1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman Nail grooming tips

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by iceman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I originally bought that one as well but it didn’t hold enough batteries to get thru multiple dogs so I purchased the dremel 4000 corded version.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

It works great for 2 dogs but I’m sure for your gang a corded dremel is the best option.
    I do like the Dremel brand - the shape of the unit is easy to hold, it has a light on the unit which is helpful and I think it’s relatively quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We have the Dremel 8100, which is cordless and I can do many trims before having to recharge the battery.

4. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I'm a plugin lover...always has power and never a different speed...I use an automotive Dremel on low speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GOD'S GRACE

GRACE has become defensive while using the dremel... so, today we tried a hand file, with much success, only got negative feed back on the last nail...I think it was because she was getting tired... we'll try it again later.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The cat always acts up on the last 2 nails as well. They know and they try to play us.

Good timing on this thread. We are going to buy our own Dremel soon! We are thinking of the corded Dremel 3000 which is what K's nail lady uses but she does a ton of nails! Then there's the cordless version that Costco sells. Decisions! I shall reread this thread and hopefully arrive at a decision.

7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Do you still like this? Are you able to get through both dogs on one charge? What setting do you use? I was thinking to go with a corded version for steady supply of power, but with just one dog maybe that is unnecessary?

8. GOD'S GRACE

I prefer electric, better performance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GOD'S GRACE

One last thing.... a lease is a must to control the dog...other wise you're going to get a "stupid bump"!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Yes I still love it. Holds plenty of charge for both dogs. But honestly I have nothings to compare it to. It’s my first one. My only concern with a corded one is you’ll have limited movement range. With Princess she’s great in that she stays still but switching from one side to the other you still have to position the unit the reverse and I’m not sure how that would work with a cord or how she would respond to having a cord around her. Now Shadow she lays down and I have to contort myself in all different positions so that I can get to all her paws.
    Prior to getting it I used to go to the dog groomer and had them dremel so at least both dogs were exposed to the sensation of a dremel and I would be in the room with them and I watched how they did it. So by the time I started to do it myself I kinda knew what I was doing and they knew what it was. Cheese sticks are my high value treat that I use for nail trimming.

11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Groomers have the dog standing right? For his current trims he lays flat on a table and will give his paw so I'm hoping to continue that way. Does Shadow lay on a table or the floor?

I'll study the videos too so I don't mess it up!

12. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

She lays on the floor on an area rug in my kitchen. The first paw she watches me real close like I have to push her nose out of the way and then after that she’ll lay on her side- so that’s where all the contorting comes in. I definitely would not be able to use a corded unit. The dogs and I would be all tangled up.

Yes my groomer had them stand on a table with that leash thing around their neck.
    So how does your groomer get the hind feet?

• Like Like x 1
  13. GOD'S GRACE

I don't know about groomers, but to get the rear legs I stand right in front of the rear legs, I then put my knee up on the table Grace stands on right under Grace I reach over and do the opposite leg (and repeat on the other side)...by lifting her up a little I don't get the kicking.

14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Lover of Comfort, little Prince Oji happened to experience something during our nail trim session yesterday that I intend to repeat. It's been quite hot the past few days. He had been outside in it. I brought him in and set about commencing the session. It happens that our spot is the corner of a room where there is a HVAC vent. The A/C kicks on. I had not started him out so near the vent but, in the struggle, he was sort of bent over to the side, his face inches from the cold air. :facepalm: I know this had a positive effect on our session!

A contrast in temperatures played a key role a few years ago in getting him to stop peeing in his crate. Hot and melting sun outside. Bring him in and put him in his crate in the cool, dim basement.

Contrast and Comfort lead to Contentment and Compliance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I trim my dog’s nails around 7pm at night when they’re nice and tired.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 2
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Lol we have to be so strategic for these little monsters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

image.jpeg

I already hate this thing. So many parts!!!

Do I use the rough looking sanding attachment or the sandpaper drum? And how does one load the sandpaper drum? And onto what?
    image.jpeg

18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

And yes I read the manual. Both of them.

19. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Sandpaper bit. There should be a screw on top loosen that and wiggle the bit that is on there off. Replace with the sandpaper one tighten the screw. At least that’s how you do it on my model. image.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I got the Dremel 8100 cordless from Costco. It is quieter than the one that plugs in.

I see the screw. How is anyone supposed know that can be unscrewed? Thanks!