Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Owner Found Dead in Backyard

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by LifeofRubie, Feb 12, 2019.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I read this article myself and it disturbs me that they immediately mentioned the Dobermans in the headline like they had something to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Bullshit!!! These Dobermanns did not do her in. A DNA test of her wounds needs to be done!! It will prove that there is another source involved, whether someone did this and wild animals came in and bit her or was a set up. I refuse to believe her Dobermanns did this!!

I really hope they investigate this deeply because there is a back story to this and the news sensationalizing this story to malign Dobermanns is not going over well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

Clearly these were very intelligent attack trained show dogs. So intelligent they knew the ancient art of death by face nip and then provided themselves with an alibi by returning inside and locking the doors.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Before you all get too excited...I know her personally. She trained in the same Nosework organization I do. Not a fan. She embezzled thousands of dollars from Doberman Pinscher Club of Houston. She also was known for innapropriate training methods and was banned from AKC events. She denied her dogs food for training reasons. She was cruel.

She had health issues. Bleeding disorder and falls among other things. The force trauma they claim was COD could be from a fall and the bite marks are not noted to be pre or post mortem. There were facts. The bite marks do match the dentation of her male, so he will be euthanized despite the reason for the bites. The female is in transport through a friend back to her breeder. She had a dog door, so her dogs could get in and out at will. Despite the COD a dog bite of this nature with proven dentation results in euthanasia in most states. The only reason they would claim the bites to be COD would be if it was the only thing noted in autopsy without any other medical reasoning for death and the jury isn’t out on that yet.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Wow x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Well, it is an interesting conversation anyway. We admirers of Dobermans will have our ears perk up and get our hackles bristling when we hear something so unusual as the claim that a Dobe killed a person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I call Foul! The media wants to sensationalize this as they do with everything now a days. Dobes in the house, woman outside? Even if she was bitten, not so sure I believe even that, unless she was mauled her cause of death wouldn't be the dogs. Maybe her heart gave out and another animal smelled her and bit her? Why would anyone jump to the conclusion of death by dog other than to cause fear or anger and make more money for themselves? So tired of unethical reporting and the cyber nuts on social media! Until they can positively state it was her Dobes, they should not assume or say anything about "dog attack"!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Archer

They technically aren’t saying that the dogs killed their owner. Just implying it by omission of information and the hype of facts found at the scene, which is done on any death report. Anyone who reads the article can hopefully see that and not be judgemental toward the dogs. Admittedly I don’t want to hear that the breed I love killed their owner, but dog bites do happen in ANY breed. She had a known history of a bleeding disorder and it is probable that she could have bled out from a bite. The extent of rhe bites aren’t noted. She could have also hit her head and hemorrhaged. A number of things could have happened. The report hasn’t come out saying if the bites were pre or post mortem, but these dogs were abused and we all know dogs can retaliate if pushed enough. The bite marks on the body matched the tooth pattern (dentation) of her male and regardless of how everyone feels, he is (or already has been) being put down. I have known people with dogs from the same breeder and said dogs have had temperament and behavioral issues including growling and snapping at people. Like it or not, this is very possible. It’s an ugly situation, but it does go both ways. I would like to believe that they didn’t kill her, but denying it as a possibility is as nearly as bad as the angle of hype the media is pushing this too. To deny that it couldn’t happen is not good for our breed either.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I tried looking for an update to this incident but came up dry.. I'll try to remember to check again in a few days. Hate that there isn't any follow-up with the news.

@Archer not sure how I missed your comments! It's a shame that she used cruel training methods and could've driven her dogs to some how be involved in this. If she did love the breed, she didn't do them any justice with in this situation.

I've reduced the amount of breakfast or dinner my dogs receive if I know we're going to training and they need to be food motivated but I suspect when you say she denied her dogs food, it was more extreme than just cutting back a cup of kibble for dinner anticipating they'd be working for the difference in class.

I'm home alone with my dogs today and call me naive, but I'm more concerned about falling down the stairs than getting attacked by my two dogs. We also have a very positive relationship which perhaps this woman did not have with her dogs, Mischief and Ranger I read somewhere?

9. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Found this:

Houston — Woman’s Dead Body Found Covered in Dog Bites | Williams Kherkher

" Preliminary autopsy determines that a sharp force injury was the cause of death. Investigators found two adult Doberman pinschers in the house, but did not say whether the dogs were responsible for the bites or Richman’s death.

As of right now, Richman’s death is ruled as an accident, but a complete autopsy is requested to fully determine the cause of her death."

• Like Like x 1
  10. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

yeah... I saw that too but was hoping to find something concrete about the autopsy report. dang internet is failing me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Archer

They will not release the autopsy report. If they do, it will be basic info. They have already said COD was sharp force trauma and more than likely not expand unless they needed a media hype. If you see my above post, there is proof that her male bit her. Can’t say whether or not that was the exact cod or not, but bleed out from multiple wounds from a person who has a bleeding disorder is highly probable.

