanks for asking.

7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Maybe I missed it but did anyone address the head tilt at all? We haven’t had an ear infection so I don’t know if that’s normal but this is my first time reading about such a thing on this site. So his head is always tilted? Mine will tilt his head when he’s being cute or wants something, but it’s brief.

8. Chaosmom

Chaosmom New Member

No one had any suggestions about his head tilt. It's not all the time but a lot when he's walking and definitely when he's focused on something.
    I guess my next step, if it doesn't improve this next week will to get a video scope. Vet said we could do an MRI but I don't want to go to that extreme yet.
    He doesn't have any other symptoms of it being neurological. That's why I'm wondering if he has something deep inside his canal.