Doberman reputation

This reminded me of a video I saw from a Doberman owner who had a similar issue on walks. She always saw the same cranky old lady pick up her tiny dog and give her a dirty look so she decided to pick up her Doberman in response and act the same. It was pretty hilarious in execution because she brought along someone to make the video and the other lady clearly didn’t like being mocked that way.
I have got to try that!

If you train them to jump into your arms, it takes a lot less strength.

I'm trying to do the "lot less strength math here"...:scratch:

Mo is 91 lbs....almost 6ft tall on his hind legs.
I am 5'3.....bout 130lbs....

He jumps into my arms....

OHHHH..*light bulb moment*
I figured it out.....he jumps in my arms....and I go over backwards......he's on my chest....and I don't have to hold him up:eek::rofl:

I have got to try that!
and get someone to video it when the small dog comes by! I searched the 'net for that video, but I guess it was just a personal story, not something @Kaiser2016 saw on youtube? It would be hysterical, someone here needs to do it, even if it's staged with a friends small dog...

Yeah, Asha comes barreling toward me an hits me like a linebacker, not quite 50 lbs yet.... Not sure the jumping into my arms part would soften the blow. But Tad is right, I can carry her, it's just getting harder and harder to pick her up off the ground.

I likely saw the video on fb in one of the Doberman groups.

Ya, I can’t imagine trying to catch Kaiser if he jumped into my arms either. I’ve seen border collie type dogs do it with such ease but I’d be afraid of the long legs of the Doberman smashing into me like baseball bats.

With our very first Doberman, our breeder had me go with her to a training session. Just for the experience of being with a lot of people and dogs with my puppy. I can still remember a seven year old Doberman was put through its paces and was so impressive! So well-trained and a joy to watch. But the most impressive part was at the very end, the dog ran toward the owner and she caught him in her arms! :shock: I. was. amazed! I never forgot that!

But the most impressive part was at the very end, the dog ran toward the owner and she caught him in her arms! :shock: I. was. amazed! I never forgot that!

I've seen vids of Dobes jumping into the arms of people, it is impressive.....not just the dog doing the leap to the owner but seeing the owner stay up right!!

I might be able to wrangle Bam if I could get him to come in and up from the side.....if he came straight at me.....no doubt.... I would go over backwards...he launches from the ground like he has NOS booster rockets in his butt. He's four inches shorter than Mo....and almost 20 lbs lighter but his jump is a lot higher and more powerful than anything Mo can amp up to.

I’d be afraid of the long legs of the Doberman smashing into me like baseball bats.

Bam caught me in the ribs with a leg one day while playing around.....knocked the wind out of me....I was sure he had cracked a couple of them..with just ONE leg!!

When we approach other dogs the boys are trained to wait for us to take the lead and get them behind us......doesn't matter the size of the dog...but we have had some odd looks from dog owners who have small dogs when they see our big, bad dobermans get behind us....... like they are afraid of the little ones.

Mo is 91 lbs....almost 6ft tall on his hind legs.
I am 5'3.....bout 130lbs....

He jumps into my arms....

OHHHH..*light bulb moment*
I figured it out.....he jumps in my arms....and I go over backwards......he's on my chest....and I don't have to hold him up:eek::rofl:
Once you both get used to it, it becomes pretty smooth. The weight plops into your arms which are close in to your body, which is centered over your hips and transfers the weight down to the ground. But yeah, I get it. :)

Will taking Tyson on his second 90 minute walk a woman on a bicycle was approaching. I stopped had Tyson sit and then down, which he did perfectly ok so I was showing what a well behaved dog he was and expecting a compliment. The lady bicycle rider said “Thank you I am afraid of Dobermans” before I could inquire as to why she quickly rode off. I guess perceptions about Dobermans will never end
I wish I have a £1 for every time someone’s picks there dog up when they see Odie approaching.I casually walk past them and ask if there dog is vicious? and then thank them for considering my Lads safety ..

