1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Bad dog food

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by JanS, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Just an update on this and I pulled two foods (one we feed and another that was recently being discussed, which is nearly the same as many of the grocery store varieties) out to compare ingredients, and to get another breakdown on why some of the ingredients in the cheaper varieties really aren't desirable. I realize it's a "to each his own" situation, but these are the reasons I steer clear of the ones with the questionable ingredients.

I can say first hand that we fed our GSP the Purina One puppy food, then moved on to Science Diet and even though he lived to be almost 16 years old, he suffered from constant allergy problems along with hot spots that I'm convinced wouldn't have happened if he would have been on a food without some of the disagreeable ingredients in the mix.

There has also been some discussion about puppy food vs. the all life stages formulas and IMO, just because it's designated as a puppy formula, it doesn't mean that the nutritional standards are much different after you sort it all out. Some of the protein in the questionable brands comes from meat byproducts and things like that so I don't find it as good as a tiny bit lower protein level from a better ingredient.
    Like I said, this is my opinion on why we prefer to feed what we do, and our mileage may vary, which is fine. :)

So here we go:

Purina ONE® Large Breed Puppy Formula - 1 star (star ratings according to
    dogfoodanalysis.com)

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein (Min)28.0%
    Crude Fat (Min)13.0%
    Crude Fibre (Max)6.0%
    Moisture (Max)12.0%
    Linoleic Acid (Min)1.6%
    Calcium (Ca) (Min)1.1%
    Phosphorus (P) (Min)0.8%
    Selenium (Se) (Min)0.30 mg/kg
    Vitamin A (Min)15,000 IU/kg
    Vitamin E (Min)100 IU/kg
    Docosahexaenoic Acid** (DHA) (Min)0.05%
    Glucosamine** (Min)500 ppm
    Glutamine** (Min)1.0%

INGREDIENTS:
    Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal,
    poultry by-product meal
    (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain
    wheat, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherolsp
    (form of Vitamin E), pea fiber, fish meal, animal digest,
    dried egg product, fish oil (source of DHA), salt, calcium carbonate,
    potassium chloride, potassium citrate, calcium phosphate, choline chloride,
    zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E
    supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate,
    calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12
    supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate,
    Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of
    Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Here is one quote on just what all of those ingredients mean.

Merrick Turducken - 5 star

Ingredients:
    Organic Chicken, Oatmeal, Barley, Turkey meal, Duck, Whole Brown Rice,
    Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols - a source of Natural Vitamin E
    and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots,
    Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium
    Carbonate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex,
    Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin
    Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold
    Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei,
    Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex,
    Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric),
    Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex,
    d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement,
    Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino
    Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 24.0%
    Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 15.0%
    Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 2.5%
    Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Calorie Content:
    3660 kcal/kg (calculated) - One pound provides 1660 kcal of metabolizable
    energy (calculated). One cup (100 grams) provides 357 calories (Caloric
    content calculated using Modified A****er Method)

• Like Like x 5
  2. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

i found this actually kind of cute... i had no idea....

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherolsp (form of Vitamin E),

3. DOBESRULE

DOBESRULE New Member

Hi i used to feed ,dillinger nutro large breed puppy ,dry and wet. I did reading up on this food and they daid that dogs were too dying and getting very very sick. I was talking to alot of people also and theysaid to pleasestay away from nutro. I know feed blue buffolo

• Like Like x 1
  4. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

LMAO :lmao:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grayghost

Grayghost New Member

Orijen large breed puppy food is , in my opinion, excellent. I fed it to my Anne from 12 weeks of age [when I got her] to about 13 months. The results were everything I had hoped for: correct development, wonderful health, etc.. She has been on Acana grain free food [same mfg.] after the Orijen puppy and she will be 2 years old in July.

Anne also gets a tbl. spoon of 95% canned meat, varried, but always premium/super premium, with each meal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MeadowCat

MeadowCat Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you went to Acana instead of the Orijen adult formula? I'm just curious.

7. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Novitiate

To throw my two cents worth in. :)
    I used to swear by Blue Buffalo but a $3000.00 vet bill later, only to find out they had put such high doses of Vitamin D in their food that it almost killed my oldest guy, I can honestly say I will never touch their food again.
    I have my pup on Taste of the Wild-Salmon and also ProPlan Selects puppy (half and half), and she is doing great. Nice shimmer to her coat, growing like a freakin' weed and active as all hell. Lol! She will soon be going on just TOW and no mixing.
    I do like Nutro Ultra but have found that to be too rich for my guys. One dog can clear the room in 2.5 seconds, 3 can clear the house. :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Katja Henriksen

Katja Henriksen Forum Sponsor Site Sponsor

Seriously guys, don't believe everything you read. I find it irresponsible to make a list like that (not saying it is anyone on here) over the companies that produce the majority of the dog food in the world saying they use 4D meat. This is not true. Can you imagine the repercussions for those huge international companies if they used 4D meats and the consumers found out? The risk is way to high and is not worth the money they can save using that kind of 'meat'.

