Dog fight ends with Dobe being shot

Kaiser2016

This was posted by the owner of the Doberman that was shot and died. It is disturbing to read as she was just walking her Dobe like any of us would. Take this as a warning of how terribly things can go wrong. Be cautious about strangers approaching and even if your dog is good with little dogs, we should think twice before letting dogs meet. Dogs and their owners are unpredictable. This really wasn’t worth it. The owner could have been shot as well since she tried to block the shooter and who even knows what will happen to the shooter.

Screenshot from Zephyr_the_dobermann on Instagram - she also posted pictures (there is a warning to prevent accidental viewing) showing the gun shot wounds.

FA78C66B-F9EC-4A0C-A708-76D7A98EC3AF.jpeg

I don't even know this dog and my heart hurt for them. I went looking for more information, did I read this right this was at a dog park? I was wondering why the Dobe wasn't on leash. Truly terrifying and a great reminder to just walk away from strange dogs when you don't know the other person.

It bothers me the man shot to kill too and shot with the owner so close to her dog. Three shots in the chest and neck.

I am so angry reading this, and so heartbroken at the same time. If this is a state where he was issued a permit to carry, it needs to be revoked. Its not like the dog was attacking a human. Granted, I love my boy to death. I can’t say I wouldn’t do what I needed to do if I thought he was being killed by another dog.

Reminds me to purchase a break stick for our daily walks... I rather not have to use my knife on an attacking dog, never mind a gun.

I have conflicted opinions. Sounds like neither dog was on a leash or completely under control but I realize how quickly situations can escalate. I believe it was in Arizona? Not sure what their guns laws are. But this guy had a loaded gun, allegedly with the safety off, at the ready? Why would any stranger with a dog approach any other stangers with a dog/dogs? Was this guy looking for a tussel?

Very, very sad situation all around. I wonder if he got fined or ticketed or if he was legally in the ok?

Wow that was a frightening story it makes me glad sometimes that we have the gun laws we do in the UK, it's so important you make sure you can control your dog in public places, that is a legal requirement we have and if somebodys dog isn't under control and gets in your dogs face and gets hurt you are not at fault, agree with @JanS sad and needless.

My heart breaks for Z’s owner.. nobody’s dog deserves to die like that, not in front of their owner.

The fact that he resorted to shooting the dog so quickly is disturbing. Poor judgment call. Both parties are at fault but Z didn’t have to die a senseless death, that much is clear.

Sounds like neither dog was on a leash or completely under control but I realize how quickly situations can escalate. But this guy had a loaded gun, allegedly with the safety off, at the ready? Why would any stranger with a dog approach any other stangers with a dog/dogs? Was this guy looking for a tussel?

So tragic and heartbreaking.
The first three sentences of Zephyr's owner's post catch my attention. Why would a stranger approach like that. They grabbed their dogs and the stranger continues to come closer - with a loaded gun to boot.

The Doberman's owner has 33.9k followers on IG, beautiful marvelous photos, probably looks like a Dream life to many, and their geographical location is also visible in the posts. There are sickos out there, some not wanting others to be happy. Though the majority of comments the last few days are compassionate, some are quite nasty.
Apparently the small dog was leashed but not the Doberman.

Last edited:
Why would a stranger approach like that. They grabbed their dogs and the stranger continues to come closer - with a loaded gun to boot.
Yes, his approach seemed too deliberate. If the shooter didn’t care about his little dog, maybe he used it as bait to shoot a big dog. Lots of sickos out there.

So tragic and heartbreaking.
The first three sentences of Zephyr's owner's post catch my attention. Why would a stranger approach like that. They grabbed their dogs and the stranger continues to come closer - with a loaded gun to boot.

The Doberman's owner has 33.9k followers on IG, beautiful marvelous photos, probably looks like a Dream life to many, and their geographical location is also visible in the posts. There are sickos out there, some not wanting others to be happy. Though the majority of comments the last few days are compassionate, some are quite nasty.
Apparently the small dog was leashed but not the Doberman.
You very well may be onto something here.

By the way, if you're going to try to gain personal fame and adoration by having a social media presence based solely on your dog, maybe have them do something besides get pictures taken.

I know I'm in the minority, but I never let my dog loose with strange dogs around, I never go to dog parks and I very rarely let my dogs socialize with dogs outside our family. Even when I meet someone I know at the town park, I keep enough distance from their dog so the dogs can't interact while we're talking. When I lived in an apartment in the city, I was the same way and wouldn't join the local dog park.

Very sad story. Something just seems off the way it played out. I think I'll withhold judgement until when or if the other party tells his side.
It NEVER ceases to amaze me just how differently 2 people can see the same thing.

I wasn't there and I don't think the whole story is being told, the person with the Dobe is seeing the horrible incident through eyes of pain understandably. I do know if one of my girls was in danger of being killed by another dog and the owner couldn't get their dog off of mine, I would shoot the other dog to save mine. This probably isn't going to be a popular post. A man in our area was walking his Husky, got back to the front of his own home and his nextdoor neighbors pitbull got loose and attacked his dog. He shot and killed the pitbull. The police found it justifiable as he was protecting his own dog. The owners of the pitbull said it was unfair, he should have just tried to break the dog fight up instead of shooting. I don't want any dog to be harmed, but I will protect my girls no matter what. This whole incident could have been avoided. Dogs are not people and don't need to party. Socialization and dog parks are oxymorons. Socialization means your dog is well behaved around other people and animals. All owners need to keep their dogs under control at all times. Dogs do need play time with their owners and possibly other dogs that they know, but in a controlled environment, not loose in a dog park where anything can happen. This is just a heartbreaking story.

Back