Good question at two years of age but I don’t believe you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Two years is not that old though but the puppy age is ideal.
My first one did not have it genetically in him at all. He would not play ball or fetch worth crap. I had to work day in/out to get him excited about playing ball. He was food driven (yours not as much) so I used that. He did not aim to please me but through daily training he had a really good obedience foundation so he would fetch only because I asked him to, not really the fun stuff he enjoyed. He loved to play tug and get treats so I used those as rewards to excite him about learning to play ball.
Anyway you are friends with another dog that likes to play ball/fetch? What really made a difference was when we got our second Doberman. She is really eager to please and loved to play ball. So him seeing her run and get the ball (excitedly) got him amped up to participate.
Expanding on how I initially trained the non willing to fetch: By himself, you just could not get him excited to go after the ball, period. On training days, I would not feed him breakfast, sometimes even lunch (same day) and then use high value treats- chicken, jerkey, sliced apples- and offer the ball. If he looked at the ball I gave his hungry arse a treat- then worked up from there. Looked at ball- treat. Touched the ball- treat, over and over. Then he associated his hunger to the ball to the treat. Toss ball- he would go to it and then treat…through days of training, he got to where he would get the ball and bring it back for the expected treat. Lots and lots of work done here…prob months of daily training, not all fetch but it was incorporated with obedience skills. That went well and he started to have fun with it, and then when my second Doberman came, she only made it more fun through competition.
Definitely and ideally you want him to have fun and give lots and lots of praise…that’s with all training not just playing ball.
A ball with a rope through it is better. It’s more of an animated object with the rope swinging around and if they “happen” to get it stuck in there you can pull it out.
My first
View attachment 151049
My second
View attachment 151050