Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman ear posting - improved method

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by JanS, Sep 1, 2011.

1. So sweet! I am glad I am not the only one who drops everything for a quick run to the store for the little dude! LOL :mail:

• Like Like x 1
  2. vonroo

vonroo Notable member

BOY I HAD TO LOOK TWICE THOUGHT THIS WAS A PICTURE OF MY PUP?( I HAVE MOT GOT TEHM POSTED YET) WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR PUP? I WILL SEE IF I CAN GET SOME POSTED TODAY?

3. vonroo

vonroo Notable member

HERE IS PIC OF MY NEW GIRL CLAIRE. UMM FOR SOME REASON IT SAYS FILES TO BIG? BUT I DID GET 3 PIC PUT IN ALBUM. HOPE YOU CAN SEE THEM THE ONE OF HER LAYING DOWN LOOKS A LOT LIKE YOUR PUP

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

She's a beautiful girl and her ears look great! I fixed it up for you so one of the photos shows up. :)

5. Atlasboy2013

Atlasboy2013 Hot Topics Subscriber

The application is a great idea with the exception of the glue...the wrapping of the posts with tape works much better in the sense "No hassle" with applying or removal of glue. That's just too much but nevertheless thank you for the tutorial, I'm sure it will help a lot of Dobbie parents. :goodjob:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Atlasboy2013

Atlasboy2013 Hot Topics Subscriber

Atlas now.jpg Here is Atlas in between posting change just after 3 weeks. The profile photos (Avatar) shows his posting as you demonstrated with the exception of the glue and the I wrapped them in that decorative elastic tape to make him look "manly." LOL :machinegun:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chief13

Chief13 Notable member

Hello everyone! I have been having an extremely hard time keeping my dogs posts in! He absolutely hates them in his ears. His whole mission of they day is to figure out how to get them out! He always succeeds no matter how I wrap them. I have done it Jan's recommended way and even wrapping all around the base of the ears and he still figures out a way to get them out! I see the way a lot of you have posted your dogs ears and that wouldn't last five minutes with my boy. I am having to repost every single day and they still don't last for a full day. Does anyone have any advice please?! I have watched tons of videos and it doesn't seem to bother most pups but Chief can't stand the posts in his ear canal. He constantly shakes his head to get them out, scratches them, rubs his ears every which way on the floor until he gets them out. I am so frustrated and just don't know what to do anymore! : (

• Like Like x 1
  8. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Chief try a few things here.

First things first check the base of the ears for any irratation, cuts, raw skin, ect.

Raven flipped and flopped a lot until I discovered a tiny little raw spot from the backer rod. Gave him a couple days to heal and he was good to go.

Secondly make sure the post is seated as far down in the ear as it can go.
    There is the stop where the backer rod will hit, make sure that this is nice an snug.
    When you first stick the post in, use two fingers to hold the post to the ear after it has been seated. This way the post doesn't rise after you have already pushed it down. Maintain pressure until you have tapped and the post can not rise.
    Some dogs are tough, but hopefully this helps.

• Like Like x 3
  9. JanS

I didn't really mean around the base, but at the very bottom before the bell starts. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chief13

Chief13 Notable member

Thank you CRD, I have had them posted up with the posts on the outside of his ears for the past couple of days. This way they are at least still somewhat in the up position and it gives his inner ear time to heal. WIll try putting them inside again tonight hoping they will not irritate him as much. Thank you again! David

11. Btaffair1

Btaffair1 Novitiate

He is such a beautiful pup!! Where did you get him?

• Like Like x 1
  12. JanS

Thank you! He came from southern Michigan.

13. danceswithjuno

danceswithjuno Hot Topics Subscriber

Listo is 16 months old and I am still posting. He has very long crop and his ears tend to flop over near the base not at the tips. I'm not giving up because I have faith that one of these days they will stand. Sometimes they stand for only a few hours and sometimes for a few days. It is driving me crazy. The strange thing is that they would stand for several days when he was much younger.

• Like Like x 2
  14. zener

zener Member

How stiff the ears get while posting? I'm still little bit off on when you know they are ready?

We fear to stop posting, because we don't want them to go bad. :D

15. danceswithjuno

danceswithjuno Hot Topics Subscriber

There are times when their ears are in a relaxed position, and sometimes in a position that makes them look like they are going to fly, but for the most part their ears are usually upright. When they can maintain the upright position without the ears flopping at all then you know they are ready

• Like Like x 1
  16. zener

zener Member

They stand nicely, but last time (about three weeks ago) we tried them for one day they started to wobble around when she was running... But they where still standing. I think it's just better to post them for some time.

17. JanS

Yes, I would keep going for a while. Better safe than sorry and the longer the crop the longer it takes it to firm up.

18. zener

zener Member

Yep, that is what I told to my wife. She is so eager to leave the tapes off. :)

19. zener

zener Member

Hmmh, I'm confused... It has been around a week without posting and they've been though. Now the tips seems to be a little loose but they still stand. Is this what you get or should we post them again...? For how long?

20. JanS

Oh yes they will often stand early on but we keep it up for quite some time to make sure they don't weaken. If that happens you'll lose ground and it will take even longer. A good rule of thumb is to go through teething before stopping since the teething can be really hard on the cartilage since their system is putting everything into developing the teeth.

Do you have a new pic of him for us? ;)