Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

This guy was spotted out my kitchen window this morning. A beautiful web connected to our house, the tree and one long strand to our deck! I dont want them ON me, but I'm always in awe of their creations!

This hawk was flying overhead this morning.

VideoCapture_20190907-105354.webp 20190907_101912.webp
 
You have Cidadas too? It looks like a large one in the pic but there isn't really any scale. In Australia we have many ordinary Cicadas and also a variety of HUGE ones! They are deafening!!! :shock:
 
You have Cidadas too? It looks like a large one in the pic but there isn't really any scale. In Australia we have many ordinary Cicadas and also a variety of HUGE ones! They are deafening!!! :shock:
He was pretty big. About an inch and a half long! I didn't want to put my finger by him in case he took off...into me. :eek:
 
This adorable little guy showing up in broad daylight was a bit of a concern. He wasn't afraid of me or Joker. It was not easy trying to get ahold of Joker and using the pooper scooper to keep the raccoon from walking right up to me. I finally got Joker back in the house and was able to get a picture of him when I went back out. He's so cute. I love raccoons, but he's either very thirsty looking for water or sick to be out in the middle of the day.

raccoon.webp
 
This adorable little guy showing up in broad daylight was a bit of a concern. He wasn't afraid of me or Joker. It was not easy trying to get ahold of Joker and using the pooper scooper to keep the raccoon from walking right up to me. I finally got Joker back in the house and was able to get a picture of him when I went back out. He's so cute. I love raccoons, but he's either very thirsty looking for water or sick to be out in the middle of the day.

View attachment 100161
Yes I would be wary. I remember one in the middle of winter that was out on our back property; perfectly visible in the white snow. He was going round and round in circles. Someone told me when they do that it could be distemper. Because they go blind. I had to go out and shoot him. :( I couldn't take the chance. It was really difficult to do. It was the first animal I ever shot. I felt terrible afterwards but I had to think of my animals first.
 
Luckily, I found this guy before I started weeding! I remember my grandma's Cottage open Minnesota where we would spend some summer vacations and these spiders would be right by the front door! We used to call them banana spiders. But they are a common Garden Spider.

Argiope aurantia - Wikipedia

I'll never forget seeing these huge things and would never go through the door until my dad got rid of them! They seemed a lot bigger when I was a child LOL

20190912_074053.webp

20190912_074104.webp
 
Ugh... just had to decapitate this little guy. My husband and I were just standing there a few minutes before. He came in to get Echo and right out by the back deck, this little beast just hangin' out. OFF WITH HIS HEAD He was only about 16" long and just one little button on his tail, but.... nope...gotta go.

snake.webp
 
this little beast just hangin' out. OFF WITH HIS HEAD He was only about 16" long and just one little button on his tail, but.... nope...gotta go
I wouldn't want them in the yard or near the house either and it is dangerous to you and your dogs.
 
Last night I was out with the dogs and I always take a flashlight with me. And I always check the air in front of me LOL I know that by the time it's dark, spiders are weaving their webs and I don't want to walk into one.:pullhair: I saw this guy and was just intrigued by the beauty of his web! He was doing a fantastic job lol I told my husband I'm always amazed that in the morning most of the time these things are gone! I don't know why. It's like they pack up and leave! They must be in the trees during the day or something.

Now I was up very early this morning, like 4:30, and I went out there with the dogs and a flashlight and couldn't find it!:wideyed: I'm shocked actually. It's still dark out. I would figure he'd still be there. It's a little foggy out but my flashlight should have shown up like last night. I want to go out there again cuz I can't believe he's not there.

But here is last night.

 
I went outside again to look and still couldn't find the web but I finally saw the spider! He was right on the edge of the tree limb and looked like he had some prey from overnight. I had to bring my husband out there to show him that the web was gone. Neither one of us could believe it! We're like where did it go?

Last night
20190917_202651.webp

This morning
20190918_055616.webp

20190918_055628.webp
20190918_055648.webp 20190918_055701.webp
 
My guess is wind or some critter destroyed it accidentally!
Well there was no wind last night but I've often wondered if possibly something walked through it and kind of destroyed it. Maybe even something flying through it. It just has my curiosity up. I can see why they would do that night, thinking there are more bugs flying around. But the fact that it's completely gone in the morning is weird.
 
Well, I got an answer! My daughter-in-law's brother has a master's in Entomology and is our go-to Guru for insects! This is what he told me....

"It depends on the species of orb-weaver. But I'm guessing the one you have is one that consumes the web come morning because they are nocturnal. They will eat the web and then rebuild it the next night. To recycle proteins and nutrition that's left in the web. Others just consume the damaged portions of the web and rebuild the damaged parts each night."