12. Gatordogsrule

Gatordogsrule Novitiate

I would like to reply to Archer to that Elaine Richmond was cruel to her dogs. This is not true. I had never cared for her because of the missing funds from the Dobie Club which was awful. But she paid her dues. We had nosework class to together and we became very good friends. we had the same sense of humor. we insulted each other all the time. While i could have a melt downs at times, she remained cool and was kind and forgiving to all She was extremely interesting to talk to/ Now this some of you will just hate! we both watch Fox news a lot and would laugh at all the stuff Trump did to enrage the Progressives. She as extremely good to her dogs SHE DID NOT STARVE THEM!! LIE!!!! And because they had been in doggie care while she was in the hospital, he lost even more weight. Ranger was
    so high strung he refused to eat at time-s she fed a raw diet. Ranger went to a dog day care when she worked. He was fine here no fear issues. all the dogs had their nails done a lot. she would freak at my dogs nails. Mine are all rescues. They do agility. The dog Dart in my picture is blind which is how I got into Nosework. since she could not longer do agility , she still needed a job. I lost her to cancer at age 14 this Oct She was my heart dog. I had several people tell me not to talk to Elaine. I pick my own friends thank you. Ranger had a screw loose. he had fear issues. twice I saw him go from happy to full attack mode in an instant because he was fearful . She was taking him to classes to try to reduce his aggression. Sweet Oz who had recently died at age 11 was wonderful. He would break loose and everyone would be terrified. He always ran to the food table. Elaine did not have the best control of her dogs and Ranger's breeder should never have sold a big high drive dog to a disabled person. actually she had tried to break up a dog fight between Ranger and sweet 10 years old Mischief who would play so nicely with any dog about a month before. Of course she did not tell us this . We all lie to protect our dogs she just said he grabbed her arm getting toy. She was on blood thinners and they could not stop the bleeding. She needed 2 pints of blood. We will probably never know what happened. They checked the dogs mouths for hair and tissue and DNA their stools. Bite impressions show it. was Ranger He was a big baby and loved her so. He had a defect in his temperment. he never would have done this to Elaine in his right mind. I am heartbroken I have lost such a good friend in such an awful way.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Archer

It’s a sad situation indeed in multiple ways. Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m very sorry you lost your friend. I also knew her through Nosework (trials) and I have multiple sources for my comments as well as experiences. I would never make false statements that I could not back. To do so would not be fair and would be dishonest.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gatordogsrule

Gatordogsrule Novitiate

yes but ask yourself if your multiple sources were just hating Elaine. Did you see her only at shows? She did cause a lot of concern because she did not have the best control. And you know when you say cruel for with holding food . Do you do agility? I do and have seen and heard it all. I do not but many people do not feed their dogs on day of show. and if they run better, this to me is not cruel. they get the food after their run. and they keep their dogs on the thin side as well. And often rough treatment goes into disobedient dogs. in all dog sports. I have seen shock collars used a lot- some incorrectly so that the dog yelps when shocked. Shock collars used on hunting dogs keeps them safe from running off after deer. And let face it a sweet herding dog like my Smooth Collies work because they love to please. you get strong willed hard headed dogs and sometimes force is needed. Why I have sweet herding dogs. I had many Beagles as pets and they were very bad and stubborn at times. could you tell me your name? I may have met you.

15. Gatordogsrule

Gatordogsrule Novitiate

Elaine's dogs were always with her. they slept with her. They had a very strong. bond. They only ate raw and then cheese for threats. Oz and Mischief were wonderful dogs. I think in the end everyone was afraid of Ranger He was scary. Elaine loved him and refused to give up on him. I wish she had carried a gun and shot him. her cell phone apparently got knocked off her body. it was many feet away. Ranger does not deserve to live. He is crazy and dangerous.

16. Oh Little Oji

@Gatordogsrule , Thank you for sharing your inside information and your perspective. I am not taking sides. I just want to offer condolences on the loss of your friend.

My previous Doberman was unstable. He would unpredictably (well, we learned to predict it in some situations) go after people. He never laid a tooth on anyone, thank God. The people always instinctively flinched and drew back saving themselves, at which point he would stop his "attack" seeming to obey my command to cease. Best I can tell, this was not a training issue.

The scary thing is we had a child born to us while we had him. One time he got that look showing he was about to go after our tiny daughter. I spoke with the breeder and almost sent him back to them at the age of 7. The breeder agreed that there was possibly a screw loose.

This Dobe never went after me though or even looked to be coming close to.

At any rate, it would seem a good thing if Ranger could go to a home that would keep him and everyone else safe. Perhaps a single person with a ton of working dog experience and who is willing to limit, and closely supervise his every interaction.

17. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't want to believe that a dog, let alone a Doberman, could do this and it's quite frightening. And terribly sad. It's a horrible thing to happen to anyone. I hope you can find some peace.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Euthanasia would always be my LAST resort, but sadly, this situation seems to call for it. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Archer

I don’t associate myself with people who are “haters”. I don’t have time for that kind of negativity in my life. I don’t think anyone in the chapter breed club would disagree with anything I am saying either. I know for a fact they wouldn’t. It’s not a subject that hasn’t been discussed on multiple occasions. Yes, I train in multiple venues and understand not feeding prior to a trial or show. Everyone does that. I’m not going to sit here and continue to speak poorly of the dead, so out of respect to her I’m ending my portion of this conversation. I really don’t appreciate being called a liar or your implications that I am exaggerating, so I will respectfully leave this as is. Again, I am very sorry for your loss and I pray for those who were close to her.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Oh Little Oji

I am still leaning toward the scenario where the woman fell or otherwise had a health event that disabled her, and subsequently her Dobe put some bites on her. We know that a dominant canine may sometimes attack perceived weakness. I have not seen it stated that she died of bite wounds. So, I would take heart, @MyBuddy , as I don't see this as a dog attack or mauling. I could be wrong of course.

• Agree Agree x 1