Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Owner Found Dead in Backyard

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by LifeofRubie, Feb 12, 2019.

1. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Something about this sounds..... fishy. I can't think of a SINGLE instance in which I would be scared of being home alone with my two dogs. Do you think she was attacked by a rogue dog? Coyote? Foul play?

Woman found dead in backyard with dog bites in W. Houston

Monday, February 11, 2019 07:52PM
    HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --
    Elaine Richman loved her dogs, but her Dobermans may be what caused her death.

When crime scene investigators began showing up at her home last Friday, neighbors knew something was terribly wrong.

Well known for her love of Dobermans, Richman was raising two dogs, one male and one female.

"They were purebred Dobermans, beautiful dogs," said a neighbor. "She did training with them. They were show dogs."

Tragically, Richman was found dead in her backyard with bite marks over her face and body.

The two Dobermans were confiscated by authorities. They are currently being held at the City of Houston's Animal Control, pending the outcome of a Houston police criminal investigation.

"She actually has a closeness to Dobermans and she spent a big part of her life training and showing the dogs," said Elaine's brother Bruce Richman. "It takes a special person to be very kind to animals, which she was. All of her brothers and sisters were shocked and surprised. We'll miss her greatly."

Family and neighbors say Elaine Richman trained dogs for decades without incident. She was well known in Houston's Doberman community.

However, Richman's relationship with other Doberman owners was strained after she was forced out as treasurer of the local organization following a financial probe.

After her death, a number of Doberman owners contacted by ABC13 were reluctant to talk about Richman. They wanted to focus on the Dobermans, not wanting one tragic death to impact the perception of the dogs.

There is no doubt that Richman loved her dogs, and believed they were truly her best friends.

"The dogs were very, very special to her. She was very, very good to the dogs," Bruce said.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ABC13 Houston

✔@abc13houston

This is Elaine Richman. She was found dead with several dog bites on her body and face. 2 full-grown Doberman Pinschers were inside her home. Family told @ABC13Miya that Richman raised Dobermans to train them and show them. https://abc13.com/5132391/

4:41 PM - Feb 11, 2019

See ABC13 Houston's other Tweets

• Wow x 3
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I guess it could be possible but experienced owner/trainer with pure bred show Dobermans??? I really, really find that hard to believe.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have never heard of Dobermans engaging in mauling-type behavior!

I bet there is another explanation.

Like you alluded to, it's possible a foreign dog (or coyote – good point) got into the yard and it was that dog that did the attacking of the woman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It makes you wonder if she had some kind of health issue and died in the backyard (stroke/heart attack) the dogs saw that she was on the ground and went to investigate and tried to ‘wake her’....gosh, I hope this is the case. Surely if they ‘attacked her’ she would of been found in a horrific state?!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

No to step on any toes either, here, but; It was stated the were "show dogs." Most conformation Dobermans are pretty mild mannered in my experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Oh Little Oji

I want to know the case of death. Did she die of severe dog bites? Or, did she have an unrelated heart attack or stroke or something, and once she was on the ground, perhaps straining or something the dogs did happen to bite her a few times?

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Oh Little Oji

Yes, I would think someone actually being killed by dog bites would appear pretty grizzly, not just "bite wounds on her face."

Another angle: Maybe her dog(s) did go after her with a bite or two. Always possible one or both Dobes were of unstable temperament and/or she did something to trigger them to bite her. Maybe that sent her into cardiac arrest or something.

Heck, I've been face-bitten buy Oji when I made a bad decision regarding a bath and direct disobedience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Sent this to my wife and her immediate response was same as our initial thoughts.

“Maybe she had a heart attack or something and they bit her trying to wake her up“.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. LifeofRubie

The one post on Instagram, people called out the article for basically giving no information and that there was no way these dogs were involved in harming her. Shameful.

10. LifeofRubie

I've been bit when playing tug but NEVER out of aggression or anger or disobedience, ever. I also don't push my dogs buttons or assume they're infallible (not saying you do!). And one bite from Oji when he's in an uncomfortable position doesn't for one second make you fear for your life when you're alone with him, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

Thanks. Oji has actually shown he has quite a stable temperament. He's been totally reliable and never shown unpredictable or inappropriate aggression toward any humans besides that one incident where he bit me – it was my fault.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The fact that they were inside and not laying next to her outside makes me think another animal came along. Will be interesting once they announce the cause of death.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Well if they found her outside and the dogs we're inside I would have a lot more questions. Just for starters.
    Any blood in the house? Any blood trial going to the outside? Actually they could do a DNA sample of the bite wounds and the dogs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Oh Little Oji

Wait. The Dobes were found inside the house?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  15. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, and I wondered the same thing. Were the dogs LOCKED in the house? Could they do a DNA on the bite wounds to prove it was the dogs. How about the dogs? Were they injured at all? If she were fighting for her life, I would think she would have injured the dogs in some way. I would want to know if the dogs were locked in the house. If so then maybe a neighborhood dog got her.

Geez, blame the Dobermans without facts! Come on!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Yep, according to the link.

image.jpeg

Social media sensationalized it by improper reporting. Initially they also were calling it "sharp force trauma" not dog bites. Could coyotes make the same bite marks as dogs? Especially to the untrained eye?

17. Oh Little Oji

Irresponsible reporting.

Again, several dog bites do not a death sentence equal.

Address the obvious: Deceased found in backyard. Dobes found inside.

I suppose the woman possibly could have been attacked in the house, but let herself outside where she succumbed to injuries. But there likely would be at least some blood inside the house.

Interesting thing will be: If her Dobes bit her, but those bites did not directly cause the death, but could be credited with causing a heart attack, would it be legally deemed that she died of dog attack?

But yeah, to die of dog bites would leave a lot of blood! Was there a lot? Unless one of them strangled her with a bite around the throat. (Doubtful).

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. LifeofRubie

At least one article had the decency to write this:

Police found two Doberman Pinscher's in the home, but don't know if the dogs attacked her, or they were trying to rouse her after a medical emergency.

I feel bad for the dogs for whatever they saw and couldn't help with :( The general consensus from people they questioned was that this couldn't have been done by her dogs.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

My first thought was if she died from a mauling, it was possibly an attack from another dog. But knowing how the media loves to sensationalize, they only used “bite marks” not “woman mauled to death” to describe what happened to her. The first few lines of the article are still showing some incredibly obvious bias though. There is no information on cause of death. Why blame to dobies? Or the dog bites at all? No emphasis was put on the extent of the bites or where they were located. If I die in my backyard and have a large bruise on my leg, would they also jump to the conclusion that I died from hitting it on the corner of my dresser? :facepalm:Bet not. Such a strange leap to make when the dogs weren’t even outside with her when they found her. She could have died a multitude of ways. Although to be fair, not knowing how she raised them at home, it could just as easily have been an attack by her own dogs, ending with her running outside to get away from them and suffering some sort of heart attack. Just seems very specific. I’m very interested to hear about the COD if it comes out. Just not from that particular source lol.

20. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

"However, Richman's relationship with other Doberman owners was strained after she was forced out as treasurer of the local organization following a financial probe."

Very fishy. They could jump on any of these details but assumed it were her own dogs.

Edit: This article has more details

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1