Chuck-It Ball Warning

Lizbeli

Hot Topics Subscriber
BEWARE- Jasper choked on a medium sized chuck-it ball today. We have always used this size with no issues- but today he must have caught it weird and the ball went straight down his throat.

It was so far in I couldn’t see it. I only knew it was in his throat because he was hunched over choking. Thankfully as I was running to him he coughed it out and was fine. (and still wanted to play, ding dong)

Terrifying experience.

I have been using these for years. I do believe it was a fluke thing. But make sure you always have 100% of your attention on your dog during even the most routine play time. I would have stuck my arm alll the way down his throat if I had to.

A27BBB55-E419-4F9A-9DA9-2A559E8DB2AC.jpeg
 
BEWARE- Jasper choked on a medium sized chuck-it ball today. We have always used this size with no issues- but today he must have caught it weird and the ball went straight down his throat.

It was so far in I couldn’t see it. I only knew it was in his throat because he was hunched over choking. Thankfully as I was running to him he coughed it out and was fine. (and still wanted to play, ding dong)

Terrifying experience.

I have been using these for years. I do believe it was a fluke thing. But make sure you always have 100% of your attention on your dog during even the most routine play time. I would have stuck my arm alll the way down his throat if I had to.

View attachment 119237
I was scared just reading your post. My heart skipped a beat. So glad Jasper is ok
 
BEWARE- Jasper choked on a medium sized chuck-it ball today. We have always used this size with no issues- but today he must have caught it weird and the ball went straight down his throat.

It was so far in I couldn’t see it. I only knew it was in his throat because he was hunched over choking. Thankfully as I was running to him he coughed it out and was fine. (and still wanted to play, ding dong)

Terrifying experience.

I have been using these for years. I do believe it was a fluke thing. But make sure you always have 100% of your attention on your dog during even the most routine play time. I would have stuck my arm alll the way down his throat if I had to.

View attachment 119237
Yes, any of the small, med and medium large balls can be a chocking hazard, especially with a active, high drive Doberman.
I am so relieved he was able to expel it!!
 
I had no clue the medium size would be bad. I look at it in his mouth and it looked just fine. In fact my home screen on my phone is of him holding his ball.

I wonder if their XL Ultra ball will work. Its 3.5” round? I tried the ones with ropes but they don’t launch well and I can’t throw for crap.

Any suggestions for someone who can’t throw but needs the ball to go far? With a bigger ball than what you see in the photo.

766E9A38-AFFF-41B8-B322-AF12C6AE84DF.webp
 
I had no clue the medium size would be bad. I look at it in his mouth and it looked just fine. In fact my home screen on my phone is of him holding his ball.

I wonder if their XL Ultra ball will work. Its 3.5” round? I tried the ones with ropes but they don’t launch well and I can’t throw for crap.

Any suggestions for someone who can’t throw but needs the ball to go far? With a bigger ball than what you see in the photo.

View attachment 119240

Chuck-It has a zinger thrower I believe. A round donut with a launcher designed for it.

 
Really scary to hear this! Those balls do get really slippery and I know from giving tablets just how big a Doberman throat actually is! I have seen Jazz catch it far back in the back teeth occasionally. I did try using those balls with holes in them but they just weren't up to madams expectations. :sour:

Does anyone know the best way to get a ball out? I imagine trying to put your fingers in would push it further. :eek: And a choking and panicking dog is going to make things worse.
 
I only use balls with a rope, they can still be swallowed but the rope can give you a way to retrieve them. Also helps to throw farther.

I must be an idiot because I can’t throw balls with ropes lmao. They go about 10ft. LOL and then I tried the one that fits in the chuck it and it doesn’t fly right.

Im thinking I just have a sissy arm.
 
Scary moment for sure! Even my little Kali has caught the ball so far back in her mouth that she struggled to get it out. Of course she could never swallow it, but seeing her do that always made me a little nervous. It's mostly when she's catching it in the air. The downward momentum of the ball and her jumping up for the catch sometimes lodges it deep into the mouth. I never have toys out in the yard unless we are playing. So many things happened so fast. I'm glad this had a good outcome. I, too, was reading your post as quickly as I can to get to the outcome! LOL.
 
I must be an idiot because I can’t throw balls with ropes lmao. They go about 10ft. LOL and then I tried the one that fits in the chuck it and it doesn’t fly right.

Im thinking I just have a sissy arm.
I really loved the chuck-it balls too, about 12 years ago. I had a dog almost swallow one, so I added ropes to them. They do fly differently but still would work. They just never lasted with my dogs so had to go to solid rubber balls for more durability
 
I really loved the chuck-it balls too, about 12 years ago. I had a dog almost swallow one, so I added ropes to them. They do fly differently but still would work. They just never lasted with my dogs so had to go to solid rubber balls for more durability

Ill have to try the ones with ropes again. Maybe I just need to practice. I can throw the regular ball quite far with the launcher lol.

This is what I tried in the past.
BF214E0F-2AEA-4566-8541-FD24E939B472.webp
 
So scary indeed! Great that Jasper hacked it up!!

Yes, I stopped using tennis balls with my Dobes some years ago after reading that a relative of my wife's saw his Weimaraner have one go down his throat. The dog jumped up to grab it as it was coming down, and it just went down too far. Story goes, the owner knew there was a vet who lived nearby and he rushed the choking dog there, but the vet refused to help until it could be proven that he'd be paid. Talk about Just Wow.

But yeah. Only softballs (as in, the ball used for the sport of softball) for my Dobes now.

Thank you for sharing this experience, and again, SO glad Jasper recovered from the incident and was unscathed – even mentally! Dogs are pretty tough, I say!

I hope this thread can prevent future accidents for people, or that there is another thread that will.
 
BEWARE- Jasper choked on a medium sized chuck-it ball today. We have always used this size with no issues- but today he must have caught it weird and the ball went straight down his throat.

It was so far in I couldn’t see it. I only knew it was in his throat because he was hunched over choking. Thankfully as I was running to him he coughed it out and was fine. (and still wanted to play, ding dong)

Terrifying experience.

I have been using these for years. I do believe it was a fluke thing. But make sure you always have 100% of your attention on your dog during even the most routine play time. I would have stuck my arm alll the way down his throat if I had to.

View attachment 119237
I have been using the Whistler Chuck it balls for years...mine have always chewed them like gum...walk around "nom nom nom". I never even thought about them sucking it down their throat! Thank you for the warning....I can't throw either, so drop kick it in the yard - I can kick it far! Perhaps you can give that a try :thumbsup: I never liked carrying the chuck it stick to the open areas I play with my dogs...
 
Do you recommend a brand? I need to order online, my small town just has Walmart, no pet supply chain. I'll just be using for training, not long distance fetch.
I make my own out of lacrosse balls, they are the only ones that hold up. But you have to drill them and install your own rope. I used to use the ones you could buy off Amazon but I was going thru 5-6 a month. EF15AD1E-203A-487D-A8E5-86433B4FAB40.jpegC7FEE9B7-BF38-4042-AB75-4ECA9BB8ECD0.jpeg8934CBF4-A768-4A54-B3F5-674FA04A6F72.jpeg
 

Back
Top