Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Doberman ear posting - improved method

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by JanS, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Blackenst9

Blackenst9 Jr Member

We did the same thing with Baalaur. The tip on the left one dropped over so he's in posts another month.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Argo

Argo Member

Thanks for the advice. Argo has a medium crop also. I think he would be good to go if I let them go now. But we've gone this far I think I'm going to wait a week or two more just to make sure. I'll let you guys know how it goes, with pics of course.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Argo

Argo Member

Hows Baalaur doing? I was going to send you a PM to see how he was doing. Argo is well, He's is the man of the house and is really latching on to my wife. Which is a good thing. It's good to know he's looking over the house when I'm on shift. Stay safe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you Jan.
    I have my ear posting kit ready for Klaus when he gets here. YAY!!
    I am a little nervous about doing it right, so your pictures really help.
    I will be taking him in for his puppy exam with my vet the first week. I called ahead and they will also show me how to
    post once he is at home. But we will see. My vet office use to dock and crop, now the will only dock.
    If I feel I am being frowned upon for having his ears cropped I will find a new vet.
    The breeder said she is going to go over it with me when I pick him up, and she wants to make a video for the new puppy owners to take home as well.
    I just want to make sure I am doing it right, not taking them off too soon.. and so on.
    I am getting so excited to get him home :D
    Thank you :ty:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Argo

Argo Member

Well, looks like Argo is done with posting. We're 2 days posting free and the ears are standing great. We're still keeping an eye on them but so far so good. I don't know who's more happy me or Argo. Here he is smiling after I told him no more tape and glue.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's a very happy moment for all and they look great! :thumbsup:

7. Argo

Argo Member

Thanks for all the help.

8. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Looks great!

9. loveNiko

loveNiko New Member

I'm so excited to get my babies ears cropped (may 1st!!) this very helpfull

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blackenst9

Blackenst9 Jr Member

Question... Baalaur's ears are struggling. His posts are changed every 5 days and aired for exactly 2 hours. His tips are still folding in towards each other. It's been 6 months since his cropping. Do I keep going? Or accept the fact he has dopey ears? Thank you.

Attached Files:

11. Blackenst9

Blackenst9 Jr Member

here is a back view

Attached Files:

12. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Keep going. Some dogs can take over a year to have their ears stand.

If it is just the tips you can use breathe rite strips. Definitely keep going though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JanS

I would keep going since it's not at all uncommon for the tips to do that for a while; especially yet at that age with a longer crop and thicker ear leather. You might be able to try the breathe rights at this point, but posting for a while longer might not hurt either.
    It looks like they're standing nicely, so I'm sure you can still get them the way you want. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. JanS

LOL, I think we were all posting at the same time... :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blackenst9

Blackenst9 Jr Member

How do I use the breathe rite strips??

16. GZRGXR

GZRGXR Novitiate

Don't give up!!!! That's my opinion anyway. You might be only a few weeks away from perfection. What are you feeding your boy? Diet has so much to do with so many things, is he getting enough calcium? New teeth and growing bones take away a lot from the calcium he needs for the ears to stand, maybe a supplement would help?

• Like Like x 1
  17. JanS

They're very basic and you just put them toward the tops of the ears and use either the Osto bond or fake nail adhesives to hole them in place.

Here's one pic of Albert with them to show the placement.
    Head shot June 7 12 sized.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blackenst9

Blackenst9 Jr Member

They work great! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  19. JanS

Wow, you had some on hand? That was quick... LOL

20. Blackenst9

Blackenst9 Jr Member

Nope ran to the store. Silly little guy is my whole world. :) thanks again!

• Like Like x 4