Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

Left to right. Red Backed Fairy Wren, two Double Barred Finches and a Honeyeater.
Wow, aren't those pretty! So neat to see different birds from another country! What a treat to sit there and have coffee and watch them! Yesterday morning my husband and I were having coffee on our deck and he whispers, hummingbird! Ughh every time I try to raise my phone for a photo, he's gone!

Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I were taking a break on the deck when I heard a strange noise. Even my horses looked up. By the time I was asking my husband, "what was that?", I suddenly saw a deer under The Apple Tree. I quickly grab my phone to take a video. When I got up to get a closer look, so did Buddy. Before I knew it he was down the stairs and giving Chase! And suddenly deaf! :tap: I didn't know the gate to the deck was open! :facepalm:Turn down your volume because I was screaming! LOL It took me a second to remember that he is 11 and 1/2 years old and a little slower. He would never catch up with him. But he gave him a run for his money. :)

 
No pics.
Saw a story on the news about Fairmount Park in downtown riverside a few days ago. A small portion backs up to the Santa Ana river basin.
Wild pigs:D
Destroyed laws and uprooted shrubs.


As you could imagine there’s no hunting anywhere around there, and natural predators? Perhaps an occasional mountain lion?
I’m not sure a coyote could bag an adult, but a pack probably could.
We have bobcats but I don’t think they’d go after an adult either unless it was sick or lame?
 
We don't have any predators like bears capable of climbing a tree to reach the nest so I guess the height isn't so important. They seem to look for nicely placed branches and a good all round view of the countryside though. Wedgetail eagles are protected but the farmers take a dim view of them and not above putting a bullet in them, so I hope the owners of this nest are ok, just not breeding yet.
 
I found this litte guy in the grass by the house. He looked like he just ate something because he was big right in the middle.


20190924_161208.webp 20190924_161231.webp
 
I'm surprised its not higher up and more secluded.
We usually see them in dead trees or on top of power poles. I think they like the vantage point of being able to see in all directions.

I saw 3 of them sitting very close together the other day and 2 were smaller so I'm guessing it was mom with 2 half grown babies. I didn't have time to get the camera out but they were pretty close to the road so it would have been a decent shot.
 
I went to the lake today to check on the fall colors there (for a different thread) and there was a loon just swimming around peacefully. Every time I hit the shutter button on the camera the turd ducked under the water. LOL
This is a color photo, it's just that dark and dreary.
Loon ducking under water Oct 2 19.webp
 
Things are getting pretty dire regarding water and this Kangaroo family were sticking close to the water hole when Jazz and I stopped on our evening walk. I had the camera with me to snap some native orchids I'd spotted this morning, which was lucky!
They are Eastern Grey Kangaroos and the big male is around a lot too, but not this time. He's a third again as big!

Mum and older Joey, with another one in the pouch.IMG_7437.webp

A close up of the sweetfaced mother.anim0196.webp

Mum and pouch Joeyanim0198.webp

Close up of the little one. :love:anim0199.webp
 
^^ Wow! Absolutely adorable :love:

How old will the little Joey be when he’s outgrown his mother’s pouch?
I'm not absolutely certain, but this one has probably only got another month or so. They start out about the size of a jelly bean when they are born and blindly crawl into the pouch and attach to a nipple. Then they basically finish their gestation so it is many months of pouch rearing. I'm going to have to do a bit of googling for the facts for Eastern Greys.
 
They start out about the size of a jelly bean when they are born and blindly crawl into the pouch and attach to a nipple. Then they basically finish their gestation so it is many months of pouch rearing.
Wow isn't that interesting! A jelly bean! Fascinating. So amazing to be taking a walk with your dog and come across stuff like that! I know it to you it's just your normal but when you don't live there it's just so strange and interesting! LOL
 
I'm not absolutely certain, but this one has probably only got another month or so. They start out about the size of a jelly bean when they are born and blindly crawl into the pouch and attach to a nipple. Then they basically finish their gestation so it is many months of pouch rearing. I'm going to have to do a bit of googling for the facts for Eastern Greys.

I find that intriguing! I didn’t realise that the babies were only 2cm long :eek:
I know that they have really weird genitals :wideyed: females have 3 vaginas and 2 uteruses and some male Roo’s can have a two-pronged penis with balls above it. Lol
 
Last edited:

Back
Top