Attachments

• 5A940FFA-2F82-40B6-9DB2-97355B821A60.jpeg
    5A940FFA-2F82-40B6-9DB2-97355B821A60.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 10
With people and my dogs I just "stay in my lane" and focus on my own dog and route. How people react is on them and none of my business. Them being scared doesn't affect my lads or me or our good time out. I just walk on and ignore them completely, eventually the neighborhood calms down and though people are cautious, the admire from afar realizing they are in control and listen.

I just saw this thread. Talk about late!

Today three men opened my fence and walked into my backyard so they could cut down another tree for us. Thankfully the sliding door was shut, I had no idea they were coming today. Jasper flew to the door barking like a madman. I decided to crate the dog just incase (you never know).

One of the guys asked me if Jasper would bite them. Of course I answered no, knowing that he was locked up now. But I'm not so sure what would have happened if that sliding door was open. Three tall men with chainsaws. Jasper looked confident, but there was a barrier between them.

One of the guys said, “of all of the dog breeds in the world, I am terrified of the doberman.” So I am happy I kept him inside! His negative energy might have set Jasper off, I don't know. They were strangers to him after all.

I just saw this thread. Talk about late!

Today three men opened my fence and walked into my backyard so they could cut down another tree for us. Thankfully the sliding door was shut, I had no idea they were coming today. Jasper flew to the door barking like a madman. I decided to crate the dog just incase (you never know).

One of the guys asked me if Jasper would bite them. Of course I answered no, knowing that he was locked up now. But I'm not so sure what would have happened if that sliding door was open. Three tall men with chainsaws. Jasper looked confident, but there was a barrier between them.

One of the guys said, “of all of the dog breeds in the world, I am terrified of the doberman.” So I am happy I kept him inside! His negative energy might have set Jasper off, I don't know. They were strangers to him after all.
Ah, lateness schmateness.

How old was the guy who said he's most terrified of Dobermans?

One of the guys asked me if Jasper would bite them.

When strangers ask me if Ragnar will bite/attack them, especially when around my house......I always say, “yes, if I let him”. That way the jacko’s don’t get any ideas about coming back to my house uninvited.

Ah, lateness schmateness.

How old was the guy who said he's most terrified of Dobermans?

He was in his early 60’s. Said he adopted a 6yr old dobie years ago that tried to nip him several times.

Its funny too because I told my dad to make sure these guys knew not to just walk in the backyard. And to let them know I had Jasper. He is old friends with the guys so they are cool. But my dad is bad at reading/answer texts. I have the impression he never told them.

He was in his early 60’s. Said he adopted a 6yr old dobie years ago that tried to nip him several times.

Its funny too because I told my dad to make sure these guys knew not to just walk in the backyard. And to let them know I had Jasper. He is old friends with the guys so they are cool. But my dad is bad at reading/answer texts. I have the impression he never told them.
Years ago, one night I was in a Walmart parking lot while my sister and her husband went in. I had my Red Dobe with me. There was an elderly man in a motor home with a Pit Bull in the passenger seat. I had my Dobe out on leash and walking around. The man came out and started chatting with me and we had a friendly conversation. In talking to this old guy, he said to me that the Doberman is the breed that he just does not trust. I said it's funny because the Pit Bull is the breed that I just don't trust.

Today three men opened my fence and walked into my backyard
I'm surprised they just opened the gate and came in! Granted, they knew your father but still! Why not knock on the door first? I would not have liked someone just showing up in my backyard. And nowadays it seems like everyone has a dog.

a Doberman is an intimidating dog. Our 1 year old dobie is very friendly and never aggressive, but he has a tendency to be too friendly with strangers. He wants to go right over and say hello and that means bodily contact. So, we hold him to one side and let others pass unless THEY want to interact with Kal-el. Lots of dog people are not afraid of Dobermans when they see the dobie is not all aggressive.

Back