Anyway my point is that it is so easy to just believe what you are told, but stop and have a think about it. It's good to be critical and ask questions, but remember to use common sense when it comes to the information you get.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Amber

Amber Hot Topics Subscriber

thanks for sharing. i posted it on facebook.

10. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Novitiate

Quite honestly though, I think what it really boils down to is if your dog is healthy, stools are good, energy levels where they need to be, and their weight, muscle tone are great...it shouldn't matter what food your dog is on.
    I had a client that spent a small fortune to ship a pup to him from Germany. He started with foods at the top of the line but nothing would make this dogs' coat look healthy. It always seemed to have a dull look to it. After going through nearly every option available until in desperation he tried MainStay (pig farmers use this as filler in winter). A 40lb bag is about $12. Amazingly, the dog looked absolutely wonderful on this stuff!! He had blood work done etc and the vet gave him two thumbs up. Now, he will not buy the food himself, he makes his wife do it. LOL! But it just goes to show you that although we have the best intentions, sometimes it's just up to the dog. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Denissov43

Denissov43 Notable member

for you Super Premium Kibble feeders:
    www.petflow.com
    has all the major super premiums at discounted prices and they ship entire order for $4.95 anywhere... and you can schedule your shipments and they have cat food, canned and dry and they have Orijen, TOW, FROMM, and many others.... great company and great service and prices and NO tax... and FIVE bux to ship 100 lbs of food! amazing

• Like Like x 3
  12. JanS

Oh wow, I've never come across this place before and the shipping from most places for us is almost as much as the cost of the food. Thanks for the link!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

• Like Like x 3
  14. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

I found the same thing Tina. I'm sure that site is wonderful for folks that don't live near a Petsmart or Petco or whatever but while the shipping is WONDERFUL the list price is a little high.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JanS

Yes, they always work the shipping into the price, whether it's a low cost fee or a high shipping fee on top of the base price, but as stated those of us who live in the remote areas do see some benefit from it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

For what it's worth,I've driven service vans for several electrical contractors and one of them had a service account with a local plant that processes road kill(I've seen county trucks back up to their dock unloading nasty road killed deer,coons,etc.)and other dead animals precisely for animal feeds.They wouldn't tell me what specific companies they sell their product too but Eagle foods does have a local plant and they market much of their foods as being premium.On hot days you can smell the stench a mile away and the Eagle plant has the same smell to me as the rendering plant. I think big corporations realize most consumers just want cheap dogfood and don't want to think or know about any gross ingredients.Look at how many popular dogfoods still have ingredients and preservatives known to cause cancer in humans.Unfortunately I think informed people like the posters in this thread are very much a small percentage,at least in the US.

• Like Like x 5
  17. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Unfortunately, I think this is true too. :(

• Like Like x 1
  18. Denissov43

Denissov43 Notable member

Petflow IS Great for super premiums NOT foods like Pro Plan that you can get at a Costco...
    Orijen, TOW, Fromm etc.. are priced LESS than what I would pay for them at the local pet food store where I would have bought them. The cost for TOW and Orijen is the same or less that a NON huge chain store like PetCo, (there is NO large pet food chains anywhere for 60 miles from me) so I am relegated to have to buy from the smaller more expensive pet food stores or online and then the price to ship is the same as the cost of the food... in the smaller pet food stores, local taxes are 11% plus the cost of the food and its always cheaper to get from Petflow.com...
    if you are close to a Petco and you like their choices, they will always be cheaper, because they buy in huge bulk.. The small local business store owners cannot buy like that so they cannot offer a discount.
    I chose Petflow.com because of that... and because I bought the more expensive super premiums like those mentioned...
    :thumbsup:

19. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

I bought TOTW before and it still would be cheaper i buy it here in my food and petstores and by the way, aren't you the one who is against kibblefood , because its so bad? And now you telling us, you buy it ? And no matter what you say, PP and other dogfoods aren't bad, you look at the pic's of Aesa and tell me she isn't healthy LMAO
    Everybody has his own opinion and thats great, but i do not like if someone tries to tell us, we all are wrong and don't do it right and only your opinion and your way is the right one.
    I pay for TOTW here @ 40 for the big bag, on this side its cost me including the shipping $ 51. But that isn't the problem, i can understand if people live in the middle of nowhere and have no stores close to them. And my dogs don't even do well on the high premium food, gassy and soft mushy poops. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Novitiate

I thought the same thing. Maybe I am wrong but I thought it was you who were telling us that we were feeding our dogs crap if we weren't feeding them raw? What was that thread called? something like Why is it so hard to teach Neophytes to feed raw?

maybe it is just me being a little PMSy, but it was the raw thread first and now because someone mentioned they found the list prices too high on this site, you seem to put them down? Good information is good information and everyone appreciates it, it doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it. You can't take it personally as that is not how their answers or responses are meant.
    Off Topic I know, and I apologize. :p

• Like Like x 5