Backyard Chickens?

Even with horses!!
Hahahahaha ain't that the truth. My uncle had horses up in the high desert and winters there are very cold, anyways I went out early morning to feed and grain them, saw that the water barrel was frozen and my friend was with me at the time .... Against my better judgement ( I was 15 at the time.) I got up on the corral and tried to break through it with my boot but also trying not to fall in .... Ya well I fell in and my there my so called friend busting up laughing hahahahaha I was freezing but it was hilarious lol
 
If you have the right set up they can be pretty easy...In Fl my husband built me this huge walk- in coop with a run that was 12 ft x 36 ft. Had and auto watering system and an auto feed. Don't have that here in Michigan but then again I don't have 30 birds...just 4. :biggrin:
 
@TheDoctor'sMom it really hasn't been that bad. We started simple, bought a pre made coop at tractor supply for $200... Figured it would cost about the same to build one from scratch, minus the headache of planning, cutting, etc. The feed and bedding is way less than I expected and they are super friendly. It is fun already to see each of their different personalities! I have been looking online and found a few different options to keep water from freezing since we don't have electric out there. Seems like there's a lot of DIY ideas that work! Worst case, I also found a solar one lol plus for me, the idea of them helping keep bugs down in the garden, fresh eggs, and the opportunity for the kids to learn was an all around win!
 
Ok update on my little flock! My isa brown pullet has unofficially been named Martha. I wasn't set on naming ANYONE until I knew who's staying and who's not but I find myself constantly calling her Martha. I think she's my favorite. She comes to me quickly everytime she sees me lol makes me feel special! (Martha flocker) someone will definitely be mother clucker and I'm still rooting for Kentucky and at a loss for #4. The only other route we may go is states or flowers, I'd sort of like to have a theme.

They spent their first night outside last night. It was a mild 50s all night and high 60s during the day yesterday and today. I brought them back in for the night tonight though, even though it's supposed to be mid 60s all week it's dropping to low 30s every night. So I'll gradually work them up to being outside. Hopefully this weekend they can go out and stay out. They'll be about 7 weeks old then and even nights should be staying high 40s at the lowest.
 
My isa brown pullet has unofficially been named Martha.
Haha! I have a friend named Martha! ;) Sounds like a lot of fun and so glad that they got outside for awhile! How did they act? Were they excited or acting like, "Holy crap, there's a whole new world out here!!" ? LOL

Outside full time is a big step.....next up your first egg! :thumbsup2:
Omigod, so excited about the babies growing up that I almost forgot about why you bought them!! lol!! Yes, the first egg will be special! :D
 
They were a little of both! The spent the night outside sunday, it stayed almost 50 and when I went to check on them they were all liked together on the ground. I moved them up top to the nesting box area to help them learn where to go lol by morning they were all excited and running up and down the ladder on their own all day. They seem to enjoy it, there's definitely a lot more space out there for them but also a lot of different sounds and of course weather.
 
I didn't want to get into the chicken forum. I get so over whelmed with the farm stuff...... I NEED SOME HELP>
I have 2 fawn & white India Runners(1M-1F), 2 Blue India Runners(1M-1F), 4 White Crested(2M-2F), and 4 Cayuga's (2M-2F). They are coming on 1year in May. They started laying eggs a month ago. I had started collecting them to put
them in the incubator. I had enough to put 32 in. Then I figured I would let them keep the rest and try to hatch
themselves. Well a week ago, I started noticing that eggs were missing, from their nests. Even the 1/2 buried ones
were gone. Each time the eggs come up missing~ I can't see any foot prints. (But the Ducks already have walked
over them- I'm sure.)There are NO broken shells. I have my ducks in the open, covered back of the barn, with a 6
panel dog kennel around the opening for them to get sun ect......So the critter had to climb to get the eggs.
Do you think it's Raccoons? If so how do I get rid of them? I'm scared it will start eating my ducks.
Tonight I'm going to put my Brussels Griffin out there. I will put him in a see through pet carrier.
Hoping to scare(with barking) whatever it is away. Any suggestions? This year I really wanted to sell ducklings and eggs
at chicken swaps. ......That idea doesn't seem to be getting anywhere!
 
Maybe snakes,
Thanks. The only snakes I have ever seen here are gardener & brown snakes. I've never seen them more
than 1 inch wide and 4 feet long.
The critter that is taking eggs, has NOT bothered the Chinese Goose pair I have, eggs.

I put the dog out there last night. When I put him out there, there were no eggs. This morning there were 2.
We'll see what happens tonight.
 
Anyone have any advice on quails lol ? Unfortunately I have the stomach flu today and hoping it will be gone by tomorrow. I was going to pick up 6 of them with the enclosure and everything. The guy is holding them for me because of my current situation. I'm very excited though lol
 
Just want to say that I looked outside today and saw my neighbors building a coop. Made me upset because I want to be the one with backyard birds...

It also does anger me some because I highly doubt that they know what they are doing or that they will take care of them properly.
 
Tonight I'm going to put my Brussels Griffin out there.
You have a Brussels Griffon???

I wonder if a live trap would work if it happens to be a raccoon. Do you have any weasels around? Those little buggers can do a lot of damage too and get through some pretty tight spaces.
 
You have a Brussels Griffon???
Yes. He is 8-9yo a rough coat. He seems to be doing a good job. Each morning there has been
more eggs. He sure runs fast out of the kennel, when I open the door!

I wonder if a live trap would work if it happens to be a raccoon.
We have been networking, to see if anyone has one we can borrow. No luck yet. I don't want to buy one,
as we have never had a need for one. In a couple days, we will have time to make a trap. We are going to
place a barrel with a swinging top, full of water. With a balanced egg on top.
We have to do something, as the dog (I'm sure) doesn't like sleeping/being on guard outside.
He seems to be doing a good job. Each morning there has been
more eggs. He sure runs fast out of the kennel, when I open the door!
I don't want what ever it is to kill the ducks!

Do you have any weasels
We had issues with weasels when we 1st moved here, and didn't know how to secure a chicken coop....
Since- we got good fencing no issues with them (it's been 10+yrs).
 
We have been networking, to see if anyone has one we can borrow.
We have one but I doubt it would be big enough for a coon. Not to mention it would cost you more to drive here to get it than it would to buy one. Your homemade plan sounds good.

Yes. He is 8-9yo a rough coat. He seems to be doing a good job. Each morning there has been
more eggs. He sure runs fast out of the kennel, when I open the door!
You never fail to surprise me - we need pics! I'm glad it's helping.
 
Last night was a 'get-together' with a group of us 'horse girls', as we call us! :p One in the group doesn't own horses but lives next door to one that does and has always been a part of our 'group'. She also bowls with a two of us. :D AND she is also the one that owns chickens! lol

Earlier, when we were talking about fresh hard boiled eggs vs. store bought, I had mentioned it to her and showed her my egg cooker video. She couldn't believe how I peeled in so easily with one hand! She was intrigued to say the least! Well, last night she told me that she finally tried the steam method (she didn't have a cooker like mine) and she said it worked great!!! So we have a winner! :thumbsup: It's works!

She has 17 chickens! And right now she's getting about 9 eggs a day. I don't know if that's a lot or not but its certainly too many for her! lol I keep forgetting that I can go get some any time I want! :facepalm: I will soon! ;)
 

Back
Top