Doberman head and body shapes?

Wow he really does. What a handsome boy!
Behind that seriously austere and handsome face lies the eternal soul of a true 'Goofball'. This boy has pulled every emotion out of me with his silly antics and his naughty puppy behavior but it's always the emotion of true love at the end of the day. Bacall is the same way, into everything imaginable, including my heart!!:love:

Ok! I finally got a picture of the side of Apollo's head. (He never sits still) We just exercised so his mouth was open. He is not a show dog so he doesn't know how to stack properly. He automatically sits nowadays:p I'm gonna try to get a picture of his entire body in "stack" position and post it tomorrow. But for now, I'd like to have you guys critique the side view of his head! Just for fun:)
IMG_9934.JPG

Me too, please. I'm the world's worst photographer tho.....
And have never uploaded photos here...

Attachments

• WP_20161216_12_19_48_Pro (1).jpg
    WP_20161216_12_19_48_Pro (1).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 34
I should have suspected something when his litter had red, black, and blues in it.
Some dogs carry multiple color genes, so just cause their were blues and reds doesn't necessarily mean he is not the father. (might wanna go on Jerry Springer...Who's the father, lol!):rofl:
I personally like his head A LOT!
I went to see a red dobie before I found my girl Ruby and she had the thickest coat I had ever seen, course they kept her in a barn all winter, so I believe her body compensated for this to survive! I have heard of dobies having thicker/ wavy hair on their backs as well...no worries, he's a handsome boy!

Behind that seriously austere and handsome face lies the eternal soul of a true 'Goofball'. This boy has pulled every emotion out of me with his silly antics and his naughty puppy behavior but it's always the emotion of true love at the end of the day. Bacall is the same way, into everything imaginable, including my heart!!:love:
A true red boy : )

I will. I'm at work on a 24 right now. I'm pretty positive the breeder flat out lied about Vader's lineage. I should have suspected something when his litter had red, black, and blues in it. The father could have been a different one than the one I was shown. I'm getting suspicious that his family tree isn't all Doberman. His mother IS very healthy, and looked great to me though. He has a thick tail like a Lab, waaayyy too long of hair on his back that is wavy, and a very "wet" mouth too. I'm happy, he's a pet. If I had paid a load of $$$ with hopes of showing him, yeah I'd be pissed. My wife says he's perfect....

Here's some from yesterday, I'll take some more tomorrow when I get home. His back is straighter than in the pics, he didn't like being up on those very much.

View attachment 70513
Hard to tell in the pictures as he does not have definitive markings, but Vader may be Melanistic. It is the opposite of Albinism. I would do your research on Melanism as they come with associated health issues. It is not standard or accepted as a breed "color". That being said, he is a handsome fella. Can you share some more images of him with us? Does he have any markings on his head or his chest? How deep are his markings in color? If I was going by this image alone, I would say he is more than likely Melanistic, but hard to tell in just one image.

As far as multiple colors being in his litter....that is normal depending on the coat color allele of the parents. It would mean both of his parents carry the dilution gene. Many reputable breeders do not breed dogs that carry dilution to other dilute carriers as dilute puppies are a result. This being said, Fawns (Isabellas) and Blues are accepted breed colors in our standard. Albinos and Melanistic Dobermans are not. To breed to produce them is pretty controversial due to the health issues that they have.

Form should always follow function. A dog that moves properly should theoretically have proper conformation. We as conformation breeders breed to produce dogs to the standard we abhold to. A Doberman should not be large, or too thick or boxy. They should be muscular, agile, athletic and be able to jump through the open window of a car with ease. I will spare my personal opinions of the EU bred versus NA bred Dobermans in this thread as it should be used for education and should never manifest into a pissing match. Standards between the two types are similar

Discussing Doberman standard in NA is a lot of information. It's easier to go over specific regions individually in detail and then move on to the next. Otherwise you lose that detail and can't touch on specifics. Since you have been asking about heads Apollo's Dobermom, we can start there?

What you guys are seeing with differences in conformation and workability is the fact that most (not all) show breeders breed for form and function and tempermeant, not workability. They should breed for both! It is especially important for working dogs to have proper conformation, as working a body without proper structure can and will fail. They typically fail more quickly due to stress and strain on abnormal bones/joints. The working breeders breed for workability.

Some snipey puppies will grow out of their snipeyness. Some don't. At 6-9 weeks Aria was snipey. She has an ideal head now.

Head is one of the most important elements that define breed type. The head should be long and dry, resembling a blunt wedge in both frontal and profile views. When seen from the front, the head widens gradually toward the base of the ears in an unbroken line.

Eyes are almond shaped. Moderately deep set with vigorous, energetic expression. Iris should be uniform in color. They are medium to darkest brown in blacks. In reds, blues and fawns the color of the iris blends with the markings. The darkest color is preferred in every case. Expression should convey the image portrayed in the standard: energetic, watchful, determined, alert, fearless. Expression should be a look of intensity which should encompass the entire look of the dog. It is typically referred to as "the look of eagles"

Ears are normally cropped and carried erect. Upper attachment of the ear when held correctly is is on level with the top of the skull.

Planes of the head: top of skull flat turning with slight stop to bridge of muzzle with muzzle line extending parallel to top line of skull. Cheeks flat and muscular. Lips lying close to jaws.
Muzzle length should be equal to length of back of skull. Skull/muzzle straight and flat. Cheeks are flat. Ears are erect with straight edges.

