1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Nail grooming tips

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by iceman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Max1mus

Max1mus Notable member

Yeah, he's moving fine. I guess he is clumsy and tends slide all over the hardwood floor when hes running. He also has a hard time in the sit position on the hardwood floor as his rear feets slide up underneath him to the down position, LoL. Why can't doberman have feets like geckos? :D

2. Rhynda

Rhynda New Member

Wonderful now people have a visual on what is going on under those black nails. Thanks for posting it.

3. llheya

llheya New Member

Thanks, spend 20 mins each day filing with a nail file-feeding tiny bits of licqorice-she now is pretty relaxed for the
    20 mins-will work up to longer. have never filed so nails are long-we are getting there. and they start to look good.
    reckon on a month or so-for the quick to slowly draw back. its also another bonding thing. and slowly file,file,file,file,file.... The iceman posting was the site that used. very helpful....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skylar

Skylar New Member

5. Skylar

Skylar New Member

Autumn tore a nail off making a mad dash from her crate when the doorbell rang. She got it caught and ripped the nail off and broke the toe. There wasn't much the vet could do except bandage it. It took almost three months but the nail did grow back normal and the toe still arches. Also, my two cents worth on trimming nails. I like to dremel. It is much easier on both of us and keeps her nails nice and short with smooth edges.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FredC

FredC Guest

1. Get a Peticure® from ebay or similier retailer..
    2. Unpackage the Attachment accessory..
    3. Throw Peticure in the garbage..
    4. Attach Peticure Accessory to Dremel Tool.
    5. Grind Nails.
    I use the Peticure® Safe Guard attachment on a Dremel® tool to grind my dogs' nails. I feel it gives a little better protection to the dog because the sandpaper drum and moving parts are covered except for the small circular area that actually does the grinding. The attachment also collects a lot of the nail dust in the cup.

IMG_0258.JPG
    NailGrinding1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh that's a great thing with the dust since that's a problem for me with my allergies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skylar

Skylar New Member

Great idea! Thanks! My Peticure is in a box with other useless junk I have acquired over the years. You know, the stuff you might find a use for at some point? Aha! At last someone found a use for it.

9. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

That IS a cool idea.!
    Here I thought I was being a wuss wearing a dust mask when I do it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JanS

LOL, same here! I didn't realize the guide thing would fit on the Dremel, but I never thought to try either. I know if you buy the one made special for the Dremel it costs twice as much as the Peticure.

11. Brienna

Brienna Hot Topics Subscriber

I've been considering getting a dremel to do ours for a while but I start to research and get overwhelmed and then just let the idea fall to the wayside. When we first got our two, their nails were VERY short. They had hardly any nail at all. Our entire house is hardwood and they were slipping and sliding all over the place. I read somewhere (maybe here since I notice there were a few mentions of traction) that longer nails would help with traction so I decided to let them grow out. They're obviously getting better traction now just based on the dirt and sometimes bits of grass that fly up behind them when they cut laps around our house, lol. They have managed to dig out small trenches around our yard. So, it's back to the dremel idea so we can get back into a nail trimming routine.

After reading on here, i'm worried I may have let them grow too much. I feel like they need a little help with traction because of our floors but I certainly don't want to cause them any unnecessary problems. Do I need to trim them down some or is it a good length to start maintenance? (on a side note, every time I would tell them to stay, they wanted to sit down. I had no idea what a challenge it would be to get them to stand. Add that to my list of commands to teach for sure, lol!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Brienna

Oh, and just for an idea as to how short their nails were when we got them...they came to live with us in November and I've only trimmed their nails once a couple weeks after they came to their new home. They were REALLY short.

13. JanS

They don't look bad at all but I would at least trim off the longer points to keep the scratch marks off your floor or anything else they might paw at.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

I LOVE the dremel!!! I wear a mask too. I will also do the nails either outside or in our 3 season porch,
    to much dust!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Brienna

Thanks, JanS ! That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. I figure I can use the dremel to keep them rounded/dull/smooth so they still have traction but don't cause too much destruction at the same lol

16. JanS

I know Marinegeekswife started leaving theirs a little longer for better traction in Schutzhund, but they still look very good when she uses the dremel.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Aw thanks! I've left them longer for traction in IPO, traction on the ice this winter, and because I kept forgetting to do them, oops! I think after so many years of keeping them super short the nails are just easier to trim close.

They look pretty good. And not too long to start Dremeling at all. Did you need a link to the video we made?

18. Brienna

Who doesn't love a good link? :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

The longer nail does nothing for traction on the wood floors,but outside sure they do.
    The sound on the wood gets annoying.
    Daisy is pretty good about letting me dremel,Rocky is scared $#!+less.
    I found a local groomer who will do him for five bucks!Ten is he's out of hand and needs two people.
    I'm thinking..bargain!!!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApapnNQukXg

And they are HELL on the floors.

• Like Like x 5