Isn't that interesting!? I never knew that they ate their own web!
 
Isn't that interesting!? I never knew that they ate their own web!
Wow I didn't know that either but I'm always fascinated watching them build a web. I love it on foggy mornings when you can see just how many are out there.

I happened to spot this little guy on the Engleman Ivy the other night when I took the dogs out.
Green frog on vine at night wide Sept 17 19.webp

Green frog on vine closer Sept 17 19.webp
 
I never knew that they ate their own web!
Our sons oldest boy is 8 years old and really smart! And we always get a chuckle out of his endless chatter and telling us information that he's learned. One of his things was always saying, "Can I tell you something?" We always laugh because we knew it would end up in a half hour explanation of something. So when I learned about the spider eating its web, I said, "Can I tell you something?" :spit: And when I told him the spider eats his web, he said, " I knew that!" I couldn't believe it. The kid knows too much LOL So he goes on to tell me why it eats its web and he was spot-on. He said he reads a lot of books and he does! Every night when he goes to bed he reads, and I'm saying not just any book but books that you and I would read some time LOL. This is the home schooled kids. I am convinced, when doing it right, they can speed through grades! He is way past the normal grade he would be in if he were in school! And the normal life lessons they get right in their backyard are priceless. The observed an Orb Weaver like mine for a long time, taking notes and learning through observation. I love it.

Ok, back to critters!
Kali found this guy. He's in the corner of the window to her left.
20190920_065108.webp
Hello?
20190920_065136.webp
Can I come in??
20190920_065247.webp
And he did! Lol I forgot about him and when I opened the door, in he popped! I had a fun time trying to catch him again!

Kali found something out in the horse barn. She had her nose stuck in there, under the hay for a long time. I looked with a flashlight but couldn't see anything under there. But obviously she thinks something there is there!
20190919_072633.webp
 
^^^^^ Cute little frog but a worry when he wants in all the time. They would dry out really quickly inside and that's curtains for them! I hate finding dried up dead frogs that have trapped themselves somewhere. :(

And your grandson sounds like he is an information sponge! :rofl:

Oh, and I meant to mention that I found an eagles nest today on our morning walk. No eagles around but I'm sure I could see some newish looking sticks there so they might be getting ready to lay! :woot2:
 
^^^^^ Cute little frog but a worry when he wants in all the time. They would dry out really quickly inside and that's curtains for them! I hate finding dried up dead frogs that have trapped themselves somewhere. :(

And your grandson sounds like he is an information sponge! :rofl:

Oh, and I meant to mention that I found an eagles nest today on our morning walk. No eagles around but I'm sure I could see some newish looking sticks there so they might be getting ready to lay! :woot2:
Unfortunately finding a dried-out frog has happened more than once. :) but the odds have been in their favor for me finding them before that happens. I think I've kicked more out of my house then I found dead. :thumbsup2:

Yesterday, I was grilling dinner on that same deck and I can hear one making their croaking sound and he was really close but I couldn't find him. That night when we finally came in for the night, my husband was at the kitchen sink and here was a frog on the outside of the window! I said, there he is! I heard him but I couldn't find him. I wanted to make sure you didn't walk in with me again! I was trying to get a picture of him from the inside of the house but the screen was not allowing me to focus on him! LOL At least he was on the outside. :D

That's really cool to find an eagle's nest! No picture? Come on! LOL I'd like to see it even if it's just a nest.:yatta:
 
That's really cool to find an eagle's nest! No picture? Come on! LOL I'd like to see it even if it's just a nest.:yatta:
I don't often take a camera or phone with me when I do my routine walks with Jazz............too much chance of me falling over and destroying them! But I am going to make this nest a fairly regular visit and will take pics next time. I'm in hope to catch the parents sitting on eggs and feeding chicks! Gotta be careful not to put them off in the early stages though.

Just to make up for it I have been watching a nest of Double Bar Finches since I got back from my travels. It is in the bouganvillea right near where I sit for morning coffee and I've been seeing the parents popping in and out feeding and hearing the chicks making a racket at feeding time. This morning it was all quiet, and the Finch noises were coming from a nearby tree so I knew they were out! It's not my habit to provide water for the birds as they get dependent and it's a disaster when I'm away but I filled a dish and put it in a safe place for these new fledglings so they could get a good start.

The nestIMG_7386.webp

The chicks having their first experience of water. Mum or Dad is on the rim supervising!anim0191.webp

All the birds got word of WATER and came to the party!anim0188.webp
Left to right. Red Backed Fairy Wren, two Double Barred Finches and a Honeyeater. That is the male Fairy Wren and he has a treat in his mouth that he was dipping in the water, to entice the ladies.

And it is working. anim0190.webp
 

Back
Top