Mouth: scissor bite (Lower incisors upright and touching inside of upper inscisors)42 correctly placed teeth (22 lower and 20 upper). DQ are four or more missing teeth, overshot of more than 3/16" or undershot more than 1/8".

This is a perfectly correct head. We can comment on the pictures because they are my dogs ;)
View attachment 70012
View attachment 70003

View attachment 70010

View attachment 70009

Different dog. Also mine. This is also a correct head, although she is slightly too wet in the mouth in this first picture, but she is not normally
View attachment 70004

Same dog
View attachment 70008
Beautiful masculine head
View attachment 70005

View attachment 70006

Good example of the difference between a bitch and dog head
View attachment 70007
I probably shouldn't bring this up, but since you mentioned about breeding for both work and looks, I thought I would. It seems strange to me that we would concentrate on one particular aspect for so long, while leaving the other. If a perfect dog was even a possibility, you would expect that dog to possess amazing beauty but ability to work as well. For a Doberman that was originally bred for protection, it would be a disappointment if that were eventually bred out due to conformation. Equally so, it would be sad if the only 'decent' working Dobes were not 'perfect' in conformation. Now, I love conformation. One of the reasons I adore the Dobe is because I love their 'look.' IF there ever came a time where you looked for a Doberman because you wanted a dog as beautiful in form as say the NA(sorry Euro, but for looks, I prefer the NA), but as powerful and capable as the best of the working Dobermans, then we might come to a time when there was little distinction between: NA(or SA) and Euro.

Now, it must be understood that I like the working line Dobermans because of their ability, but I also love the sleek elegant look of the NA Doberman. I just wish the golden mean could be found the become the standard for every Doberman not just one type.

Just to make sure here: You know I was critiquing Nero's head with those comments, right? I haven't written anything about Apollo's yet. I am maybe going to wait to see if I am the only one who is going to participate in this. I have a feeling the idea could end badly.

But to answer your questions:

I don't really know which, according to the breed standard, is preferred – if either, when it comes to the kiss mark. I know I really prefer the mark to be distinct and separate. Archer said in this thread that both are correct.

Snipey means a snout that is not substantial enough compared to the rest of the head. A snipey snout sort of tapers too much as well.

I only recently heard the occupit referred to as a "smart bump." Not all big dogs have it. Too much of it is not correct and does not look good.
Just a thought. When you explained snipey that way, I think I understand it better. The standard asks for a blunt wedge for the head, therefore, a snipey snout would not have that 'blunt' appearance in the same way, right?

Allright, here we go: Ever hear that Bible verse that says like "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?" :spit: I assessed a Dobe or two, now, I give you Oji.

First shot: Aged 6 months, 1 week.

• SNIPEY! Lack of underjaw (in fact, his lower – and upper – canines are actually shorter in length than what I've ever seen in a Dobe. Seems jaw area is just underdeveloped. This remains the case to this day.
• Looks downsnouted in this pic, as he sometimes does.
• Decent forechest in this position.
• I will brag on his nice cat-like paws.
• Eyes too round and not deeply enough set (this is maybe my biggest beef with him, and he has actually bumped the semi-bulging eyes on things, which is antithetical to being an effective working dog)
• I do fairly well like his marking coloration – fairly rich rust. I like his separated "kiss mark" or "clown mark" on cheek.
View attachment 70506
Below: Aged 9 months, 2 weeks: A strange side-note here: This appears to be when he was about 70 lbs., or even his pinnacle of 72 lbs. – before he dropped in weight :confused-alt: :confused-alt: well into the 60s. This, while he was supposed to be increasing in weight!! Now he is 2 1/2 years old and has just recently achieved 70 lbs. again.
The body:
• Topline takes an upward turn just before about 1/2 way toward the back.
• Tail set on way too low!
• Chest too shallow – not reaching the elbow.
• Not much forechest to speak of
• I like the thickness of the neck here. It also can have the long, arched look sometimes.
• Thighs muscled fairly well
I will note on the head in this pic: It actually looks good, though overall smaller than I'd like. Amazing what panting does.
View attachment 70507
Oji has beautiful markings and coloring! I really like his ear crop as well. These pictures and the explanations have been really useful for learning about Doberman confo and learning to identify it more easily. How is his working ability?

I do see that the tail is notably thick. I was just saying that it would be less of a visual concern if it were docked shorter. I'd much rather see a thick tail than one too thin.

My first Dobe had a tail on the thicker end of the spectrum. I had a theory back then, and I'm not sure that it's untrue, that a thick tail means thick vertebrae and thick bones. Anyone have thoughts on this theory?
I would agree on you with that. But I don't think that that is always going to be the case. On the other hand, if the Doberman has an overall even conformation, the thickness of the tail should match the body. It wouldn't make sense for a narrow Dobe to have a huge thick tail, or a even a heavy built Dobe to have a really thin one(although I think that is more likely than the other).

then we might come to a time when there was little distinction between: NA(or SA) and Euro.
I think part of the problem is that not that the standards are different between AKC and FCI, they are actually quite similar if you take the time to read them. Its that judges interpretation of the standard (or possibly lack of) are putting up typey dogs... and then those that are chasing ribbons seek to breed typey dogs and then you end up with a class full of dogs on one extreme or another with only a few that actually meet the standard but look out of place next to all the typey ones.

Back