Last weekend, March 5-7, were three days of trials on Saturday - Monday. We never had a Monday trial before and I'm not sure if I like it. Having trials on a Friday night seems like a warmup for the weekend. But Monday night we were all tired from the weekend and pretty much deflated by the time Monday evening rolled around.
A cold front moved through during the Monday night trial and for about ten minutes, very strong winds and pounding rain caught a blind waiting to run.
I had an opportunity to backup judge all three days in Crazy 8s and Master for a total of twelve blinds.
AJ ran great and my handling kept him from q'ing. I looked at all my handling errors so far this year and realized he would have had his RATCHX by now if it wasn't for me.
He had four runs. One run he just didn't find the rat and I can't fault him for that. It was behind a bale on the wall near the corner and he missed it. The ring has eight corners and he didn't show any indication of it. He Q'd with two rats his second run. His third run I decided to do a last sweep and ran out of time when we were clear with one rat. In his fourth run he was not strongly indicating on a tube, but checked it out every time we passed it, so I talked him into calling a bedding. It's a good thing the tube was empty because he then knocked it all over the ring and the judge said if it was a rat, she would have NQ'd us anyway for stalling. And we were clear.
I brought Anna for the Monday trials and she earned 10 points in her Crazy 8s firs run. She entered the tunnel on her second run and turned around inside it, then wouldn't go in it again. She didn't find enough rats to Q. Again, that may have been my fault. After my dogs enter the tunnel, I run to the exit and call them. After Anna entered the tunnel, that's what I did but I was encouraging her as I started running and she may have heard me at the entrance, so turned around.
This is a picture of me showing the rat wranglers where to place the tubes.
A video of AJ taking the tunnel on Tuesday. My teacher straightened out the tunnel after the trial so it was about twenty feet long with a jog.
I have my mentored trial this weekend and if all goes well, should be approved for A status after the committee reviews my performance. The judge development chair will be on site judging in another ring, so he will get quick feedback from my mentor. I was told about being mentored in this trial in January and I was praying fervently there wouldn't be a March blizzard to cancel the trial. It's very hard to get a mentored trial and the judge development chair said everything just worked out right that I was able to get it so quickly.
If you're in the NJ area and haven't entered, day of show entries are accepted. I'm judging Instinct and two each of Novice and Open trials on Saturday, and one each of Crazy 8s, Senior and Master on Sunday. Since I'm going down to help in the Friday night trial, I may also backup judge in Master Friday night.
